Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ItsJeff Bench

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Sounds to me like a scrapper, versus any grass cutting machine that I know of. A grass machine would not bang into anything. If not a scrapper, then perhaps someone of the dumbass variety would be responsible.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this bench purchased via donations?
    I can't really imagine any type of mower doing that type of damage, especially without doing some damage to the mower and having some sort of repercussions on the operator by the people that hired the person to operate it. I think that Johnny 5 is correct that having some sort of pad around it would be beneficial to protect it from mowers or weed whips, and also make it easier for the people maintaining the lawn to do their work. I still have a hard time however, believing that all this damage is being done by a mow crew.

One more thing. Are they actually still mowing this time of year or even in the last week or so. That would be reasonably aggressive on the DNR's part. Maybe the climate is a bit different there than I remember. But I live a few miles north of 8 mile, a few hundred miles west, and we stopped mowing about three weeks ago.

typically contracts are 28 weeks. I have been pursuing this issue but am not getting call backs. I started at the top of the food chain and worked my way down It should be a simple matter. Contractors are employed and all they had to do after a site inspection was bill the contractor. Repeated calls and no call backs so today I will make one last call and mention I will contact his boss.

Will meet with Rashida. state rep today at a meeting and Belle Isle is under her purview. Also know the detroit Parks and Recs director, not well but well enough to have his home #. More details to add but I can barely see the screen. The one complete eye surgery but was for distance. Today the patch comes off for near vision. Lots to say but reading the screen from 3 feet away and approaching to type is no mean feat. I do have a whole plan of action and this will get resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Sounds to me like a scrapper, versus any grass cutting machine that I know of. A grass machine would not bang into anything. If not a scrapper, then perhaps someone of the dumbass variety would be responsible.

Don't know about donations, but after seeing the two different types of mowers in action within the last few days in Chandler Park I am absolutely convinced it is those machines run amok which've caused the damage to the bench.

Both have decks which extend beyond the safety wheels with bumper walls roughly 4-6 inches above the ground when mowing, exactly where the scrapes are on the metal standards of the bench. Exactly.

They ARE still cutting grass...so they cannot be eliminated from culpability. Not that easy, sorry. It ain't scrappers, because this is pig iron...and it is NOT being taken, the parts are scattered under the bench. It is being demolished over time by reckless grass cutting employees, I have little to no doubt now.

So...

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I can't really imagine any type of mower doing that type of damage, especially without doing some damage to the mower and having some sort of repercussions on the operator by the people that hired the person to operate it. I think that Johnny 5 is correct that having some sort of pad around it would be beneficial to protect it from mowers or weed whips, and also make it easier for the people maintaining the lawn to do their work. I still have a hard time however, believing that all this damage is being done by a mow crew.
    We're aiming for there to be some sort of repercussions. Believe that. It is the mow crew.

And yes, the discussions have all been about the replacement being more robust, as well as some form of perimeter protection...even if the new bench is made of concrete. Perhaps some form of shield over the marker stone, too, because it appears that someone has spilled something at least twice on it. I don't even want to think about anyone purposely doing damage to an engraved and polished memorial stone. If so, I'd ask special permission to allow Jeff's spirit to haunt them, forever.

Wouldn't that be nice?!

Sincerely,
    John

Yes, it was.

I am seriously having a fit of giggles. Honestly, do government employees have a kill switch on their phones? Phone rang twice I answered, no one there. Message left.

Message was amusing. Dude put it back on me. Apparently I was supposed to email him regarding a "proposed" memorial for ITS Jeff. Last I looked it existed, Just wanted to know who was paying for the damage done by their contractors. Go figure. I don't have a pot to piss in but will put up the first $100 dollars for making it a special memorial. Fuck government.

Did get a call back from some secretary with a fancy name for being a flunky. She tells my husband to come and pick up papers to dedicate ITS JEFF memorial.

We go and all of a sudden we now need to email [[again) a formal request for papers. They have no clue where it is located, which was spelled out, didn't bother to check the site or damage done. They averred that they take no responsibility and I was told I was rude when I confirmed that they have no intention to repair said damage. I actually did ask my husband if I was rude and he said "no way". No voices raised except hers. She did buzz something and she got state cop support circling a small office. Sad actually, my husband uses a walker, I am still legally blind, kind of doubt we looked threatening,

Off course her boss was in a meeting. Like why a meeting? State police have scared everyone off. Gannon was right, its an occupation zone. We were the only citizens on the Island but plenty of state cops snoozing in running vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Did get a call back from some secretary with a fancy name for being a flunky. She tells my husband to come and pick up papers to dedicate ITS JEFF memorial.

We go and all of a sudden we now need to email [[again) a formal request for papers. They have no clue where it is located, which was spelled out, didn't bother to check the site or damage done. They averred that they take no responsibility and I was told I was rude when I confirmed that they have no intention to repair said damage. I actually did ask my husband if I was rude and he said "no way". No voices raised except hers. She did buzz something and she got state cop support circling a small office. Sad actually, my husband uses a walker, I am still legally blind, kind of doubt we looked threatening,

Off course her boss was in a meeting. Like why a meeting? State police have scared everyone off. Gannon was right, its an occupation zone. We were the only citizens on the Island but plenty of state cops snoozing in running vehicles.

The joys of government bureaucracy!

Perhaps it's time to forget the red tape and just get this done. I realize someone or something did the damage, but pressing the matter with the DNR could have unintended consequences [[There's no guarantee that they will even allow the replacement of the bench). Perhaps a covert trip with a replacement, but similar styled bench is in order? I have a nondescript white cargo van and a couple neon green construction vests. If we get caught and questioned no one says a word!

Oy Vey! Will you quit being so melodramatic? Not everything in life is an epic battle with you against the Egyptians. Feh! I really don't believe for a minute that there were scores of police officers sleeping or that you took a count of them.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; November-18-14 at 11:09 PM.

Oy Vey yourself. Fey... counted 5 cars with snoozing state police. Hardly a drama queen, just a citizen that believes government should work with us.

Your Yiddish is so limited. Quit pretending to be a Jew. I am of Jewish descent and you offend me.

Apparently wanting to assist in what is considered a sweet memorial and want it maintained is too beyond your ability to comprehend.

For others that care, We are on the next level of govenment regarding ITS JEFF.

My dear sweet Sumas; You state that I am "pretending to be a Jew". You could not be more misguided as my faith is indeed genuine and it is very strong. It is unfortunate that me being Jewish is so offensive to you. But I was born this way, and I enjoy it. Your intolerance is quite stunning and within character.

When one's faith has been challenged, as you have doubted mine, one might certainly be offended. But I beg to inform you that you do not not offend me for I do consider the source from whence the insult came.

I will pray for you in services this weekend. May you find peace within yourself.

Biz shpeter and nem zich a vaneh!

My dear sweet Sumas; You state that I am "pretending to be a Jew". You could not be more misguided as my faith is indeed genuine and it is very strong. It is unfortunate that me being Jewish is so offensive to you. But I was born this way, deal with it. Your intolerance is quite stunning and within character.

When one's faith has been challenged, as you doubt mine, one might certainly be offended. But I beg to inform you that you do not not offend me for I do consider the source from whence it came.

I will pray for you in services this weekend. May you find peace within yourself.

Biz shpeter. Nem zich a vaneh!

I thank you for prayers, just not insults. My "dear sweet Sumas" comment is meant to belittle.

I do try very hard to be a good citizen. Despite Jewish origins which I honor, I am Christian and honor those values too. My city, area kids mean the world to me.

So please pray in your services, as I will for you. Sumas

I thank you for prayers, just not insults. My "dear sweet Sumas" comment is meant to belittle.

I do try very hard to be a good citizen. Despite Jewish origins which I honor, I am Christian and honor those values too. My city, area kids mean the world to me.

So please pray in your services, as I will for you. Sumas
    No, "My dear sweet" is not meant to belittle. Rather it is meant to embrace you and to bring you out of your perpetual self-persecuted funk. You see, i do not look down on you, I do not hate you, I do not put myself above you as you put yourself above others.

Try to look for common ground. Try to look for camaraderie. Try to walk among your fellow human beings instead of always trying to best them and holding yourself above all others. One who constantly holds himself or herself above others is the lowest person on Earth.

I love you Sumas, as I love all of my fellow man, and I want the best for you. I will speak to the Rabbi about you before services this weekend. The congregation will pray for peace and inner healing for you.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; November-19-14 at 11:01 PM.

Saccharine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Saccharine.
    Kind of revolting. Huh? Crap now I have been called the lowest person on earth. I merely relate my Detroit experiences. Always deal with community but now I am labeled as some kind of self aggrandizing person or worse some kind of slug.

Efforts move forward to upgrade ITS JEFF memorial.

... I merely relate my Detroit experiences....
    Which I'm pretty sure is the whole point of DetroitYES!

My theory is that the amount of flack one gets is proportional to how prolifically one posts. The theory goes deeper than that but I'm being succinct.

Gannon used to catch flack all the time for apparently no good reason. He doesn't post nearly as much as he used to [[which I regret) and all that vitriol just dried up. I didn't notice any other change that would account for the phenomenon.

I've seen this happen to others elsewhere to an even greater extent. It's what I would expect to happen if equal microphones were given to everyone in a large auditorium.

Just beware of stalkers though. [[Thinking of the scene in The Jerk where Steve Martin says, "He hates these cans!")

The one thing I remember most about ItsJeff was that he was very skilled at defusing these kinds of situations with humor. He had a remarkable talent for doing that.

I miss the Its Jeff days. WTF happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I miss the Its Jeff days. WTF happened?
    No clue as to that. I know you, Gannon., Lowell and others care. We will all get this done one way or another.

Deru kugi wa utareru "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down."

E.g. at 3:00 in 'A Fistful of Dynamite' [[a.k.a. Duck You Sucker) documentary Part 2 an equivalent phrase is awkwardly translated as "Put your head down, balls."

Whatever. I'm pretty sure Sumas has the balls [[intended as a compliment) to keep her head up and I know Gannon does.

Salutes to the both of you.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-02-14 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Deru kugi wa utareru "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down."

E.g. at 3:00 in 'A Fistful of Dynamite' [[a.k.a. Duck You Sucker) documentary Part 2 an equivalent phrase is awkwardly translated as "Put your head down, balls."

Whatever. I'm pretty sure Sumas has the balls [[intended as a compliment) to keep her head up and I know Gannon does.

Salutes to the both of you.
    With that creep who sent mail here, I was told [[via forum) it is common with people who post often, I was kinda told "grow a pair and expect hits", so I did. Joke! So I learned to ignore assholes who post horrible things about my "home town" and me for that matter.

I imagine that spring will bring cooperation with DNR. Things are in the works but move slow.
    Way too Slow!!!!! I must be naive but honest this situation is a bit silly. The memorial exists, it was obviously harmed by contractors, stuckup the butt state workers who apparently don't respect Detroiters,do not wish to cooperate. The list could go on and on.

No one is on the Island anymore and it's a damn shame. Apparently it is now safe for all non detroiters to cruise once in a blue moon .

When the weather breaks, I'd like to finally get this resolved.

Last year was very tough...losing Django, then Sue, and finally Ron...but one of the first things I put into my new tablet calendar in December was this goal for the Spring.

Replace ItsJeff's Bench.

If anyone wants to help, that'd be great.

I've got some archaeological cleaning to do in my office now...gotta go through a few layers of depression detritus to find the note Sue wrote with all of the governmental contacts she had made...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    When the weather breaks, I'd like to finally get this resolved.

Last year was very tough...losing Django, then Sue, and finally Ron...but one of the first things I put into my new tablet calendar in December was this goal for the Spring.

Replace ItsJeff's Bench.

If anyone wants to help, that'd be great.

I've got some archaeological cleaning to do in my office now...gotta go through a few layers of depression detritus to find the note Sue wrote with all of the governmental contacts she had made...
    not sure the extent of the needed repairs, but I would not be opposed to doing some outlaw rehab. Might be easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission now that the new regime has taken over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast