Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hah! I got a sardonic chuckle out of how you wrote part of that... though you will be asked to show driving related 'papers' if you speed thru most of the Pointes, so I make sure I'm right at the speed limit!

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    ...Let's try to stay rational here, please:
    There is no wall.
    There are no guard towers.
    Nobody will be stopped and and told to show their papers.
    There are not dozens of streets blocked off from Detroit.
    There is no sign telling Detroit folks to keep out.
    There are no secret police roaming among the crowds in the street waiting to drag Detroiters back across the border.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-16-14 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    For your sake I do hope that wishful thinking is enough to keep blight out of the Pointes. However, I think when you take a look at the bigger picture you'll find something going on far beyond just code enforcement and solving petty crimes. The Detroit News would've been performing a better public service for both the Pointes and Detroit had they decided to bring attention to that instead. But like I said they're either being disingenuous or they're clueless.
    re read my post. I think you missed the point. Ordinance enforcement will keep the blight out.

I see the big picture fine, thanks. Folks might want to spend more time working on their city's problems and less agonizing over ours.

Uh... Am I the only one who noticed something funny in the picture with that article? It was staged right? Funny Lol!
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; August-16-14 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    I see the big picture fine, thanks. Folks might want to spend more time working on their city's problems and less agonizing over ours.
    That attitude is the reason Metro Detroit is such a shit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That attitude is the reason Metro Detroit is such a shit hole.
    Exactly right, but could we put it more like "that attitude damn near destroyed us but now that it is finally abating we will make a significant come back"

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Uh... Am I the only one who noticed something funny in the picture with that article? It was staged right? Funny Lol!
    If you're referring to the street signs, I think they took the photo with a long focal length lens from a couple blocks away. If you're referring to the riderless bike, I think the guy next to it is holding it up. Or am I looking at the wrong picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    If you're referring to the street signs, I think they took the photo with a long focal length lens from a couple blocks away. If you're referring to the riderless bike, I think the guy next to it is holding it up. Or am I looking at the wrong picture?
    Its the riderless bike. Damn near every old white ex-Detroiter who is a blatant racist that I have engaged in a conversation on race [[because of their obviously racist point of view) has almost always said "they would come to our nieborhood and steal our bikes".

Its the riderless bike. Damn near every old white ex-Detroiter who is a blatant racist that I have engaged in a conversation on race [[because of their obviously racist point of view) has almost always said "they would come to our nieborhood and steal our bikes".
    Oh, okay. I get it now. Yeah, it does look kind of funny. You have a sharp eye.

Oh for God's sake. This is getting beyond stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Oh for God's sake. This is getting beyond stupid.
    LMAO!!! That is what makes it so damn funny!

It looks like there are three sheds. Pity. That means I can't use Monty Python - Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson.

Well I had to run up to Pointe Hardware, so I took a stroll through the GP Farmer's Market. Had a couple of golabki for lunch, bought a few items. Atmosphere is relaxed. The Farmer Barns now have sunflowers painted on them. People were sitting outside @ the restaurants, eating, drinking, talking, texin'. Nice vibe. Several of the vendors are African-American, as were shoppers in the crowd. Thought about these two threads, and how narrow minded some people are.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well I had to run up to Pointe Hardware, so I took a stroll through the GP Farmer's Market. . . .Several of the vendors are African-American, as were shoppers in the crowd. Thought about these two threads, and how narrow minded some people are.
    They've already figured out how to get around the barns?? And now they're selling things there?

And with this free trolley, there's no telling where they will go next.

Boy, this sure backfired on the Pointes.

...Either that or it is working exactly as planned in drawing all sorts of people to the Kercheval business district in an attempt to revitalize the sleepy area.

I copied this from the comments section following the Det News article. Having lived on the other side of the Barns in my youthful formative years I remember the days before blight touched the Jeff Chalmers area and these comments pretty much sums up my personal views on the issue...People should get on with the livin already and try and enjoy GPPs efforts to breathe life into the first few hundred yards of its community!

"One thing people seldom mention -- they probably don't have the eyewitness historical perspective -- is that before the 1967 riots started people fleeing, and before the 20-year reign of Coleman Young, the east side of Detroit actually did look like Grosse Pointe. At any given point along the border, the houses on either side were comparable, and the main signal to tell you where you were was the way the teenage boys combed their hair. Now it's impossible to see how similar the neighborhoods once were. It's one curious aspect of the American "social justice" mentality that a community that destroys itself is deemed a victim, while a community that preserves itself is stridently criticized for it."

It's never been too hard to get around them, there's a side road right nearby, or just do down the next street and come around. I've had lunch in the area from time to time, or going to Trader Joes recently.

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    They've already figured out how to get around the barns?? And now they're selling things there?

And with this free trolley, there's no telling where they will go next.

Boy, this sure backfired on the Pointes.

...Either that or it is working exactly as planned in drawing all sorts of people to the Kercheval business district in an attempt to revitalize the sleepy area.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-17-14 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    I copied this from the comments section following the Det News article. Having lived on the other side of the Barns in my youthful formative years I remember the days before blight touched the Jeff Chalmers area and these comments pretty much sums up my personal views on the issue...People should get on with the livin already and try and enjoy GPPs efforts to breathe life into the first few hundred yards of its community!

"One thing people seldom mention -- they probably don't have the eyewitness historical perspective -- is that before the 1967 riots started people fleeing, and before the 20-year reign of Coleman Young, the east side of Detroit actually did look like Grosse Pointe. At any given point along the border, the houses on either side were comparable, and the main signal to tell you where you were was the way the teenage boys combed their hair. Now it's impossible to see how similar the neighborhoods once were. It's one curious aspect of the American "social justice" mentality that a community that destroys itself is deemed a victim, while a community that preserves itself is stridently criticized for it."
    Here is that misunderstanding of the problem again. Detroit's population started to decline in the early 1950s and the city had lost over 300,000 residents before the 1967 riots. The east side of Detroit may not have looked emptied and abandoned like it does now, but emptiness and abandonment was well on its way there with or without the riots.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hah! I got a sardonic chuckle out of how you wrote part of that... though you will be asked to show driving related 'papers' if you speed thru most of the Pointes, so I make sure I'm right at the speed limit!

Used to be that you'd be cool if you had the dance steps, but someone screwed THAT up.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2