Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

[QUOTE=slick;218055]
    yes Falcon lanes, I do believe the official name was Gino' Surf, good place on the weekends. Now a Burger King.
    The official name was Gino's Falcon Show Bar. Gino's Surf was a restaurant on Jefferson

Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is Gino's Surf

I knew it was Gino's something , thanks for the graphic ! I was set up on a blind date way back when , the couple that set us up chose there to meet . The band was great ! but the blind date .............. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Anyone have a image of Ritter from the outside. I was there a zillion times....it's been so many years I cannot remember what it looked like
    Here is a current view of Ritter Lanes. It was a great place.Name:  Ritter Lanes.jpg
Views: 4663
Size:  44.4 KB

Default Ritter Lanes

Here is a picture of the former Ritter Lanes.Name:  Ritter Lanes.jpg
Views: 4160
Size:  44.4 KB

Glad to see the saved the building, RITTER REC.
    Reminded me of a bank when it was open as a bowling alley.

Back in the 70-80s we had a Friday morning traveling league. Great bowlers most of the folks were either business people or midnight shift folks. Great bowlers all.

We did 10 bowling alleys, lets see if I can remember them or else someone will have to chime in and help.

Chandler,
    Ritter,
    East Warren,
    Timber,
    Denby,
    Fantasy,
    Salt River, furthest one out, nice drive in the spring.

3 more to go, oh no!

Default Mt. Elliott Recreation Lanes

I found this old blowing score sheet from Mt. Elliott Recreation Lanes when I was in the Cub Scouts League in the late 1950’s. The date on this one is January 31, 1959. I think it was 35¢ per game for the Scouts. Some games over 100, which isn’t bad for 10 & 11 year old kids. Happy times from the golden age.Name:  bowling_0003.jpg
Views: 6325
Size:  33.4 KB

highjinx Guest

I have a sneaking suspicions that this is the Pine Lanes that used to be located on Pinehurst and Warren Ave; 10540 Warren Road Dearborn.
    I bowled at Pine Lanes when I was 12 to 13 years old; I lived on Pinehurst north of Joy Road and my mom would let me go on my own during the summer to bowl there; 20¢ a game during the daytime hours; had the place to myself most times.
    I recall the island that was at the end of Pinehurst just before it came to Warren Road. It changed though, by the time I was driving.
    It is now either a new or remodel building called Dearborn Outlet.
    I recall the glass block windows from when I walked by the side of the building; the entrance was right on that corner of the building.
    The house in the back ground, has the same type of roof line as the one there currently.
    Wish I lived in the area, I'd go by and take a picture from the exact angle to see for sure.
    Argyle on Northlawn south of Plymouth Rd. next to the Bell Telephone Building was the other bowling alley I most frequented.
    Gremmels on West Chicago and Manor had one upstairs from it's lounge/restaurant; a manual pin setting lanes; too young to bowl there when it was in operation.
    Last edited by highjinx; March-03-12 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by highjinx View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicions that this is the Pine Lanes that used to be located on Pinehurst and Warren Ave; 10540 Warren Road Dearborn.
    I bowled at Pine Lanes when I was 12 to 13 years old; I lived on Pinehurst north of Joy Road and my mom would let me go on my own during the summer to bowl there; 20¢ a game during the daytime hours; had the place to myself most times.
    I recall the island that was at the end of Pinehurst just before it came to Warren Road. It changed though, by the time I was driving.
    It is now either a new or remodel building called Dearborn Outlet.
    I recall the glass block windows from when I walked by the side of the building; the entrance was right on that corner of the building.
    The house in the back ground, has the same type of roof line as the one there currently.
    Wish I lived in the area, I'd go by and take a picture from the exact angle to see for sure.
    Argyle on Northlawn south of Plymouth Rd. next to the Bell Telephone Building was the other bowling alley I most frequented.
    Gremmels on West Chicago and Manor had one upstairs from it's lounge/restaurant; a manual pin setting lanes; too young to bowl there when it was in operation.

I used to bowl at Pine Tree Lanes on W. Warren Rd and Pinehurst St. back in 1997 just a year before it closed. Dearborn Mercury Lanes on Schaefer Rd is the last neighborhood bowling alley in that city. Still family owned since 1948.

Oxford Lanes was closed in December 31st 2011.

Schaefer Lanes was closed in 1999 now its a Arab-owned strip mall.

Holiday Bowl on Schaefer Rd. was closed in 1997. Now its Islamic Mosque called The Islamic Institute of Knowledge and an Islamic School called Riverside Academy.

Argyle Lanes is lone gone, became a local bank before it closed and now a church.

Last edited by Danny; March-05-12 at 11:23 AM.

Wonderland Lanes in Livonia is officially closed since 2009.

I am looking for the address' of two Louis Redstone designed Bowling Alleys-Old Mill Lanes and Blue Sky Lanes. Also the are lanes at the Detroit Athletic Club, Country Club of Detroit, Grosse Pointe Yacht Club and the Detroit Club.

I do not see anything for a Blue Sky or Old Mill in my 1958 Yellow pages.

I DO have a Red Mill Bar and Rec:
    7331 Woodward at Grand Blvd
    TR 1-5110

DAC has 8 lanes
    CCD has 6 lanes as well as GPYC
    I was not aware tha Detroit Golf club had bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Signal View Post
    I do not see anything for a Blue Sky or Old Mill in my 1958 Yellow pages.

I DO have a Red Mill Bar and Rec:
    7331 Woodward at Grand Blvd
    TR 1-5110

DAC has 8 lanes
    CCD has 6 lanes as well as GPYC
    I was not aware tha Detroit Golf club had bowling.
    Not the DGC but the Detroit Club at 712 Cass Ave. has 2 lanes that have not been in use for years.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I am looking for the address' of two Louis Redstone designed Bowling Alleys-Old Mill Lanes and Blue Sky Lanes.
    What years are we talking about?

In the 1940s there was a Blue Sky Inn at 8715 Gratiot and an Old Mill Gardens at 637 E McNichols, but I don't know if these were bowling alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    What years are we talking about?

In the 1940s there was a Blue Sky Inn at 8715 Gratiot and an Old Mill Gardens at 637 E McNichols, but I don't know if these were bowling alleys.
    I have a build date of 1961 for Blue Sky Lanes and 1962 for Old Mill Lanes.

CCD and GPYC lanes both sit on top of closed indoor swimming pools.

Breaking News!!!

Westland Bowl has got a new owner. The bowling house was closed in 2012 due to financial problems. The new owner will reopen the bowling alley by Sept. 2013.

1960's advertising memorabilia.....

Attachment 18240

Mike Totsky used to be one of the greatest legendary bowler in the Detroit Stroh's league since the late 1950s to 1970s. He later worked as a manager at Taylor Lanes in Taylor, MI. until he passed away.

Does anyone know where this Bowling Alley was located?

From Manta:
    MJG Enterprises
    Olympic Lanes20222 John R Street

Detroit, MI48203-1138

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    From Manta:
    MJG Enterprises
    Thx jcole for the quick response! Now for other half of the story. Only in Detroit would a world renowned architect receive a commission to design a Bowling Alley. The one bowling alley that I have found designed by C. Howard Crane.

I just read on facebook that Continental Lanes [[Gratiot/13 Mile in Roseville) has recently closed and will become a poker site. Anyone else hear this? Seems to me that bowling is a dying sport.

Bowling died in Hamtramck when the 2-story "Pladium Lanes" bit the dust for a "Rally's".

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast