Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Netroots? Curious Conference in Detroit

I'm wondering what is up with these folks?! How could a collection of internet oddities afford both the Veep and a sitting Senator at their convention...and why is the Senator's speech being used as a type of positioning statement, despite her denial of desire to run for President?

I watched some of these folks walking out of Cobo Hall this past week a few evenings, and lemme tell ya, it was some of the most interesting and entertaining "people watching" I've ever engaged in...better than any airport or parade or circus.

They stretched the definition of diverse...it was more like everyone at the fringes of society decided that Detroit was a great place to party. It was tough to imagine any commonality amongst such an odd-looking array of individuals.

I'd just love to know how they get their funding...and who is directing this show?!

Elizabeth Warren has more potential for the Presidency than most anyone to the left of the Bushes...and is much younger and healthier than Hillary, without any of her baggage too. I'm betting she gains momentum, and her speech at this event goes down in history. They are already playing it up...
    Last edited by Gannon; July-20-14 at 09:13 AM.

I believe the increased density of activists might help explain why the water protests were larger than most any previous political rally in the city. I'd be curious to learn how many of those arrested were actually from Detroit or its environs. [[I only noticed after posting that Lowell gave props to Netroot in his post on the water protest)

I spoke with a friend who met and talked with a group from the conference, and they said their old activist 'radar' was peaking...it seemed some of them were not unlike the federal infiltrators they'd met in the past. I wouldn't put it past the FBI to be all over this group, since they've apparently been growing for the past decade. Reading up on the past conferences, they've had a string of influential Democrats...I'm sure I'd heard of them, but never looked 'em up until now.
    Last edited by Gannon; July-20-14 at 09:56 AM.