Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
See, I kinda disagree with you there. I believe there is a lot more deterring investors than just the threat of bulldozers. Such as, for example, a lack of adequate services; crime; legacy costs; an environment littered with brownfields, as opposed to suburban greenfields. [/COLOR]
I'm not going to argue that services in Detroit are adequate. They are not. But do you think for a moment that gentrified/gentrifying neighborhoods in Chicago, Philadelphia, Brooklyn, DC, and even Cleveland all had virgin greenfield land with stellar services before people decided to move in?

Maybe I'm taking a longer-term view of things here. I believe that the focus should be on, "How do we make these areas attractive to people so they can reinhabit these neighborhoods?" instead of pre-emptively euthanizing them. Part [[but only part) of the reason Detroit is in bankruptcy is because it keeps spending millions of dollars on things that don't generate new revenue. $2 BILLION? To get absolutely NOTHING in return? Where the hell do I sign up for that amazing deal?

So really, this cycle feeds itself.