Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Santana Row's form is nothing like a suburban shopping mall. Not even close.
    No, it's actually the most important suburban shopping mall in the San Jose area.

Santana Row is the Somerset of the San Jose/Silicon Valley area. It's essentially the same thing, except built like California malls [[which is to say open air). It's the opposite of urban, and it has nothing to do with a sports arena.

so where are all the Detroit haters , saying ,"this will never happen"
    I'm sure there are some haters in Southeast Michigan who hate that this is happening in Detroit , the city everyone wrote off as dead... just burn the whole thing down, remember that ?
    Last edited by Detroitdave; September-25-14 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    No, it's actually the most important suburban shopping mall in the San Jose area.

Santana Row is the Somerset of the San Jose/Silicon Valley area. It's essentially the same thing, except built like California malls [[which is to say open air). It's the opposite of urban, and it has nothing to do with a sports arena.
    Unless you put an arena in the middle of it...which is apparently the whole point here. Take that lifestyle center/partridge creek with apartments Mall and wrap it around the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    so where are all the Detroit haters , saying ,"this will never happen"
    I'm sure there are some haters in Southeast Michigan who hate that this is happening in Detroit , the city everyone wrote off ass dead... just burn the whole thing down, remember that ?
    nothing about this development is paid for except the stadium. the rest is flashy animation and drawings and "proposed".

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Unless you put an arena in the middle of it...which is apparently the whole point here. Take that lifestyle center/partridge creek with apartments Mall and wrap it around the stadium.

nothing about this development is paid for except the stadium. the rest is flashy animation and drawings and "proposed".
    Your final statement is not true. Anything that is attached to the stadium via the glass roof, including the retail, office space and residential, including the structures on the westernmost side of the stadium land, are part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Well how else to you expect them to construct an ice rink in 50-60 degree weather?
    magic. So at the ice rink is there a kiosk where people can find out about future jobs related to all the developments?

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    Your final statement is not true. Anything that is attached to the stadium via the glass roof, including the retail, office space and residential, including the structures on the westernmost side of the stadium land, are part of it.
    Yes. I get that. sloppy post. I'm talking about the rest of the "neighborhoods" and everything that is supposed to fill into the spaces in the place. There are some great renderings out there of a Wintergarden full of stores and shoppers all decked out for xmas circa 2002.

I'm certain they will build out to woodward and I 75 ,

None of this spin-off development will take place as long as you people keep calling it an arena. It's an event center!

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    It's definitely a positive sign that Chris Ilitch and the Olympia Development organization have been influenced by Santana Row in San Jose. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...roit/16192173/ Although Santana Row's architecture includes a bit too much faux, it's design succeeds because of its density and balance of mixed uses. It is a destination for outsiders as well a home to over 1000 residents. It skillfully created excellent pedestrian scale in an auto dominated city that attracts shoppers, diners and hotel guests.

The Arena District site in Detroit actually has an advantage over the Santana Row site because of its closer proximity to the downtown core. Hopefully it's not foolish to remain optimistic that a new mixed use neighborhood will actually get created alongside the new arena.
    and land is there to be built on...

One thing about posts in a thread like this one is the sense of timeline and measurable goals [[pardon the geek speak).

It WILL take a long, long time to develop/redevelop most of the projects folks are talking about.

What needs to be done is come up with REALISTIC goals for say September 25, 2019, September 25, 2024, and then say September 25, 2034. That way folks can't play games by changing the 'expectations game' [[e.g., set them so high that a great project suffers against unrealistic expectations).

I have been posting here that I'd like to see the arena, and the connected buildings, the few housing buildings adjacent to the arena, a hotel at Woodward/Henry, an office building at Woodward/Temple, an office building on Woodward near the Fox, and several housing buildings at Comerica.

If most of that got build by September 25, 2019 I'd be very pleased. That would be a near 'miracle' given where Detroit was 12 or 24 months ago.

Then I'll work on my 10-year plan...

I still think this project is great for Detroit, and I do believe all the ancillery construstion will take place, but finding tenants for these places, I'm not so optimistic.

Dan Gilbert had "retailers in place" for the Z lot and it still took time for them to come to fruition. Also Woodward south of Grand Circus Park where "retailers were lining up" to be a part of the ground floor retail. Yea, there is some, but not enough to fill up downtown Woodward.

We are still waiting for the Hudson's block to be developed from a guy who acts fast. I don't know if that's a telling sign that selling downtown to conglomerates and major retailers is still a challange.

All I know is that for the first time in my life, there hasn't been a more active 5 year plan for Detroit projects and moving forward. Detroit is going to look incredibly different in the next 5+ years leading up to 2020. Just how different is debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    We are still waiting for the Hudson's block to be developed from a guy who acts fast.
    Plans are in final. Plans that are a massive departure [[in a good way) from that design contest acid trip. an announcement on a major downtown shake up is coming. The guy who likes to act fast also likes to have all of the limelight.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Plans are in final. Plans that are a massive departure [[in a good way) from that design contest acid trip. an announcement on a major downtown shake up is coming. The guy who likes to act fast also likes to have all of the limelight.
    I hope you're right Bailey. It'd be nice to see work starting there early in 2015.

And it appears, no surprise, that there are 'holdout' owners of a few key parcels near the arena site. Doesn't this always happen?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...rena/17811049/

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    And it appears, no surprise, that there are 'holdout' owners of a few key parcels near the arena site. Doesn't this always happen?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...rena/17811049/
    No surprise there. It's just a good thing it's not int the arena footprint and delaying that at all.

how much can those landowners make by "holding out" at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    how much can those landowners make by "holding out" at this point?
    Perhaps it's not about the money?

Awww..alright. It's probably about the money.

Or rather, as JP McCarthy used to say....it's about the AMOUNT of money.

Let'em stay and see if they can make it .
    They will have to up their game, once the area opens , they will have to set up.
    Once the new construction is done the city will make them clean up their act.
    they've been lazy with the appearance of their "stores" .
    The city needs to make them get their act together .
    The city is trying to clean up it's image , all business owners and residents need to step up !

Stadium Liquor needs to REALLY clean up their act. that's a really shady store and is definitely not what the illitches want around their new arena. i wish they would get kicked out of there

For Stadium Liquor and the two small historical colonials. By the U.S. Constitution the government can step in and seize their properties.

On Monday at Cobo Center, there will be a jobs fair/information fair about the hiring process for the arena development complex. 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. Reportedly there will also be information about financial aid for vocational training, high school diploma/GED training, etc. Olympia Development is the primary sponsor.

Might the Park Ave Hotel have to be demolished? That what a rep from Olympia said last week a city council meeting apparently it might violated some rules around homeland security guidelines because it's within 100 feet of the arena.

The discussion starts around the 5:00 mark

http://new.livestream.com/DetroitCha...ideos/67244543

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Might the Park Ave Hotel have to be demolished? That what a rep from Olympia said last week a city council meeting apparently it might violated some rules around homeland security guidelines because it's within 100 feet of the arena.

Good find. The Olympia rep said the eddystone is going to be fine since it's definitely away from that 100 foot mark, which is great news.

He did say they're trying to save the Park Ave. And he said really the only renovation option are apartments or a hotel for the two.

If there aren't weekly suicide bombers I'm going to be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    For Stadium Liquor and the two small historical colonials. By the U.S. Constitution the government can step in and seize their properties.
    Only problem is, an amendment to the Michigan Constitution forbids eminent domain for private projects. Since the "district" will likely be owned by the Ilitches, this would get sticky. The eminent domain laws in Detroit are even more stringent. I wouldn't count on that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post

Correction: Olympia DECIDED TO PUT THE ARENA within 100 feet of the Park Ave Hotel.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast