Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

To all of you whiners, would you feel better if there were no proposals [[let along developments) for these otherwise worthless pieces of land?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    To all of you whiners, would you feel better if there were no proposals [[let along developments) for these otherwise worthless pieces of land?
    I think you miss the point. Ilitch has actively forestalled the development of this area for years and years. The worthlessness of that land is largely a direct result of his actions. And he's about to be lavishly rewarded for a period of time stretching, conceivably, into the next century, for this poor civic behavior.

I stand by my prediction that the arena district will see sluggish development while other areas develop more quickly. Why? Because they're owned by Detroit's Welfare Queen No. 1.

Is Ilitch sitting on all the vacant land in Brush Park too?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I think you miss the point. Ilitch has actively forestalled the development of this area for years and years. The worthlessness of that land is largely a direct result of his actions. And he's about to be lavishly rewarded for a period of time stretching, conceivably, into the next century, for this poor civic behavior.

I stand by my prediction that the arena district will see sluggish development while other areas develop more quickly. Why? Because they're owned by Detroit's Welfare Queen No. 1.
    But we can't change the past [[though Lord knows I wish we could). We can only move forward.

At least proposing to do something with all of the vacant land he owns is better than nothing.

But we can't change the past [[though Lord knows I wish we could). We can only move forward.

At least proposing to do something with all of the vacant land he owns is better than nothing.
    Yeah, and thanks to the City of Detroit and State of Michigan, every Ilitch descendant into perpetuity can happily live off your tax dollars, while you have to plow your own street in the winter. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Yeah, and thanks to the City of Detroit and State of Michigan, every Ilitch descendant into perpetuity can happily live off your tax dollars, while you have to plow your own street in the winter. Congratulations.
    Mike Duggan actually did a pretty good job of getting all of the streets plowed last winter [[the worst winter on record).

In any event, I was able to live with the snow-rutted side streets. They helped me to become a better winter weather driver, compared to some of our suburbanites.

"Every Ilitch descendent into Perpetuity" ? You are aware that stadiums/arena only last for about 35 years nowadays so you don't have to worry about that "perpetuity" at all. Silverdome 1975-2003 JLA 1980-2017 Even the house that Ruth built is a parking lot now, no worries about that forever stuff.

I'll second that

"To all of you whiners, would you feel better if there were no proposals [[let along developments) for these otherwise worthless pieces of land?"

Is that you George Jackson?

Yeah, and thanks to the City of Detroit and State of Michigan, every Ilitch descendant into perpetuity can happily live off your tax dollars...
    Even the ilitchitimate ones?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Even the ilitchitimate ones?
    [[groooooan....)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    [[groooooan....)
    Yup. I tried tonguetwisting it thrice and gave up. Then I groaned.

Work and Utility relocation for the project to begin in december, actual construction in 2015.

https://twitter.com/JGallagherFreep/...05076445147136

There is currently a meeting going on at motor city for the developers that are bidding for work, expect more detailed updates on the project today!!

"Skeleton of new arena should be rising about 1 year from now"

I would like to hear when all the other developments outside the arena itself will begin. There is no reason that at least some of them should begin in a matter of months.

Sorry...I have very little faith that most of this will be completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    [[groooooan....)

& a good excuse to party?
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/r...arges/27761120

Mr Illitch; EXCELLENT!

Name:  mike illitch avatar..jpg
Views: 636
Size:  30.9 KB

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140905/BIZ/309050103/1361/Launch-of-$650M-Detroit-development-plan-expected-to-begin-Thursday

I wonder if anything significant will be done until after the Tigers are finished for 2014?,j

Looking at the arena footprint the thing that stands out the most is the square cut out. That's the the Park Ave Hotel[[the Eddystone is across the street on Sproat), if this is true Ilitch deserves some props for keeping the building, working around it and not leveling it like has been his m.o in the past,

Olympia Development of Michigan is going to show the public new details of its new $450 million venue that will be the home of the Detroit Red Wings and the expected catalyst for a 45-block entertainment district on the northern edge of downtown.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz3DPzsJPXw

More suburbanization of the city. Bread and Circuses for locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I hate the lost connection of Clifford Street at Cass Avenue. I do, however appreciate the plaza built around the Park Ave Hotel instead of blocking it in on 2 sides with a parking deck. Let's hope that is put there to aid the redevelopment of the building instead of demolishing it for more plaza..

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post

Olympia Development of Michigan is going to show the public new details of its new $450 million venue that will be the home of the Detroit Red Wings and the expected catalyst for a 45-block entertainment district on the northern edge of downtown.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz3DPzsJPXw

Only 40 more entertaining blocks to go!

I'm surprised how much area the arena and parking decks, plaza, etc. take up.

We all knew the retail/office space would be along Woodward and Henry, but I never expected the footprint for the arena and related to extend toward Cass.

BTW, I remember seeing graphics and I don't believe Ilitch or the city own all of the parcels bordering the east side of Clifford and also Cass.

BTW, the arena will end at SPROAT??? I thought it would go further north toward Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

hahaaaa furthest thing from it! thanks for the concern though, even you admit if it became suburbanized [[a la a sea of parking like the palace) it would be a bad thing.. this plan, on the contrary, helps keep the urban feel of the beautiful city of detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    I hate the lost connection of Clifford Street at Cass Avenue. I do, however appreciate the plaza built around the Park Ave Hotel instead of blocking it in on 2 sides with a parking deck. Let's hope that is put there to aid the redevelopment of the building instead of demolishing it for more plaza..
    Will the Ilitches offer it to someone to redevelop?

I assume they have no interest in residential real estate in their own right.

BTW, I do see the residential/retail buildings along the periphery bordering the south side of the arena. Will someone else develop [[manage) them?

The Henry block will be critical especially if it has a hotel at Woodward/Henry. I want to stay there for Tigers/Lions, etc. games.
    Last edited by emu steve; September-15-14 at 05:31 PM.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast