Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A Re-run for Movie Buffs, Tponetom

Originally, "Paging Ray 1936" [[My kid brother.

• September-24-10, 05:35 PM #1
      tponetom

DetroitYES Member

Join DateMar 2009Posts190

Paging Ray1936, Tponetom

Paging Ray1936, Tponetom
      I was going to respond to the “Three Favorite Films, and why?” but I did not see any “old dinosaurs” responding, except you.
      Your selection of “Casablanca” restored faith in my humanity. I was not alone.
      To begin with, there is no single, greatest ‘Movie’ for any and all Movie Buffs.
      My credentials for being a ‘Movie Buff’ are as follows:
      I have 325 Movie tapes and 250 DVD’s. That does not make me an expert in anything. It just reflects my tastes in Movies.
      As a child, in the 1930’s the Movies gave me Shirley Temple, [[Heidi), Errol Flynn, [[Robin Hood), Judy Garland, [[The Wizard of Oz) and Clark Gable, [[Gone With The Wind).
      WW2 gave us a plethora of War Movies. Casablanca [[1942-43) was non-pareil in being at the right time and in the right place and, most essentially, in the right mood. It had war, romance, music, heroism and righteous justice for evil.
      When you have Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, Claude Rains, Dooley Wilson, Paul Henried, Conrad Veidt and S. Z. “Cuddles” Sakall, [[with a supporting actor named Humphrey,,something or other…), you have the Movie Studio philosophy at its best.
      Now you may think that I have watched this movie a number of times. Well, you
      would be wrong. I doubt if I watch it more than six,,, or eight,,, or ten times a year, for the last 15 years when I recorded it.
      It does not take any particular mood for me to fetch out my snap brim hat and my London Fog raincoat, and then slouch down in my La-Z-Boy, pour a Scotch and visit Rick’s Place. I do not gamble, by the way.
      In 1946 a Class “B” movie came out entitled, “Till the End of Time.” It starred Dorothy McQuire, a very young Guy Madison and Robert Mitchum, [[in his first movie). It is a simple but accurate story about young, returning veterans of the war, trying to fit in to a society that was foreign to them.
      Six months later a big block buster premiered. “The Best Years of Our Lives.” It won a bunch of Academy Awards. Same story as Till the End of Time. I did not care for it. It had Fredric March, 50, and Dana Andrews, 37, as the returning vets.
      I have 40 musicals from the thirties to the seventies. Hello Dolly and the Music Man top the list.
      “To Each His Own” That’s another story.
      Recently, I have adopted Kevin Spacey, in any thing. [[Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil) and Matt Damon in any action picture and Robin Williams, in anything.
      And so, a note to anyone. If you can locate a copy of “Sweater Girl,” circa 1941, let me know. The title is very placid. College kids putting on a show, introducing a song called, “I Don’t Want To Walk Without You, Baby.” Such are the witherings and whinings of an old Dinosaur.

I found different versions on eBay, Tom. Click these links, I promise they are not virus-laden:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWEATER-GIRL...item3ce5ccb4ea

Film plot: Sweater Girl is an okay remake of 1935's College Scandal, and like its predecessor is that rare bird, a "musical mystery". Someone is stalking a midwestern college campus, murdering students left and right. Among the victims is campus radio personality Miles Tucker [[Kenneth Howell) and aspiring composer Johnny Arnold [[Johnnie Johnston). If this keeps up, there won't be anyone left to stage the annual college musical-and that would be disastrous! Without giving the game away, it can be noted that solution of the mystery is not unlike that of the first Friday the 13th film of the 1980s [[minus the blood and gore, of course). Amidst all this merry mayhem, two choice Frank Loesser song hits are spotlighted: the amusingly provocative "I Said No" and the enduring standard "I Don't Want to Walk Without You." ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

Trailer for the first one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=950GdcdmSR8

I'm pretty sure this next one is a 70s remake that didn't even rate a rotten tomato.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWEATER-GIRL...item41829328ca

If you want one and need help with ebay, let me know, we can do this!

My favorite, "To Kill A Mockingbird." Not sure why, just love the story, the scenery and the time period. Casablanca is right up there. Love a lot of new films too, but those to me are great classics. Smoke by Wayne Wang and the re-make or follow up are great too. Just my feeble opinion.

Gazhekwe"
    OH MY GOODNESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All my friends, come knocking at our door. They ask me out a hundred times or more, but all I say is leave me in the gloom, and here I'll stay, within my lonely room, cause I don't,,,,,,,,,,,,,, da da da da

I would have bet ten million dollars that anyone [[except us old geezers) would remember "Sweater Girl."
    I bought the tape of it about 2 years ago.
    In 1942 I was not yet 14 years old.
    The song was a smash for all times, with the above geezer and others.

Thank goodness for Turner Classic Movies, possibly the best thing on cable. It has enabled me to see many of the classics mentioned above as well as provide context with the surrounding commentary provided primarily by Robert Osborne.

Casablanca is an amazing work of art that succeeds on every level. The overall sweet sadness of worlds coming to an end set in Casablanca, one of the ends of the world, is chilling and beautiful.

Anyone else a sucker for those nostalgic songs of those war years of loss and separation.

We'll Meet Again

As Time Goes By

Lili Marlene

Lili Marlene [in English]

Tu Es Partout ['You are Everywhere' revived by Saving Private Ryan]

Lowell
    The first panel in your reply did not open. Vera Lynn was, to England, what Kate Smith was to America. The timbre in their voices would bring a gusher of patriotic tears.

Dooley Wilson was one of those few nightclub singers that made you put down your glass and just ooze a melancholy of many moods.

Marlene D. was not considered a vocalist, except for one song. That being "See What the Bovs In the Backroom Will Have" in her guttural vocality.

And then there was one. Edith Piaf! Oh my goodness! I can listen to the
    French Deity? Idol? for ever and ever amen. There was no one to match the throaty, gurgling, sexy,,,,,sorry, my aphasia locks up my brain for all the whimsy that I would like to spew out.

Sad, sad, sad ending. About forty something?????