Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

[Pro Bo in Lansing closed this season. Pro bowl east when he east side Pro bowl was still open
    Late notice the online auction was held in September.

Owned by Joe Joseph at one time, The place was showing its age.

Jus another bowling alley RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Have to throw out this story. Years ago, I was lingering on the last of my bottle after close with a few stragglers at the Garden Bowl. A group of them were celebrating the appointing of one them as a policeman. He was wasted. Worse still, he was showing off his new licensed piece, and he was begging the female bartender if he could just squeeze off one round down a lane at a line of pins. He was pleading and throwing hundreds of dollars on the table [["Please G-----, Puh-leeze! just one shot-I promise. I'm a good aim. I just want to take out one pin. I'll give you four hundred. No. no. I'll make it five! Just for one shot. Right down the cr*ppiest lane. Puh-leeze, G-----!"). She was standing there leaning on both arms, purse-mouthed, eyes up to the ceiling tiles, going "Hmmmmmmmmmm-no." Glad she didn't turn it into a Gunbowl.
    Unbelievable... JUST the type of cop we need on the streets... :-[[

My first game I bowled at was at Chandler Lanes, they still had pinsetters back then. I then bowled in my first league at Motor City Lanes on Mack and Conner I believe, it was right around the corner from Polo's restaurant, it was there where I purchased my first bowling ball from money from a paper route it was a Colombia 300 in a blue pearl finish. After I got married I joined a mixed league and my wife and I bowled at East Warren lanes, and bowled at Ark lanes on Dequinder for a long time.
    Neither of us bowl now due to health issues, I sure did have some great times and the memories that we both have.

I know this is more of a nostalgia thread, but now we got Renaissance Bowling Center [[which I would not mind checking out), Punch Bowl Social, and I notice no one mentions feather bowling at the Cadieux [[or is that not apropos ?). Personally, I wish bowling would come back to Hamtramck.

G-DDT:

Funny that you mentioned Cadieux Café as I also delivered there [[See my previous thread in "Old Detroit Bars") I went there a while back and was amazed that nothing seemed to have changed since I delivered there in the mid sixties. It looks like they moved the location of the bar because I think it was located at the back of the room. I do remember the bartender telling me back then that the feather bowling alley was composed of sawdust and ox blood. He could have been pulling my bobber though. I used to get a burger for lunch as they had great burgers, never had a hankering for mussels back then. Love them now. Great to know some places stand the test of time.
    Last edited by dguy4evr; February-21-15 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Added text

One that I used to frequent after moving back to Wyandotte is one that's often overlooked, Indian Lanes. It's located right in an industrial park on 13th Street off of Pennsylvania Road. They have about 32 lanes or at least that's what I remembered...

Beacon Bowling Alley on W. Vernor Hwy. Great memories!

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    I know this is more of a nostalgia thread, but now we got Renaissance Bowling Center [[which I would not mind checking out), Punch Bowl Social, and I notice no one mentions feather bowling at the Cadieux [[or is that not apropos ?). Personally, I wish bowling would come back to Hamtramck.
    What took over the Playdium site? I assume the building has been torn down?

Fred McClain still run and operated Belmar Lanes I in Fort St and St John's Street in Lincoln Park. Fred McClain is a legendary bowler in the 1960s, 70s, 80s even up the 90s. He made over 100 perfect games in his career. Every Monday I still see him bowl with his grandson, the next bowling phenon. He carries a 290 average and he's 14 years old.

What took over the Playdium site? I assume the building has been torn down?

Yes the building is gone. Rallee hamburger joint.
    Great place long time home of the Citizen Classic, currently the Hamtramck Classic at Hazel Park.

The automatic pinsetters upstairs shook the beer tables.
    The ball return placement was unusual.

I was secretary of the Jr. House L, Thursday night 9 PM for many years

That's the only way *I* know about Playdium - I bowled in the Citizen Classic many years ago. I never bowled upstairs, though. I'm not sure I even KNEW at the time that there were lanes upstairs. I'm still bowling in the tournament at Hazel Park. :-)

Bad news folks! After over 50 years of service. Cloverlanes in Livonia, MI. will be closing its doors in May 4. Most bowling leagues will have to find new bowling houses for their future leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Bad news folks! After over 50 years of service. Cloverlanes in Livonia, MI. will be closing its doors in May 4. Most bowling leagues will have to find new bowling houses for their future leagues.
    Did the long closure of I-96 for reconstruction last year do it in?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Did the long closure of I-96 for reconstruction last year do it in?

No! the banks decided not to approve the loans for Cloverlanes so the owner decided to close the house down. All bowling leagues will have to find another bowling lanes. The house has attracted lots of black leagues. The biggest black league bowls on wednesday Nnght filling all 64 lanes. [[ I think its a conspiracy to keep African American leagues from bowling in Livonia.)

And down goes Mercury Lanes for the final count...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ing/676605002/

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    And down goes Mercury Lanes for the final count...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ing/676605002/
    Oh, that's awful! Looks nice inside? Anybody got an exterior shot of that?

Name:  UAW Anniv. Ads - 2 - Detroit_Free_Press_Sun__Jun_3__1956_.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  91.1 KBHere are some bowling alley locations from the Free Press, dated June 3, 1956. The UAW was celebrating their 20th anniversary and I guess they decided to buy a whole page and just print ads and listings of businesses. Maybe these will jog some memories.

More historical bowling stuff.

Oh, hey, the bowling assoc. ran a 1/2 page ad to let you know the 1928 bowling season starts August 23!

Detroit's bowling culture was such that tournaments made the front page of the sports section during the season, and local stars were revered as only Detroit can do. Here's the bottom of the add, from the Free Press again, listing member lanes:

Name:  Bowling Alleys - Detroit_Free_Press_Sat__Aug_18__1928_.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  56.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Name:  UAW Anniv. Ads - 2 - Detroit_Free_Press_Sun__Jun_3__1956_.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  91.1 KBHere are some bowling alley locations from the Free Press, dated June 3, 1956. The UAW was celebrating their 20th anniversary and I guess they decided to buy a whole page and just print ads and listings of businesses. Maybe these will jog some memories.
    A picture from Mt. Elliott Recreation Lanes Cub Scouts League awards party in 1959, that's me on the far right. Happy memories of times gone bye.Name:  bowling 1959 11.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  64.0 KB

That's such a great picture, CTG! Little boys in shirts and [[a few) ties! When do you ever see that ever anymore?

Airway Lanes will be closing its doors for Bowling permanently after close of business on Saturday June 30, 2018. Certain non-bowling events will be discontinued later - call for info. The property is being sold to Club Royale Marine – our neighbor. We wish Club Royale all of best for success in this location.

And another one bites the dust!

CassTechGrad; I think the third boy from the left in the photo of Mt. Elliott Recreation may be Arnold, he went to Transfiguration school with me. None of the others come to mind.

Stinger

Default Mt. Elliott Recreation Lanes Cub Scouts League 1959

Yes, you are correct. Arnold Ratkowski was the leader of Cub Scouts Bowling Team #1. The four guys in the middle of the picture I posted are Tom M, Arnold, Tom N, and Kenny from team 1. Name:  bowling 1959 2.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  73.4 KB

Hazel Park bowling center is closing as well at the end of July.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive View Post
    Hazel Park bowling center is closing as well at the end of July.
    Any word on the Hamtramck classic tournament?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast