Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ItsJeff Bench

Default ItsJeff Bench

Tried to reply to previous posts about the bench but couldn't figure out how to attach a photo. The bench is looking good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks so much for the update and photo. I wondered about Jeff's bench and boulder as I took Mom for a spin around the island earlier this month, but couldn't see anything from the road [[and didn't have time for a walk with Mom). I figured the tree that almost hit them a couple years back had finally been removed, but am glad to have the confirmation.

I finally got out of my car and walked the path around the Lighthouse this morning...first time I've been comfortable since the occupation...and noticed something wrong with Its'Bench. Something struck the left iron upright and broke the front leg, along with two of the cross-boards.

I took pictures with my ancient flip-phone, but am having trouble linking its Bluetooth with this ancient MacBook.

I thought for a moment that it could've been ice-floes, since I hadn't looked up close since the thaw...but now that I see Margarite's image, I realize it has been since July. So, that leaves the lawn mowers or that night-time incognito Homeland Insecurity pickemup truck with the scissors-lift FLIR scanner.

Either way, it is ironic that the only thing that is in disrepair on the whole island...now that it has been under State control for a year...is the only thing I consider precious.

So...who pays to fix this? I can only assume it will be us...through a collection. I'm happy to help with the labor, it won't take too much to fix if we can get the parts. Might even put a coat of paint on all of the wood, so it matches.

No Cheers on this one...
    Last edited by Gannon; October-08-14 at 01:41 PM.

I did report the damage to the park office but that was several weeks ago. I had high hopes that the park would repair the bench but it's not looking good.

Did you also notice the bicycle frame locked to the lighthouse fence? That's been there for at least two weeks.

yep...surprised the seat is still on it.

So the damage is that recent?! There is similar scraping on the right front leg...I wonder if it is the grass cutters?!

Thanks!

Here is the picture, finally.

Name:  ItsJeff Bench.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  52.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Here is the picture, finally.

Name:  ItsJeff Bench.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  52.6 KB
    Gannon,

Please get in touch with me when you find out what we need to do to to get this repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    Gannon,

Please get in touch with me when you find out what we need to do to to get this repaired.
    Absolutely!

I am a bit of a show me person, I must have lived in a different state in a past life. We went to Belle Isle Sunday, the bench is in terrible state, broken legs and missing rails. Took our own pictures.

Monday am we will call Rashida [[our state rep) Errin, our city appointed neighborhood rep and acquire names for state parks people that can make things happen. A report will also be made to State Police regarding vandalism. Assuming it gets replaced, Django has a few recommendations to protect its future preservation.

Will post update.

Made those calls and crap... a bit surprised I made it to top of that heap. No answers yet but did share all info with Gannon. I believe the problem will be resolved.

Send up a few good wishes for Gannon. He has had a life glitch and is doing well but all good energy welcome.

If thats all the damage that is done to the ItsJeff ItsBench I could see it being repaired. Cast iron doesnt take well with a welder but if heated up properly with a torch before hitting it with a welder it may be possible. Im going by what I see in the pic from Gannon. Of course the wood should all be replaces and Im not sure what kind of fasteners they used. I have not been on BI since "the occupation" which really sucks because Im a regular out there. Im not willing to risk going to jail because I have two unpaid tickets for swimming at he Hippie Beach. I hope next year is less martial law like.
    Sumas is there a phone number that we could all call to demand it be repaired? [[at least try anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Sumas is there a phone number that we could all call to demand it be repaired? [[at least try anyway)
    Ha...not sure inundation is necessary just yet.

There might be pieces missing, it will be easier to just purchase another one, I believe. Lowell, where was this one procured?

I'll be driving by the moment I get free from this hospital room...should be tomorrow. Nice to know that that weird fatiguing bronchitis, exacerbated by a household party filled with cheap scented candles, and an extreme asthma attack leading to 135bpm heartrate and over 200/100 blood pressure cannot take me out.

Don't mess with asthma, folks. Oxygen is important to life.

Cheers from this amazing hospital room...restored my faith in the medical industry.

Much love, folks, let's get ON with this!
    Last edited by Gannon; October-15-14 at 12:27 AM.

And thanks for the public call for support, Sumas, it is greatly appreciated.

See you and Ron as soon as I can.

Ha...not sure inundation is necessary just yet.

There might be pieces missing, it will be easier to just purchase another one, I believe. Lowell, where was this one procured?

I'll be driving by the moment I get free from this hospital room...should be tomorrow. Nice to know that that weird fatiguing bronchitis, exacerbated by a household party filled with cheap scented candles, and an extreme asthma attack leading to 135bpm heartrate and over 200/100 blood pressure cannot take me out.

Don't mess with asthma, folks. Oxygen is important to life.

Cheers from this amazing hospital room...restored my faith in the medical industry.

Much love, folks, let's get ON with this!
    Get well soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Get well soon!
    Thanks, darlin'!

I am evangelizing in here...amazing how many medical professionals haven't even HEARD of the endocannabinoid system! It is no longer a wonder why healing is so rare in our so-called health'care' system.

Another postulate confirmed.

No cheers on this.

I have to agree with Gannon that the bench needs to be replaced. It was much worse yesterday then when I first saw the damage. I think it's happening when the grass is mowed and not from vandals.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarite View Post
    I have to agree with Gannon that the bench needs to be replaced. It was much worse yesterday then when I first saw the damage. I think it's happening when the grass is mowed and not from vandals.
    More answers next week, Gannon has all info also. It needs to be replaced, the question is who pays? I pointed out to the state [[DNR) that their contractor did the damage so collect from them. Forms will need to be filled out however. More later.

I finally had the energy and time to get down to the island, and yes, the bench is much more damaged than it was when I took my picture. I didn't even bother taking one this morning.

It is clear that whatever force is applied to those legs [[up to 4-5" off the ground) is breaking apart the whole bench. If it gets hit again, it'll be splinters.

This is all the proof we need that the grass-cutters are being negligent. Nothing else has that force only that high off the ground, repeating periodically enough to cause further and accelerating damage.

The boulder is, thankfully, in whole and complete shape. It appears untouched.

I propose restoring this site, as well as the one further down the path...for Dean Osgood, one of the Belle Isle runners who passed decades ago. I see only these two memorials, but I know this area is somewhat sacred to many others...met a fellow who scattered his father's ashes off the island near there.

I say we get the State to stake off safe borders around both, I don't think we'd have any trouble keeping 'em maintained with a volunteer crew.

Cheers...finding it somehow...

If the DNR is ok with the bench being replaced it may be a good idea to add a small concrete slab underneath it. It would keep the mowers from trying to get so close, and make maintenance a lot easier. I never met Dean or ItsJeff in person, but I do remember ItsJeff's posts here. I'd be happy to pay for and set the concrete or work on replacing or funding the replacement and repairs if needed.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; October-20-14 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    If the DNR is ok with the bench being replaced it may be a good idea to add a small concrete slab underneath it. It would keep the mowers from trying to get so close, and make maintenance a lot easier. I never met Dean or ItsJeff in person, but I do remember ItsJeff's posts here. I'd be happy to pay for and set the concrete or work on replacing or funding the replacement and repairs if needed.
    Wow...thanks. According to Sue, the DNR gets excited every time she mentions concrete...even having the entire bench made of it...perhaps we need to revisit the scope of this thing. I'd rather it be a bunker...LOL!

Cheers

Wow...thanks. According to Sue, the DNR gets excited every time she mentions concrete...even having the entire bench made of it...perhaps we need to revisit the scope of this thing. I'd rather it be a bunker...LOL!

Cheers

Let me know when you hear back from them.

I was browsing Craigslist and noticed the bench in the link below. Fits the description of "Bunker" and could be secured to the ground rather easily. I could build one out of pressure treated pine and steel bar stock in a couple hours.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/fuo/4698365906.html

I woke up crabby and am still crabby but threads like this where someone gives a damn reminds me that there are still really caring people around. Update from state tomorrow.

I have been legally blind for years new surgeries restored sight in one eye. Shit no one told me how winkled I am. Vanity, thy name is woman.. However I rarely lose a battle and dislike bullshit. Their contractors harmed something special so make them pony up! I am working on that!

Any word on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Any word on this?
    I don't know what's happening at the replacement end, but at the destruction site...the center metal is now broken, proving that it is being repeatedly battered by what I have assumed is the grass cutting crew. It is unusable now.

I didn't have my phone in my pocket when I noticed that...but can get out there tomorrow to document the continual destruction.

This proves that it is being done repeatedly, and possibly on purpose. No way a machine operator doesn't know when they're striking something. Over and over.

No cheers...

I don't know what's happening at the replacement end, but at the destruction site...the center metal is now broken, proving that it is being repeatedly battered by what I have assumed is the grass cutting crew. It is unusable now.

I didn't have my phone in my pocket when I noticed that...but can get out there tomorrow to document the continual destruction.

This proves that it is being done repeatedly, and possibly on purpose. No way a machine operator doesn't know when they're striking something. Over and over.

No cheers...
    Sounds to me like a scrapper, versus any grass cutting machine that I know of. A grass machine would not bang into anything. If not a scrapper, then perhaps someone of the dumbass variety would be responsible.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this bench purchased via donations?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast