Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    And the owner of Satellite Bowl went home with a boat load of money...
    Actually the owner of Satellite now owns Community Bowling Centers which operates 16 centers in the metro Detroit area.

Does anyone remember Crown Lanes, Log Cabin, W-Y 7, The old Wonderland Lanes in Redford, Melvindale Bowl, Yorba Linda?

My dentist is next to Wonderland Lanes in Livonia. Never bowled there, just went in there looking for my Uncle at the bar. While driving down Warren Ave Sat nite I looked over saw GI-GI'S thought of the Bowling Alley thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kc1detroit View Post
    This is Monte Carlo lanes it was located on the west side of Detroit on Plymouth rd.
    The building is still there. It's now a day care center.

Default Back to the older Detroit centers

I had bowled at Mt Elliott, Falcon, Klees, Fantasy, Ramona, Van Dyke Bowl, State Fair, Pladium to name a few when I was growing up as a kid. Does anybody remember these?

Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    Here is a pic I found in Wayne State's collection. Not sure which alley this is?
    Here is the today pic. This is right accross from the Bellair shopping center on 8 mile...

For compairison purposes

Mt Elliott, Falcon, Klees, Fantasy, Ramona, Van Dyke Bowl, State Fair, Pladium
    superbowler297,
    does that refer to your high game? 297 how soon before 300?
    I bowled Ramona Monday nights till the roof collapsed,
    Fanasy Sunday morning late 1960's
    Falcon on and off as a sub,
    Mt Elliot, Sunday morning early 70's
    bowled open bowling all of the others one time or another.
    too bad they are long gone.
    CLAUDEG, yes there was a bowling alley on 8 mile east of van dyke, another on 8 mile and Sherwood, darn if I can remember their names.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    superbowler297,
    does that refer to your high game? 297 how soon before 300?
    I bowled Ramona Monday nights till the roof collapsed,
    Fanasy Sunday morning late 1960's
    Falcon on and off as a sub,
    Mt Elliot, Sunday morning early 70's
    bowled open bowling all of the others one time or another.
    too bad they are long gone.
    CLAUDEG, yes there was a bowling alley on 8 mile east of van dyke, another on 8 mile and Sherwood, darn if I can remember their names.
    This could have been Mound Recreation. Slick, I bowled at Fantasy on Sunday morns too in the late sixties and early seventies

What years did Fantasy and Denby burn? Can't remember.

Not sure about Denby, but I think Fantasy burned around 1990. I remember going by there shortly thereafter and walking on top of the rubble

Anyone ever bowl at Oakwood Blue Jackets, SW Detroit? I bowled there on the youth league back in the 50s. Adult leagues from 1976 till closing in 98. OBJ house of 700s in the 50s-60s.

The Rouge Lounge, 1937 Coolidge Highway, River Rouge, was a bowling alley which became known as Detroit's main showcase for nationally known jazz acts [[1953-58). I've found ads, but not a single exterior photo...

I bowled at Oakwood once back in the early 80,s my Mom took me and a buddy there, remember the ball rolling back above the lanes like the Silver Bar and Bowl in GardenCity.

littlebuddy Guest

My Dad bowled at Oakwood for as long as I can remember. I think Allen Park where I grew up had 3 bowling alleys that I can think of, Roosevelt,Thunderbird and another just down the street from the Roosevelt that burned down a few years back. My Dad also bowled at a place in SW Detroit that had an upstairs bowling alley that had manuel pin setters, the downstairs had machines I think, just don't remember the name of the place. What bowling alleys did Dearborrn have?

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    My Dad bowled at Oakwood for as long as I can remember. I think Allen Park where I grew up had 3 bowling alleys that I can think of, Roosevelt,Thunderbird and another just down the street from the Roosevelt that burned down a few years back. My Dad also bowled at a place in SW Detroit that had an upstairs bowling alley that had manuel pin setters, the downstairs had machines I think, just don't remember the name of the place. What bowling alleys did Dearborrn have?
    Dearborn used to have at least 5 bowling alleys in those days, probably more.

1. Schaefer Lanes

2. Mercury Lanes

3. Pine Tree Bowl

4. Holiday Bowl

5. Oxford Lanes

Today Oxford Lanes and Mercury Bowl are the only two left in Dearborn.

BAD NEWS

Clemente's Restaurant, Bar and Bowling Alley is currenty close due to remodeling issues.

GREAT NEWS

Madison Bowl is off of its financial problems and rehabed its bowling alley. It will be opening soon. Imagine Theatres will have a 10 seat movie theatre and 10 lane bowling alley on the corner of 11 Mile Rd and Main Street. Sadly to say that the Main Art Theatre may close and be demolish soon due to new complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

1. Schaefer Lanes

2. Mercury Lanes

3. Pine Tree Bowl

4. Holiday Bowl

5. Oxford Lanes

BAD NEWS

Clemente's Restaurant, Bar and Bowling Alley is currenty close due to remodeling issues.

GREAT NEWS

Madison Bowl is off of its financial problems and rehabed its bowling alley. It will be opening soon. Imagine Theatres will have a 10 seat movie theatre and 10 lane bowling alley on the corner of 11 Mile Rd and Main Street. Sadly to say that the Main Art Theatre may close and be demolish soon due to new complex.
    There was a Dearborn Bowl and The Maples also

Any bowling alleys left in Detroit [[City of)? I didn't read all the posts here. I took my wife bowling for her first time last year while we were living in Algonac while caretaking my late parents' property. We bowled at an alley on M-29 in Clay Township near the Harsens Island ferry landing. In St. Clair there is a bowling alley that also has a decent restaurant. I've never been big on bowling, but it's a good excuse to socialize and get some light exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Any bowling alleys left in Detroit [[City of)? I didn't read all the posts here. I took my wife bowling for her first time last year while we were living in Algonac while caretaking my late parents' property. We bowled at an alley on M-29 in Clay Township near the Harsens Island ferry landing. In St. Clair there is a bowling alley that also has a decent restaurant. I've never been big on bowling, but it's a good excuse to socialize and get some light exercise.
    There are 2 bowling alleys left in Detroit Rennaisance Bowling Center and Garden Bowl [[ The historically oldest bowling center in Detroit since 1913) Both of them are located on Woodward Ave.

There are 2 bowling alleys left in Detroit Rennaisance Bowling Center and Garden Bowl [[ The historically oldest bowling center in Detroit since 1913) Both of them are located on Woodward Ave.

Does the Zanea family still own Garden Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Does the Zanea family still own Garden Bowl?
    Yes, they still own the Garden Bowl.

Universal Lanes in 12 Mile and Dequindre is no longer owned by Community Bowling Centers anymore. It's now owned by Mr. Murdock. who owns a series of convenient stores.
    Last edited by Danny; July-14-10 at 11:35 AM.

Yes, they still own the Garden Bowl.
    I bowled on a team there on Friday nights back in the mid Seventies with George Zanea, "Fast Eddie" Birmingham, Bill Allen, and a guy who I think was a teacher at Cass last name Levin or Levine, his first name may have been Jay

Reggie "The Kid" Dennard was just coming up through the ranks at the time
    Last edited by zitro; July-14-10 at 11:22 AM.

1. Schaefer Lanes

2. Mercury Lanes

3. Pine Tree Bowl

4. Holiday Bowl

5. Oxford Lanes

BAD NEWS

GREAT NEWS

Clemente's closed for good on June 13. Both buildings are to be torn down and a Advanced Auto parts store will be built on the site. The parking lot behind has been removed already. The roll-off and excavator are sitting between the buildings now

This thread pains me.....hated to read some of what I did, and there is a bunch of other stuff lost to my memory now....no one is alive anymore to call and ask.

My uncle Russ was determined to become a pro bowler, and bowled like a wild man all over Detroit starting in the late 1920's. He got my dad pretty hooked on bowling by the mid to late 30's, and both bowled with the Mich Con travel teams of the day, amongst others teams. Dad pitched fastpitch softball 4 nights in the summer, and bowled 4 nights in the winter. He had a strong "paddle" arm, much to my dismay and the dismay of my ass.
    WW2 slowed down his bowling...but kept on pitching after he got back from the Pacific.

I'm sitting here trying my best to remember the earliest alleys I was dragged along to which would've been east side, early 1950's. At least one place still had pin boys, and one had a long disk shuffleboard table game, complete with sawdust on the left hand side of the alley as you faced the pins.

Something about Hayes not far from Houston-Whittier is sticking in my head....not far from where Harmony Hall used to be?? Maybe I'm thinking of Ritter?

Between my dad and uncle I don't think there was an eastside house I didn't get taken to at least once.

There was one real little place.....maybe 8 lanes in a basement somewhere east side down Warren past Conners?

Used to skip HS and bowl 4 games for a buck before noon. Royal Lanes I think it was.....off Warren Ave. on a side street, not far from Alter. Manistique? Phillip? My ma used to bowl in a Ladies League there too.

I hooked up with Paul Cito when I was about 19 or 20, he must have been at least 60 then...if not older...the lanes on s. side of Warren Ave. around Outer Dr. Cantankerous old coot he was....but a good guy. He taught me a lot....probably more than anyone.

First alley I bowled on was....ahhh crape. DiMichelles? Harper Ave. & Manchester in Harper Wds. It burnt around 1960, they rebuilt it as a hall, last I knew it was HW Community House.

Bowled a Thurs league at Maple Lanes for many years in the 70's...we had some good times at that place. Mich Con league. Had tournaments once a year at Clover Lanes in Livonia.

In later years I did leagues at Sunnybrook and Gold Crown.
    Maple Lanes was the last Detroit house I did a league at. Now its a fooken landscape storage shed??

THANK you someone for mentioning Falcon. I was thinking about the Parliaments, and was trying to remember the name of the bowling alley bar on VD they played at.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast