Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    From Manta:
    MJG Enterprises
    Thx jcole for the quick response! Now for other half of the story. Only in Detroit would a world renowned architect receive a commission to design a Bowling Alley. The one bowling alley that I have found designed by C. Howard Crane.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Thx jcole for the quick response! Now for other half of the story. Only in Detroit would a world renowned architect receive a commission to design a Bowling Alley. The one bowling alley that I have found designed by C. Howard Crane.
    Stumbled across this today. It was not on John R. It was located at the intersection of Grand River and National [[renamed to Cochrane Street in 1962). Address in directories is 3745 National and is usually referred to as Olympic Recreation. I believe it is the building circled in this 1949 aerial:

Name:  Screenshot 2023-12-01 14.37.33.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  86.8 KB

It was that bowling alley at Grand River and National [[Cochrane) where Gordie Howe first met Colleen. They married shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    It was that bowling alley at Grand River and National [[Cochrane) where Gordie Howe first met Colleen. They married shortly after.
    Hi Ray,

The story always told was Gordie and Colleen met just up the street from Olympia at Lucky Strike on Grand River near the Blvd. Were you ever in there or Grand Central Recreation [[14th & Ferry Park) while on duty?

Olympic was a place that seemed like it was going strong into the early 60's. They still had the All Star Classic nights.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; December-02-23 at 06:50 PM.

The story always told was Gordie and Colleen met just up the street from Olympia at Lucky Strike on Grand River near the Blvd. Were you ever in there or Grand Central Recreation [[14th & Ferry Park) while on duty?

.[/QUOTE]

I'll be darned if I can recall a bowling alley at that location. But jeez, we're talking over a half century ago. I guess I'm allowed to forget details. But I sure remember making my pulls from the call box at 14th and Ferry Park. Good beat; allowed me to hang out around old Providence Hospital and chat with some super nurses..............
    • box3.jpg [[116.6 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Ray1936; December-02-23 at 07:13 PM.

.[/QUOTE]

I'll be darned if I can recall a bowling alley at that location. But jeez, we're talking over a half century ago. I guess I'm allowed to forget details. But I sure remember making my pulls from the call box at 14th and Ferry Park. Good beat; allowed me to hang out around old Providence Hospital and chat with some super nurses..............
    • box3.jpg [[116.6 KB)

[/QUOTE]

Grand Central [[address-1941 Ferry Park) burned down in 1980. I believe apartments were above the bowling alley. The building may not have appeared like the typical bowling alley or have been distinctive in any other way.