Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Detroit Bowling Alleys

A while back I started a thread about Detroit bowling alleys [[in the old forum). Does anyone know of any photos of the Crest or Ramona bowling alleys...or any for that matter. But I would love to see a photo of Crest. Thanks

Looking at the entertainment ads in the '40s and '50s papers on microfilm, I was stunned at the number of bowling alleys in Detroit and suburbs...

Here is a pic I found in Wayne State's collection. Not sure which alley this is?

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    Looking at the entertainment ads in the '40s and '50s papers on microfilm, I was stunned at the number of bowling alleys in Detroit and suburbs...
    I bet many of the bowling alleys in the 1940s were of the 10 lane or less bar type places. Before the advent of pinsetters, bowling alleys tended to be smaller. I have never looked at numbers, but if I had to guess, I would say Detroit peaked in terms of total lanes in the late 1950s or early 1960s, after the automatic pinsetter boom.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    Here is a pic I found in Wayne State's collection. Not sure which alley this is?
    I thought it was a bowling alley along 8 Mile, but it might be the Mound Recreation and Bar. That was on the corner of 8 and Mound, where Auto Zone is now. That looks really familiar for some reason.

Here's the link to the HOF archive from the old forum, if you want to rummage through there.
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/76017/76838.html
    Last edited by Stosh; July-27-09 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Add link and location

Here is a sensational and dying one from yesterday -- the googiesque Cloverlanes on I 96 in Livonia. The eves are collapsing at several points.

Attachment 2519

Attachment 2521

Attachment 2520

Attachment 2522

Default Hall of Fame Link

And here is the link to the Detroit Bowling Alleys in the Hall of Fame threads.

I can remember Cloverlanes from when I was a kid, Always thought that it was a neat building.

I grew up bowling here, although not this far back lol I started bowling there about 1965 at age 8

http://www.wayne-bowl.com/ambassadorlanes.jpg

As with the case lately time for me to sleep, Yet while at the Home Depot at Michigan and Gulley on Sunday, I thought of the Sattilite Bowl and this thread.

Cloverlanes is still up and running for over 40 years. Controlled by Great Lakes Bowling Center who also ownes Fairlanes Bowl in Madison Heights, Royal Lanes in Warren [[ Possibly) and Taylor Lanes in Taylor, MI. Still have the old but refurbished wooden lanes and most of the time with heavy to medium oil pattern.

It recieved 80% of the African American bowling leagues. When I used to bowl over there in 2004, I joined a church bowling league called Meriman Road Baptist Church Bowling League. It was the only black young adult in the league. The rest of the leagues were mostly African American and little bit rowdy. After the recent shooting incident in October 2005 that cause Livonia Police to shut down the lanes for the night, the league decided to move on. I voted for it and move on to another bowling league near my home.

Satellite Bowl in Dearborn Heights is where I won my first tornament championship in 1994. It was big and beautiful until Home Depot with their greedy selves bought the area, torn down the bowling lanes and built their big box store destined to shut down 10 years.

Looks like maybe the bowling alley at Outerdrive and Vandyke ?

It was big and beautiful until Home Depot with their greedy selves bought the area, torn down the bowling lanes and built their big box store destined to shut down 10 years.
    And the owner of Satellite Bowl went home with a boat load of money...

Outer Drive and Van Dyke was the Falcon bowling alley and nightclub, was it not?

Bowling alleys that I go to:

Five Star Lanes on 16 Mile Rd. near Dequindre, execellent Brunswick synthetic lanes. Uses house oil; medium on 10 to 10 boards light 8 and out. Special Scorpion and Shark oil patterns for special pro bowler leagues; light to dry oil pattern for youth leagues.

Bowl One Lanes on 14 Mile Rd. near Dequindre, brand New AMF Qubica synthetic lanes. Uses house oil for fun leagues. 10 to 10 boards, light 8 and out. Special Scorpion and Shark oil patterns for special pro bowler leagues; light to dry oil pattern for youth leagues.

Universal Lanes on 12 Mile Rd and Dequindre. execellent Bruinswick synthetic lanes. Uses house oil for fun leagues. 10 to 10 boards, light 8 and out. Special Scorpion and Shark oil patterns for special pro bowler leagues. Light to dry oil pattern for youth leagues.

Fairlanes Bowl on Stevenson HWY. near 12 Mile Rd. and I-75, Uses Old AMF wooden lanes. Heavy oil from 12 to 12 boards medium 10 to 10 and light 10 and out.

Astro Bowl on John R Rd. near 14 Mile Rd, excellent AMF wooden lanes Uses house oil for fun leagues. 10 to 10 boards, light 8 and out.

Plum Hollow Lanes on 9 Mile Rd. are Lahser execellent Bruinswick synthetic lanes. Uses house oil for fun leagues. 10 to 10 boards, light 8 and out. Special Scorpion and Shark oil patterns for special pro bowler leagues; light to dry oil pattern for youth leagues.

Oxford Lanes on Telegraph Rd. south of Michigan Ave. execellent Bruinswick synthetic lanes. Uses house oil for fun leagues. 10 to 10 boards, light 8 and out. Special Scorpion and Shark oil patterns for special pro bowler leagues; medium to light oil pattern for Oxford Doubles; light to dry oil pattern for youth leagues.

Taylor Lanes on Eureka Road west of Telegraph Ave. execellent Bruinswick synthetic lanes. Uses house oil for fun leagues. 10 to 10 boards, light 8 and out. Special Scorpion and Shark oil patterns for special pro bowler leagues. May have to adjuct your your approach because the old floor has AMF approach dots. That is the bowling alley that will be hosting the PBA tours coming soon.

Thunderbowl Lanes on Allen Rd. near Outer Drive; brand new Bruinswick synthetic lanes. Uses house oil for fun leagues. 10 to 10 boards, light 8 and out. Special Scorpion and Shark oil patterns for special pro bowler leagues; light to dry for special leagus and youth leagues.

Bananza Lanes on Hoover Rd. near 10 Mile Rd. execellent Bruinswick synthetic lanes. Uses house oil for fun leagues. 10 to 10 boards, light 8 and out. Special Scorpion and Shark oil patterns for special pro bowler leagues. Light to dry oil pattern for youth leagues.

Pampas Lanes on Van Dyke Rd near 14 Mile Rd. execellent Bruinswick synthetic lanes. Uses heavy house oil for fun leagues. 12 to 12 boards, medium 10 and 10 boards: light 8 and out. Special Scorpion and Shark oil patterns for special pro bowler leagues; medium to light oil pattern for youuth leagues.

Van Dyke Bowl on Van Dyke Rd. near 20 Mile Rd. uses old AMF Brunswick wooden lanes. heavy house oil pattern; 10 to 10 boards, light 8 and out

Renaissance Lanes on Woodward Ave. near State Fair St. brand new execellent Bruinswick synthetic lanes. Uses house oil for fun leagues. 10 to 10 boards, light 8 and out. Special Scorpion and Shark oil patterns for special pro bowler leagues. Light to dry oil pattern for youth leagues. House oil is limited to league bowlers so you might to deal with light to dry oil pattern.

Bowling Lanes that are the worst!

Garden Bowl on Woodward Ave. near E. Alexandrine St. have very old AMF wooden lanes. Haven't been refurbished in years. There are some chipping in some wooden boards. The Bowling rates are a rip off so that it could lure WSU students over that area. Don't fall for it!

Fort Park Bowl in Fort Park St. near Southfield St. old but refurbished AMF Qubica lanes. Doesn't open in summer recieving less patronage.

Bowling Alleys that are closed down recently:

Royal Oak Lanes in Washington Ave. near Woodward Ave. Now a condo complex.

Shore Crest Lanes on 9 Mile and Mack. Have old AMF wood lanes; usually oil pattern and conserving it for leagues. It closed down due to financial problems.

Madison Park Bowl on John R Rd. between I-696 FWY and 10 Mile Rd. have very old AMF wooden lanes haven't refubished in years. Closed due to financial problems.

Bowling Alleys recieving a lot of African American League patronage in the Metro-Detroit area:
    [[This is due to a lack of bowling centers in Detroit ghettohoods.)

Renaisance Lanes, Royal Lanes, Bronco Lanes, Cloverlanes, Mayflower Lanes, Thunderbowl Lanes, Wayne Bowl, Cherry Hill Lanes, Plum Hollow Lanes, Hartfield Lanes, Hazel Park Bowl, Wayne Bowl, Mercury Bowl and sometimes Luxury Lanes and Rec Bowl.

Bowling Alleys recieving a lot of Caucasian League Patronage in the Metro-Detroit area:

Five Star Lanes, Bowl One Lanes, Astro Lanes, Bowlero lanes, Thunderbird Lanes, Classic Lanes, Woodhaven Lanes, Biddle Bowl, Indian Lanes, Wonderland Lanes, Town n' County Lanes, Super Bowl Lanes, Oak Lanes, Garden Lanes, Westland Lanes, Beech Lanes, Van Dyke Bowl, AMF Rose Bowl, Mulberry Lanes, Apollo Lanes, Pampas Lanes, Shore Lanes, Troy Lanes, Woodland Lanes, County Lanes, Fairlanes Bowl, Langan's Norwest Lanes & Pizza, Stacy's Bowling Center, Fiero Lanes, Avon Hill North Lanes, SunnyBrook Lanes, Primier Lanes, Sterling Lanes, Fraser Star Lanes, Continental Lanes, Score Lanes, Lakeshore Lanes, Harbor Lanes, Belmar II Bowling Center, Parkway Lanes, Trenton Bowling Center, Fiesta Lanes, Ford Lanes, Vision Lanes, Merribowl, Novi Bowl, Drakeshire Lanes, Hideway Lanes, Garden Bowl, Oxford Lanes.

Bowling Alleys recieving Hasidic Jewish patronage:

Hartfield Lanes, Bowl One Lanes, [[Sometimes Luxury Lanes, Plum Hollow Lanes, County Lanes, Drakeshire Lanes, Hideway Lanes, Novi Bowl, Langan's Norwest Lanes & Pizza, Bowlero lanes)

Bowling Alleys recieving Hispanic league patronage:

Taylor Lanes

Bowling Alleys recieving Arab American patronage:

Five Star Lanes, Bowl One Lanes, Thunderbird Lanes, Thunderbowl Lanes, Town n' County Lanes, Super Bowl Lanes, Oak Lanes, Garden Lanes, Westland Lanes, Beech Lanes, Van Dyke Bowl, AMF Rose Bowl, Mulberry Lanes, Apollo Lanes, Pampas Lanes, Shore Lanes, Troy Lanes, Woodland Lanes, County Lanes, Fairlanes Bowl, Langan's Norwest Lanes & Pizza, Stacy's Bowling Center, Fiero Lanes, Avon Hill North Lanes, SunnyBrook Lanes, Primier Lanes, Sterling Lanes, Fraser Star Lanes, Continental Lanes, Score Lanes, Lakeshore Lanes, Harbor Lanes, Belmar II Bowling Center, Ford Lanes, Vision Lanes, Merribowl, Novi Bowl, Garden Bowl. Mercury Bowl.
    Last edited by Danny; July-29-09 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I can remember Cloverlanes from when I was a kid, Always thought that it was a neat building.
    I remember them from when I was a kid too. My mom & neighbor were in a morning ladies league. They had a play area for the kids while the moms bowled.

Danny, I think you bowl alot. But one thing. Even though the Sattelite Bowl is gone, I hope the Home Depot don't close. It has become my third home.
    I found I like Ford Lanes, I like their bar.

One guy who used to be in my bowling league didn't like Ford Lanes because one of a while the mechanic only oil the lanes for league purposes.

I used to spend my time in the ones on the Eastside - Chandler, Fantasy, East Warren, Maple, Shorecrest, and Denby. Aren't they all either gone or out of business now?

I learned to bowl [[well, as much as I ever learned to bowl) in a Detroit Public School program at the vast Great Lakes Bowling Center that once stood at the corner of Woodward and Baltimore. I also used to go with my cousins to Jefferson Recreation [[where they had human pinsetters much longer than anyplace else I remember) that was over near the Cinderella Theater, and with my Dad to the still-extant Garden Bowl as well as another corridor/midtown area lanes whose name and location I no longer recall.

still love the Ypsi-Arbor sign!

Gotta love that sign too. One day I will bowl Ypsi-Arbor.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast