Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Anybody remember BowlARama on 7 mile & Lahser? Right near the Redford, I mean, Rogell golf course. How about North Lanes on 8 and Greenfield?

I remember a few of these places. Nobody's mentioned Redford Lanes at Grand River & Lahser.

There use to be Liberty Bowl at Frazho and Gratiot where Super Kmart is now. When that closed I use to go to Rose Bowl at Martin and Grosebeck all the time!!

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Danny, I think you bowl alot.
    You think?

Quote Originally Posted by BowlDetroit View Post
    Anybody remember BowlARama on 7 mile & Lahser? Right near the Redford, I mean, Rogell golf course. How about North Lanes on 8 and Greenfield?
    Yes, both are remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I remember a few of these places. Nobody's mentioned Redford Lanes at Grand River & Lahser.
    Redford Lanes rings a bell. Wasn't it on Lahser? Or near Chathams?
    Last edited by vetalalumni; August-25-09 at 02:37 PM. Reason: edits

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    I used to spend my time in the ones on the Eastside - Chandler, Fantasy, East Warren, Maple, Shorecrest, and Denby. Aren't they all either gone or out of business now?
    Denby - on Whittier near Riad - was the only one I ever bowled at.

used to spend my time in the ones on the Eastside - Chandler, Fantasy, East Warren, Maple, Shorecrest, and Denby. Aren't they all either gone or out of business now?
    Bowled in an eastside traveling league Friday Mornings, hit most of the above mentioned lanes.

Chandler now a warehouse. building on Harper can see it from I94
    Fantasy, long gone,, fire I think.
    East Warren, Rite Aid?
    Maple, not sure
    Shorecrest, bancrupt
    Denby, closed.
    Ritters, old two story

East Warren's site is the Dallas Market and Maple Lanes is a storage garage for a landscaping company.

Oh, and I used to go to Harper Lanes [[later home of Club UBQ!) just west of Van Dyke with my best friend's mother's family who lived up that way. The place was still there a few years ago.

Redford LANES was at Grand River and Beech Daly. Redford Recreation [[later Redford Bowl) was at Grand River and Lahser next to Chatham's grocery store. Frank Butler, his son Paul and Jim Moirrisey bought Redford Rec in 1973 and renamed it Redford Bowl. I worked there when I was 16 [[1973) until the early 80's. I just went by there last Friday....total mess...but then again that whole neighborhood seems to be. My old neighborhood around Murphy Jr. High [[Fenkell & Telegraph) looks like Bagdad. More burned and abandoned houses that livable ones.

Anybody remember Varsity Lanes on Livernois? Never bowled there, but spent a few hours there partaking of liquid lunches while working at Packer Pontiac in the early 70's

Quote Originally Posted by KENSINGTONY View Post
    East Warren's site is the Dallas Market and Maple Lanes is a storage garage for a landscaping company.
    Maple Lanes was a pleasant alley on East Warren near Balduck Park. It featured two-tone, cream and brown natural brick on the outside with aluminum lettering and trim for a great '50s vibe.

The building was gutted for use as a storage facility, as noted. It was also completely globbed over with white and green paint. It now looks completely, appropriately, ghetto.

I've been trying to find out something for a friend of mine that used to set pins long ago. He said he worked at a small alley at Mack and St. Jean. But he dosen't remember the name. Probably around the early 50s or so?? He said you had to walk down an alley/driveway to get to the building itself. It didn't have any frontage on Mack. Maybe 12 lanes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Oh, and I used to go to Harper Lanes [[later home of Club UBQ!) just west of Van Dyke with my best friend's mother's family who lived up that way. The place was still there a few years ago.
    Wow, UBQ is a real throwback. Partied there juuuusssssttttt a little bit back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by BowlDetroit View Post
    Redford LANES was at Grand River and Beech Daly. Redford Recreation [[later Redford Bowl) was at Grand River and Lahser next to Chatham's grocery store. Frank Butler, his son Paul and Jim Moirrisey bought Redford Rec in 1973 and renamed it Redford Bowl. I worked there when I was 16 [[1973) until the early 80's.
    Thanks for the info.

I remember BowlARama lanes from the outside. If I only had a nickel for each time I went by there.My Uncle who bowled alot till about 10 years ago lived in that area. He said he didn't like the lanes and didn't bowl there alot.Had to do a double take when it became a Post Office.Same deal when Redford Lanes became an Aldi.

Shovelhead, your humble Professor spent some time at Varsity Lanes back in the day. The University of Detroit [[as it was then known) had an informal bowling league which students, faculty, maintenance staff and others were welcome to join.

Sadly, like almost everything else in our neighborhood, that bowling alley closed down. The University, as it turns out, does not have enough students or staff to provide customers in quantities necessary to support neighborhood businesses. Most of our students [[and faculty, and so on) drive in from the suburbs in the a.m. and drive right the hell back to the suburbs in the p.m. and don't spend any money while they're here.

So Varsity Lanes is gone, and the health club, and the alternative bookstore, and most of the other businesses which the University community might have supported but didn't. The University's informal bowling league went to State Fair Lanes on Woodward for a while, then to Hartfield on 12 Mile in Berkley, then finally collapsed.

I wish we supported the neighborhood businesses, but we don't, and I'm not sure if we can or how to get there. The students and faculty are so afraid of crime that I don't think anyone can convince them to spend time shopping in their own neighborhood.

Does anyone remember the name of a bowling alley on the west side of Van Dyke about half a mile north of Hall Rd.? At some point it was taken over by Weingartz, the outdoor power equipment retailer next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Does anyone remember the name of a bowling alley on the west side of Van Dyke about half a mile north of Hall Rd.? At some point it was taken over by Weingartz, the outdoor power equipment retailer next door.

Was it Pioneer?

On second thought I think that was on Utica just south of Hall Road, the only place north on Van Dyle was Van Dyke Bowl but I thought it was a little further nother than 1/2 mile and there was Bill Spargo's place up the road on Van Dyke a few more miles, tha name escapes me now.
    Last edited by zitro; August-26-09 at 03:34 PM.

There was also Ramona Lanes down 6 mile ---our High School Bowling League was there.

I'm trying to remember the name of a bar on the east side that had a couple of lanes off the the side. There was an older guy who would give lessons during the day. I remember my dad took me there when I was starting to bowl. The bar was either on Mack or Warren, not far from Outer Drive. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    I'm trying to remember the name of a bar on the east side that had a couple of lanes off the the side. There was an older guy who would give lessons during the day. I remember my dad took me there when I was starting to bowl. The bar was either on Mack or Warren, not far from Outer Drive. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

I believe that was Nottingham Bar Tsom.

This was supposed to be a reply to BowlDetroit's 'How about North Lanes on 8 and Greenfield?...' Once again I forgot to use the Quote button...

I bowled at NorthLanes a handful of times. Me and a buddy of mine would sometimes walk up to Northland [[from Grand River and Greenfield area!) when we were maybe 11-12 years old, and on our way back would sometimes stop in at Northlanes. That was on the east side of Greenfield, just south of 8 mile, right? I think that was Northlanes.
    Last edited by SMRJim; August-26-09 at 04:49 PM.

This was supposed to be a reply to BowlDetroits's 'Redford LANES was at Grand River and Beech Daly. Redford Recreation [[later Redford Bowl) ...' but I forgot to use the Quote button...

I bowled in a Rosedale Park league at Redford Lanes [[the one by Beech) back in 87. First time I bowled in a league. Got addicted, one of my teammates talked me into learning how to throw with a fingertip ball at the end of the year [[I used alley balls and threw a backup ball up to that point). My average went from 160 to the 180s once I got the hang of it. Unfortunately elbow problems put an end to my bowling career years ago, but I sure did enjoy bowling in leagues.
    Last edited by SMRJim; August-26-09 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Was it Pioneer?

On second thought I think that was on Utica just south of Hall Road, the only place north on Van Dyle was Van Dyke Bowl but I thought it was a little further nother than 1/2 mile....
    The name Pioneer doesn't ring a bell with me. I'm certain there was a bowling alley 1/2 mile north of Hall Rd back in the late 60s/early 70s. I just can't remember the name of it. Next time I hit the library I'll look it up in an old phone book. They probably sponsored some high school yearbooks too.

According to their web site, Van Dyke Bowl is located about 1/2 mile south of Hall Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I believe that was Nottingham Bar Tsom.
    Z comes through again! Yes, that's the place. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The name Pioneer doesn't ring a bell with me. I'm certain there was a bowling alley 1/2 mile north of Hall Rd back in the late 60s/early 70s. I just can't remember the name of it. Next time I hit the library I'll look it up in an old phone book. They probably sponsored some high school yearbooks too.

According to their web site, Van Dyke Bowl is located about 1/2 mile south of Hall Rd.
    Was it All-Star Lanes?

Glad I could help Tsom
    Last edited by zitro; August-26-09 at 07:31 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast