Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Why did some bowling alleys have an odd number of lanes? I've seen a bunch listed here as having 17 lanes.
    It is my understanding they an added insurance in case of a breakdown. Back in the day most leagues especially 16-24 lane houses were filled and if there was a major breakdown on one of the machines there wasn't room to move a pair like there is today.

zitro,

they could not use the 17th lane as a spare, ABC rules, now USBC, says you must bowl on adjacent lanes. An official match has too be on a pair of lanes.

My theory is on a big night bowling match, you could have a sub bowler warming up.

or if you were bowling your enemy on lane 15-16 you would let your 5 year old bowl on 17 and disrupt the other team's concentration.