Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Only in Detroit could a person point to tens of millions of dollars of investment by a diverse group of hundreds of stakeholders with a combined payroll in the millions and be called a "pollyanna."
    Really? Then Detroit underwent an enormous revitalization in the late 1970's, correct?

In a few short years, downtown Detroit only received a luxury Somerset-style shopping mall, a high end hotel that was tallest in the world and 4-40 floor office towers.

Can you imagine any of this happening today? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2.../BIZ/308210027
    Here's the hard data bham was asking for ;-). Also in this mentions that there is a group working to save the metropolitan building!
    Well this explains it. You don't know the meaning of the word "data".

DetNews/Freep rah-rah articles are the furthest possible thing from "hard data". They've been bloviating on an imminent Detroit Renaissance since the smoke from the riots cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Really? Then Detroit underwent an enormous revitalization in the late 1970's, correct?

In a few short years, downtown Detroit only received a luxury Somerset-style shopping mall, a high end hotel that was tallest in the world and 4-40 floor office towers.

Yeah, and it was all on one block and intended to save the city from itself by sealing all safely inside. It also did not involve a single residence nor a single person or corporate entity moving into the city from without.

What was happening at the corner of Woodward and Grand River then? At Canfield at Second? In Corktown? West Village? In Poletown [[oh yeah, Coleman was about to tear it all down)? In short, what positive trends were unfolding in 1979? Not too many right?

Well this explains it. You don't know the meaning of the word "data".

DetNews/Freep rah-rah articles are the furthest possible thing from "hard data". They've been bloviating on an imminent Detroit Renaissance since the smoke from the riots cleared.
    I am pretty sure that article is correct. Downtown Detroit really has improved in the past five years, as has Corktown and Midtown. I would take a drive down Woodward sometime and look at all the new developments south of Grand Blvd. It's definitely promising! They are removing blight and building new condos and apartments where blight once stood. It still isn't completely revitalized [[both Cass Corridor south of MLK/Mack and Brush Park are still full of abandoned buildings and future potential) but it is a step in the right direction compared to what inner city Detroit was in the 90s.

It was all the same building. It was one single project.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Pollyannas are one thing. But those who dismiss what's going on between the river and the boulevard are like those who would look at the top 1/10 of the iceberg and dismiss it as a mere ice floe...
    So in this analogy, is Bham1982 the Titanic?

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    So in this analogy, is Bham1982 the Titanic?
    Bham has his own reasons for tenaciously sticking to his "facts" I'm sure. Frankly, one of the things I've always loved about Detroit is that there are very few people like him around.

Clearly his fault for having a nice thing. Even in the green zone, you don't get to have nice things.

We love that General Motors has decided to keep its business operations right in downtown Detroit. The downtrodden city’s economy and job market essentially relies on the company’s presence. There is some downsides to working in Detroit though, something Chevrolet global marketing chief Tim Mahoney learned the hard way earlier this month.

Upon walking out from his condo to his 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe, Mahoney discovered the wheels had been stolen off of it. The thieves appear to have left the car on some bricks and rocks and frankly, were surprised the SUV didn’t topple off of them. Mahoney is fortunate his Tahoe didn’t have more damage done to it, as he said he only managed to get “425 miles on the odometer before the wheels went missing.”

Mahoney isn’t a Detroit native, growing up in the safe and small town of Haddonfield, New Jersey. We’d be surprised to learn that anyone had ever stolen anything in Haddonfield, so Mahoney probably isn’t used to having to watch for rim thieves. Welcome to Detroit, Tim. Enjoy your stay.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/08/...#ixzz3B8B44Oez

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Clearly his fault for having a nice thing. Even in the green zone, you don't get to have nice things.

This exact same thing happened to me when I was in high school living at my parents house. Except guess where it happened? The beautiful white suburbia that is Rochester hills. In one of those moceri subdivisions where no crime happens right? Walked out onto the driveway and saw our families SUV sitting on bricks. This happens everywhere. More so in Michigan because of all the autoworkers who know what they're doing

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    This exact same thing happened to me when I was in high school living at my parents house. Except guess where it happened? The beautiful white suburbia that is Rochester hills. In one of those moceri subdivisions where no crime happens right? Walked out onto the driveway and saw our families SUV sitting on bricks. This happens everywhere. More so in Michigan because of all the autoworkers who know what they're doing
    In which place was it "news" that is met with outrage and a demand "something be done!" and in which place is it viewed as common occurrence and comes with blaming the victims for being stupid or naive in leaving their car out overnight?
    Last edited by bailey; August-22-14 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    In which place was it "news" that is met with outrage and a demand "something be done!" and in which place is it viewed as common occurrence and comes with blaming the victims for being stupid or naive in leaving their car out overnight?
    Talk about blaming the victims, bailey: Sounds to me like you're blaming the people who are too poor to leave a high-crime neighborhood for … being too poor to leave a high-crime neighborhood.

I mean, that's our regional solution to social ills, right? Move away. This depletes the tax base in a neighborhood and makes it difficult to police effectively. And then people who can't leave know it's futile to prevail upon an ineffective and overworked police force, so they come up with other strategies.

What you say isn't anything I haven't heard a zillion times, but to blame the people who have to confront crime every day with being comfortable with it seems like that same old entitled suburban mentality, busting on the poor for being poor … doesn't it?

Midtown is slowly becoming the retail district of Detroit. Downtown will not be that any longer

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Midtown is slowly becoming the retail district of Detroit. Downtown will not be that any longer
    I think you'll see shops that cater to tastes for the different areas. You won't see a place like Hugh downtown, but it fits more than perfectly in Midtown. At least that's how I see it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4