Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Ya, wow, he should have a building named after him for bringing in 24 jobs in return for them getting a $70m federal government grant and another $78m grant from universities and other organizations. http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-home-for-148m It will have 24 JOBS "eventually". Twenty-four! Ya, that'll save the city and balance out all the lost jobs when Compuware moves out of the city after being bought out by a vulture fund. That's such an amazing ROI for all those grants and taxpayer dollars. 24 jobs doesn't do sh*t for the high unemployment rate in a city this size. If Duggan wants to save the city, he needs to abolish city income taxes so the city has a competitive business environment with other cities in metro.
    Cool it, davewindsor, that's 9 jobs more than the Marathon plant.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
    Let's see if I understand this. Detroit is broke and you want Detroit to merge with "150 local governments" that are not broke. That sounds like a honey of a deal for Detroit! Not so much for the other "150 local governments" that still have money.

but I digress.
    Actually, quite a few of them are broke. Detroit's not the first, or even the most recent local municipality to have its finances seized by the state. Quite a few southeast Michigan municipalities are in -- or have been in -- financial distress. I don't know what that says to you but it hints to me that there is a systemic flaw in the system of governments in southeast Michigan [[perhaps Michigan itself).

Ya, wow, he should have a building named after him for bringing in 24 jobs in return for them getting a $70m federal government grant and another $78m grant from universities and other organizations. http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-home-for-148m It will have 24 JOBS "eventually". Twenty-four! Ya, that'll save the city and balance out all the lost jobs when Compuware moves out of the city after being bought out by a vulture fund. That's such an amazing ROI for all those grants and taxpayer dollars. 24 jobs doesn't do sh*t for the high unemployment rate in a city this size. If Duggan wants to save the city, he needs to abolish city income taxes so the city has a competitive business environment with other cities in metro.

**whoosh**

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    And I wish more people looked at it this way. Yes, it's great for the city, but it's another example of regional cannibalism. If the city/region/state is really interested in growing everyone has to realize that Detroit's real opponent isn't the suburbs, nor should the suburbs view Detroit as an enemy either. The real opponents of both is every other urban region around the world that is competing in the global economy.

We waste a lot of time and energy having the over 150 local governments in Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties always fighting each other. It's pie-in-the-sky and would never happen, but part of me wishes that every community in the Tri-county area would merge into a single municipality. There would no longer be an "us versus them" and there HAS to be a huge savings to tax payers eliminating the individual overhead of 150 local governments in exchange for just 1.

but I digress.
    I agree having this is new jobs, many of the other moves are simply a big game of musical offices resulting in no new jobs.

TennisAndMath Guest

Nailed it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2