Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default detroit yes is now Detroit no

I am not particularly internet savvy. This is the only forum I participate in. So many amazing people, so much talent. I have learned so much. For that I am grateful.

Lately, it has just devolved into negative posts. Stupid cruel racist comments. I even got an intimidating letter mailed to my home address. The personal insults are factored into my comment. I love my city and have an obligation to improve it.

I have been accused of using words like racist and of course trolls and frankly its absolutely true. Free speech is one thing but this is starting to sound like a forum for KKK.

I am German and Fuck off is a good guttural word.

I see.....Name:  Lao Tzu Peace.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  40.9 KB

That clear on the message sent. Must be a senior moment.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I am not particularly internet savvy. This is the only forum I participate in. So many amazing people, so much talent. I have learned so much. For that I am grateful.

Lately, it has just devolved into negative posts. Stupid cruel racist comments. I even got an intimidating letter mailed to my home address. The personal insults are factored into my comment. I love my city and have an obligation to improve it.

I have been accused of using words like racist and of course trolls and frankly its absolutely true. Free speech is one thing but this is starting to sound like a forum for KKK.

Anything we see and hear in Detroit and its suburbs will be due to race. Race play a role of re-shaping our communities. Race plays a role of politics. Race plays a role on police force. And race plays a role in violent crime. Get use to it. However we we do other topics in our forum that has nothing to do with race. If you feel comfortable of using the DYES discussion forum use it. If not leave it. Your choice.

The very tension that is on this board is representative of some of the real tensions out in the real world.

Someone mailing an intimidating letter to your house is not acceptable. It sounds like someone who obviously doesn't like having their viewpoint challenged.

You and I haven't always agreed on all subjects, but that's what makes the discussion so interesting. I've had my own viewpoint shifted by other people, and perhaps I've been able to do the same.

I think virtually all people say YES to a better Detroit, but there's just a large disagreement as to how we get there, and a lot of focus and disagreement on how we got here.

I need to apologize to Lowell for being vulgar. It just really distresses me to see all Detroiters lumped as criminals and welfare cheats. I am sitting on my porch enjoying my coffee and Miss Grace kids are out mowing our urban Prairie.

We had a community meeting yesterday to address safety issues and plan our community party. Great food and fellowship. Our homes are well maintained, we care about crime issues too.

We all bleed red and want quality of life.

So I guess build those walls, continue the conceit that suburbs rule. Pretend its Nirvana.

Tracking down a person outside the forum without their consent is just not acceptable. On another forum which I am a part owner and moderator it results in a lifetime ban.

It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with Sumas, what happens on the forum stays on the forum.

I enjoy your posts sumas. I stress that I find no wrong in your posting anecdotal stuff. You are relating your experience of Detroit proper, and that may be too much to bear for folks who input from the burbs. Perhaps an outliers and visitors forum with geopositioning would help whinnow the true kernels, trash the intrudrers like myself. I am beginning to think what bothers most about you on this forum is your frankness and the fact that you genuinely love your neighbors and the city of Detroit. Keep on truckin'

Well if you truly got an intimidating letter, you should contact the post office and file a police report.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Well if you truly got an intimidating letter, you should contact the post office and file a police report.
    I did.
    See... my veracity gets questioned again. I have no issues with disagreement on the forum. Just sick of people trying to kick a perceived dead horse.

The vitality and life I see all around me resonates. The stories old timers in my area can tell are just fascinating. I really and truly love my city, love my home and my neighbors. Shouldn't be hard to understand

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I think virtually all people say YES to a better Detroit, but there's just a large disagreement as to how we get there, and a lot of focus and disagreement on how we got here.
    I could not disagree more. I believe the op is correct in that this forum attracts some racist assholes. At least one in particular has several aliases and continues to create more with nothing to contribute other than you can blame all problems on black people. People like this are so consumed by their hate that seeing Detroit succeed is the last thing they would ever want.

I'm looking at this post and wondering if you aren't yearning for the good old days of Detroit Yes. The old posters that were here are, for the most part, gone. Whether by personal choice, or for a lot of them, not of their own free will. You are stuck with the leftovers, and the new posters. Forums change, times change, people will change.

I think that you should be prepared for change, and learn to handle it in a more constructive and effective manner. The "fuck off" comment was probably not needed, speaking of negativity.
    Last edited by townonenorth; July-20-14 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    I'm looking at this post and wondering if you aren't yearning for the good old days of Detroit Yes. The old posters that were here are, for the most part, gone. Whether by personal choice, or for a lot of them, not of their own free will. You are stuck with the leftovers, and the new posters. Forums change, times change, people will change.

I think that you should be prepared for change, and learn to handle it in a more constructive and effective manner. The "fuck off" comment was probably not needed, speaking of negativity.
    I apologized for the vulgarity. Yes I miss so many former posters. Half left the forum and the other half are dead. There are many talented folks on the board still. I really do appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

I know I sound simple expecting positive comments. There is much I could post and don't. People can help us think outside the box to "heal" the city. I know I shouldn't let the bottom feeders get to me but they do. The pure hate conveyed is very distressing.

"...and the other half are dead."

Wow. Considering the relatively short life of this forum, that is an astonishingly high mortality rate, unless approximately the same percentage were, perhaps, in their late 60's [[or older) at the time of the forum's birth.

Maybe I should get out now

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post

Wow. Considering the relatively short life of this forum, that is an astonishingly high mortality rate, unless approximately the same percentage were, perhaps, in their late 60's [[or older) at the time of the forum's birth.

Well I guess you can be snide but many of us are seniors. We have tried to share our memories and skills. Heck my husband almost died a few month back. Detroit Ems saved his life and Receiving hospital also in Detroit performed several amazing and complicated surgeries. 22 days in the hospitaal so I guess it was kind of serious, he is on this forum too.Through personal contact, PMS, internet emails facebook and phone contacts we actually know /knew many members that have passed. You're relatively new to the forum, we have lost young members too. Try visiting ITs Jeff memorial stone on Belle Isle paid for by forum members.

...Maybe I should get out now
    The Backwater Gospel [[HD) DISTURBINGLY AWESOME Animated movie.

Heck forgot to mention that the very popular Garwood thread people are older than me by 5 to 15 years.

My husband has a silly saying, "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill every time. Personally "I like age before beauty, Beauty was a horse. Or how about the father saying" everything my son knows I taught him, just not everything I know".

Sumas, hang in there. I think it is better here than it was when Carl/Karl was bashing everyone's insides out. It would be bad if you left. Like, for instance, where are Erie Dearie or Old Redfordette? I think you just need to consider the source and be yourself. Screw them if they don't like what you say.

I know what you mean, people I miss that I know for a fact helped improve quality of life in the city are people like Cub, Plymouthres, Blueyedone, corner office and so many more.
    we swing by georgia street once in awhile to say hi. I could list so many others and many are ex pats that bear no grudge but still have involvement in the city of their childhood.

Always a little fascinated though by folks who never lived here or even visited but comments are positive and that is great by me.

We have on occasion hosted people from England, California, Texas, and other parts of Europe but do so infrequently.

Well I guess you can be snide but many of us are seniors. We have tried to share our memories and skills. Heck my husband almost died a few month back. Detroit Ems saved his life and Receiving hospital also in Detroit performed several amazing and complicated surgeries. 22 days in the hospitaal so I guess it was kind of serious, he is on this forum too.Through personal contact, PMS, internet emails facebook and phone contacts we actually know /knew many members that have passed. You're relatively new to the forum, we have lost young members too. Try visiting ITs Jeff memorial stone on Belle Isle paid for by forum members.
    I may not be so "relatively new to the forum," or as young, as you presume.
    Other things not new to this forum: your impulses toward self-praise, self-pity, and bitterness.

One probable cause for the intra-forum attrition is that, eventually, people grow weary of hearing other people singing their same old songs, pressing forth their same old agenda, and using the forum not so much for a community discussion, but more as a soapbox for hollering out their concrete-set points of view.

I do, however, vehemently condemn any directly personal aggression such as the type you described. Get with the USPS Inspectors, who have an office in the Fort Street building downtown, and file a report.
    Last edited by NickCharles; July-23-14 at 04:52 AM.

I may not be so "relatively new to the forum," or as young, as you presume.
    Other things not new to this forum: your impulses toward self-praise, self-pity, and bitterness.

One probable cause, for the intra-forum attrition is that, eventually, people grow weary of hearing other people singing their same old songs, pressing forth their same old agenda, and using the forum not so much for a community discussion, but more as a soapbox for hollering out their concrete-set points of view.

I do, however, vehemently condemn any directly personal aggression such as the type you described. Get with the USPS Inspectors, who have an office in the Fort Street building downtown, and file a report.
    Thank you for your psychological assessment, I assume you have credentials to make such broad sweeping statements.You sir are pompous, ill informed and quick to judge and orate on things of which you know nothing. The fact that my husband of 39 yrs almost died rolled right off your back so you are uncaring and callus to boot.

You are absolutely right, I grow weary of the negativity embraced over and over by way too many on this forum. Just one chant wonders. Hate Detroit is the mantra. You couldn't see your way to see so much that is positive that is happening. So wallow in your hate I don't need to read it. Bye!

Hate Detroit is the mantra. You couldn't see your way to see so much that is positive that is happening. So wallow in your hate I don't need to read it. Bye!
    Wait, what?

Wait, what?
    I didn't see anything derogatory about Detroit in your post, Nick.
    Oh, and welcome to the forum

The down side of internet forums is the inability to read body language, facial expressions and tone of voice. Often times a post can be taken different ways depending on the how one chooses to read it. I'm not posting this to be rude, but from reading many of your posts over the years I have noticed you have a tendency to take offense when none has been implied or intended. If you then respond in such a way that draws an actual negative response it can kind of snowball from there. Even in this thread you responded to Cliffy's post as if he called you out for lying about receiving a threatening letter, when I really don't think that was his intent. Again, I'm not trying to be rude or mean spirited, just trying to help.

Johnny 5, yes you are right, the voice inflection, facial expressions and body language in general make a huge difference in how the typed word comes across. I have been here off and on for about 18 months, have became tired of sarcastic posts, and rarely post. Why? I am here to learn everything I can from people as it relates to Detroit. not the news, not gossip, just the people. I've just learned not to expect answers too often when I do post. such is life. lily

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast