Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I don't see any way a pro team [[USL) would play at a high school field. If we're just talking DCFC, then I would say adding more bleachers is a potential option.
    I looked at the Google or Yahoo map and there is expansion possibilities to the Cass Tech field [[on the west side, but might require taking down a small building bordering Grand River).

Maybe they put up a couple thousand nice seats and a press box on the west side?

The hard part is ownership: How does a for profit corporation and the public schools get together on something like this?

Anything here [[or near Cass Tech - Ilitch development) which benefits Cass Tech's environs has to be a good thing. Those students deserve better surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Why don't they just build more seating at their current field, Cass Tech? Simple deal. Spend a couple of hundred grand and be done with it.

They just turned away three hundred fans after selling out of 2000 tickets. Three hundred folks turned away during the height of the World Cup frenzy does not warrant the demand for a dedicated semi-pro soccer field.

The team turned away 400 fans, after selling out the field which was 3400 tickets. I have been attending DCFC games for three years now, and trust me, this is not a World Cup bump, this is the team actually getting some pub in the mainstream community. When you are a semi-pro team, giving up 4k in revenue is really not an option. DCFC already outdraws all the USL-Pro [[Think AAA Baseball) except 2, and had the leading attendance in it's league, the NPSL [[Think A Baseball).

Personally I think a sharing arrengement with Duggan on his new SSS for his USL Pro team would be perfect. Then when, not if, when that team folds DCFC can take over the stadium and move up to NASL [[AAA Baselball).

Quick remedy would be to add Bleachers to the Visitors Side westside of Cass Tech. This field is your typical high school, with a nice large grand stand on the home side and some small bleachers for the visitors side. If you added some larger bleachers to the visitors side [[which is where the Northern Guard "rowdy" fans) you could easily add capacity to the stands for another 1,000-2,000 fans. You might be able to add to the south end zone as well. North Side is too close to a street. Also note that there were a lot of people standing and watching because the stands were full.

Although the field is crammed into its current space. There is very little space along the sidelines, maybe a foot or two between the OB Lines and Fences, which are dangerous. The coaches and subs were sitting in the stands because no room for benches on the field level.

I'd also be careful as to not build too large, then it would feel like a high school game at ford field. Yeah, there were a 8,000 people at the game but it looked like nobody because of the size of the stadium.

Well said, JDKeepsmiling.

Last Night attendance of 3,020 at a Friendly Match.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Quick remedy would be to add Bleachers to the Visitors Side westside of Cass Tech. This field is your typical high school, with a nice large grand stand on the home side and some small bleachers for the visitors side. If you added some larger bleachers to the visitors side [[which is where the Northern Guard "rowdy" fans) you could easily add capacity to the stands for another 1,000-2,000 fans. You might be able to add to the south end zone as well. North Side is too close to a street. Also note that there were a lot of people standing and watching because the stands were full.

Although the field is crammed into its current space. There is very little space along the sidelines, maybe a foot or two between the OB Lines and Fences, which are dangerous. The coaches and subs were sitting in the stands because no room for benches on the field level.

I'd also be careful as to not build too large, then it would feel like a high school game at ford field. Yeah, there were a 8,000 people at the game but it looked like nobody because of the size of the stadium.
    I hope I'm not showing my ignorance of the sport, but isn't a soccer field larger than an American football field?

Wasn't the field set up as an American football field for the Cass Tech h.s. football team? [[that's mostly a rhetorical question).

If a team came which had 'deep' [[not really deep) pockets they could pay to have the visitor seating moved and expanded and the field and surroundings upgraded.

Isn't there a building [[mapping programs suggest 'Directions Salon') on Grand River which extends close to the stands? Is that a building which could be bought and demolished or isn't there some garden space which could be sold without impacting the building? W/out that building isn't there say another 40 - 60 feet of east/west land? [[although some of it would be cut off by Grand River).

Correct?

And it would be good for Cass Tech.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-24-14 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm glad they're doing great, but you don't know how long the crest will last. Have they approached Wayne State?
    I just re-read this post and I'll ask a question I asked re: Cass Tech - can the playing field area be expanded???? [[the issue at Cass is trying to get more seats on the west side of the stadium).

Wayne's stadium has a track surrounding it [[just like EMU).

I believe a soccer stadium might require more area than a football stadium and a stadium with a track isn't really 'expandable'.

Anyone know if WSU has hosted ANY soccer matches? Have they tried to fit a soccer field at Adams Field?

[[time for me to go to Wiki and find out the size of soccer fields vis-à-vis American football).

EDIT: [[Here are the dimension issues from Wikipedia):

American football [[known as football in the United States and gridiron in some other countries) is a sport played by two teams of eleven players on a rectangular field 120 yards long by 53.33 yards wide with goalposts at each end.

[[Soccer): Standard pitch measurements. Not all pitches are the same size, though the preferred size for many professional teams' stadiums is 105 by 68 metres [[115 yd × 74 yd) with an area of 7,140 square metres [[1.76 acres).

The lengths are comparable [[soccer field is 5 yards shorter), but a soccer field is 20 yards wider.

A soccer field would not fit at Wayne's stadium because of the track surrounding the football field.

I suppose if a USL or equivalent team wanted to play at WSU, maybe a deal could be worked out for WSU to remove the track and convert the field to football/soccer [[instead of football/track), but there would be a lot of expense involved in building a new track. Would a USL team be willing to foot the bill?
    Last edited by emu steve; July-24-14 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I just re-read this post and I'll ask a question I asked re: Cass Tech - can the playing field area be expanded???? [[the issue at Cass is trying to get more seats on the west side of the stadium).

Wayne's stadium has a track surrounding it [[just like EMU).

I believe a soccer stadium might require more area than a football stadium and a stadium with a track isn't really 'expandable'.

Anyone know if WSU has hosted ANY soccer matches? Have they tried to fit a soccer field at Adams Field?

[[time for me to go to Wiki and find out the size of soccer fields vis-à-vis American football).

EDIT: [[Here are the dimension issues from Wikipedia):

American football [[known as football in the United States and gridiron in some other countries) is a sport played by two teams of eleven players on a rectangular field 120 yards long by 53.33 yards wide with goalposts at each end.

[[Soccer): Standard pitch measurements. Not all pitches are the same size, though the preferred size for many professional teams' stadiums is 105 by 68 metres [[115 yd × 74 yd) with an area of 7,140 square metres [[1.76 acres).

The lengths are comparable [[soccer field is 5 yards shorter), but a soccer field is 20 yards wider.

A soccer field would not fit at Wayne's stadium because of the track surrounding the football field.

I suppose if a USL or equivalent team wanted to play at WSU, maybe a deal could be worked out for WSU to remove the track and convert the field to football/soccer [[instead of football/track), but there would be a lot of expense involved in building a new track. Would a USL team be willing to foot the bill?
    I would welcome Pro Soccer to Detroit, [[for the 3rd time) but I just don't see the need for yet another stadium. Wouldn't it be cheaper to alter the WSU stadium, then build one from scratch? Another plus would be WSU would be getting more exposure.

I would welcome Pro Soccer to Detroit, [[for the 3rd time) but I just don't see the need for yet another stadium. Wouldn't it be cheaper to alter the WSU stadium, then build one from scratch? Another plus would be WSU would be getting more exposure.
    I could see EITHER Wayne State or Cass Tech but we'd need either a university or public school to work with a private entity to get it done.

I'd suspect it would be much, much easier for WSU to pull it off.

I'm trying in my mind to view the WSU athletic fields [[I have a WSU degree and have gone to football games there during the Joique Bell era) and think if they have enough space at Trumbull and W. Warren to put up a [[replacement) track.

They have sufficient parking for football/soccer.

EDIT:

There is enough unused space at Trumbull and W. Warren and maybe also at Trumbull and the Edsel Ford service drive for a track.

I like the idea. They could add say 1,000 permanent seats on the east side which would be beneficial for both FB and soccer and get rid of that 'high school visitor's side' look.

And, maybe, a nice video board replacing the really bad one there.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-24-14 at 01:57 PM.

I like the idea. They could add say 1,000 permanent seats on the east side which would be beneficial for both FB and soccer and get rid of that 'high school visitor's side' look. And, maybe, a nice video board replacing the really bad one there.
    Good. Then we're in agreement. Steve, get me WSU on the phone!

Good. Then we're in agreement. Steve, get me WSU on the phone!
    Perfect, perfect, perfect:

Detroit City plays at Cass Tech.

New USL team plays at WSU.

New MLS plays [[2020) at wherever Duggan [[assuming he owns it) and Chris Ilitch agree on land owned by him [[I assume) most like in the sports and entertainment zone [[that is where a 20k+ stadium belongs).

