Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    Is that a picture from the plane crash 1959?
    WOW I just took at look on Google Maps streetview of Harbor Island and what i saw taken in 2014 if I'm correct looks great!

Harbor Island itself is a very nice area. Have some long-time friends of my family who've lived there for 40+ years and wouldn't live anywhere else. It's isolated and surrounded by canals, of course, and is a close-knit little community with neighbors who care.

The rest of the neighborhood north pf the canals has certainly deteriorated from the time when much of my family lived there [[I still have a few relatives in the area), but there is also still a lot of nice housing stock and folks trying their best too. It's really a street-by-street and block-by-block thing. Lakewood, the street that you drive on to get to/from Harbor Island, is probably the best street in that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    Yes, indeed, I am a "he" if you were wondering, late 20's with a g/f. I like to boat and fish a little bit, like to stay active, take jogs, etc. Want a safe area to live in, I have a passion for the city of Detroit, big sports fan, I like what I see going on in the city and want to be a part of it.
    Take jogs all you want. I would recommend taking a friend along- a nice .38 special would be perfect. Or, Smith & Wesson has a neat new tiny .380 that would be a good jog companion.

Riverside is nice as are parts of Newport, Dickerson/Lenox is a breeze all new housing, Scripts is cool, parts of Piper and Marlborough [[sp) all have some beautiful homes. 4 riverfront and under maintained riverfront parks for jogging.

Why not try renting a condo on the northern tip of Grayhaven Island, they also have public/ private marinas in that compound. If security is an issue its actually triple gated and have round the clock security at the primary gate.
    Last edited by sumas; August-23-14 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    Yes, indeed, I am a "he" if you were wondering, late 20's with a g/f. I like to boat and fish a little bit, like to stay active, take jogs, etc. Want a safe area to live in, I have a passion for the city of Detroit, big sports fan, I like what I see going on in the city and want to be a part of it.
    Nice area, but I would invest in a good alarm system and maybe some personal protection equipment. Not sure how quickly the police would be able to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Nice area, but I would invest in a good alarm system and maybe some personal protection equipment. Not sure how quickly the police would be able to respond.
    DPD already stated they will no longer be responding to alarms going off.

Has anyone parked in the nearby park and walked to Harbor Island? I have a friend who is a boater, I think he would enjoy seeing the area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2