WSU gets: 1). Monies to relocate the track,
    2). Monies to do the turf work and install 1K perm. seats on the east side.
    3). Monies for a new scoreboard.

WSU has a nice 'west side' stadium' with press box, plenty of rest rooms, and a small concession stand [[which maybe WSU could improve).

It would cost Duggan a few million to get a place to play and WSU athletics gets BADLY needed upgrade to their stadium.

The WSU AD, Rob Fournier, was at Akron [[MAC) and is a very savvy AD for D-II athletics. He can deal with the big boys of pro sports.

BTW, in 1974 the Detroit Wheels of the World Football League played at Rynearson Stadium [[EMU). They paid for lighting and also, I believe, seats on the east [[visitor) side. [Those seats were replaced in the early 90s with perm. seat per the NCAA mandate on min. seating size for [[then) 1-A football.]

It can be done.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-24-14 at 03:32 PM.

Check out Univ of Detroit Field on Google Maps and you can see the size of a soccer field vs football field. They also incorporate a track. Only thing missing is bleachers for the fans. Which could be built along the parking lot............

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Check out Univ of Detroit Field on Google Maps and you can see the size of a soccer field vs football field. They also incorporate a track. Only thing missing is bleachers for the fans. Which could be built along the parking lot............
    Question: Is that a regulation sized soccer field? [[or simply as much as can be squeezed insize the track).

That might fly for college soccer [[assume that is the usage) but would the pros agree to it?

My favorite solution: Have a USL owner [[Duggan?) spend a few million with WSU and come up with a really nice stadium for both a USL team and WSU's football team.

It is very possible that Duggan can say I'll spend X millions on renovation in exchange for... and the WSU AD Fournier say I'll spend Y millions also. They could build a nice scoreboard, build permanent concessions, do some chair back seating, etc. as well as some perm. seating on the east side and doing field work.

Needless to say, any stadium without an enclosed track looks much, much better.

I think that is a 'win-win'.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-24-14 at 04:56 PM.

BTW, here is an article by Bill Shea with extensive quotes from Dan Duggan [[suggesting we could hear something definitive early August).

Doesn't sound like he wants to think 'small' e.g., WSU, etc. Appears he thinks a stadium can be built for a few million... So after all of the posts on WSU, Cass Tech, etc.

""The United Soccer Leagues fully understand my current position and the challenges that we have in securing the land to get a downtown stadium built to play in for 2015. That is still our plan, and we are working with several entities to get this accomplished." [[emphasis mine).

What appropriate land other than by the new arena?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...deal-by-august
    Last edited by emu steve; July-24-14 at 09:52 PM.

What about rehabing Keyworth Stadium?

I'm glad they're doing great, but you don't know how long the crest will last. Have they approached Wayne State?
    I read or heard that they wouldn't consider WSU because of the track that separates the pitch from the stands. They believe that separation will ruin the whole atmosphere and degrade the experience they are trying to create. I can see it in some ways but it seems like a safer bet to give that a go in a larger stadium before trying to finance & build a new single use stadium.
    Last edited by cjd; July-24-14 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    I read or heard that they wouldn't consider WSU because of the track that separates the pitch from the stands. They believe that separation will ruin the whole atmosphere and degrade the experience they are trying to create. I can see it in some ways but it seems like a safer bet to give that a go in a larger stadium before trying to finance & build a new single use stadium.
    My point exactly. This will make the third time pro-soccer has been tried in the Metro-Detroit area in my lifetime. I hope it catches on, but it's fizzled out twice before.

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    If I'm reading Bill Shea's article in Crains correctly, Dan Duggan is thinking big, even for his 5K+ stadium for a USL team.

Apparently he feels that 'just any' stadium [[e.g., re-doing WSU's FB stadium) would hurt the team, and, in the long run, hurt his chances of getting a MLS team.

Apparently spending 5M for stadium to house a USL team + Detroit City FC is a necessary investment which must happen and must succeed before there is the next step, MLS. Kind of like in love, if there is no good dating and engagement, there is no marriage. If the team 'fails' [[or is a mediocre draw at a bad stadium) that kills his grand hopes.

I'm really wondering if Duggan would like to get his hands of some of the excess land that the Ilitches own within the Woodward/Temple/Cass/Fisher footprint. That land has access to the Fisher, M-1 rail, etc. [[most of the land Ilitches need is east of Park).

If not, something further west, perhaps close to the Masonic Temple, near Cass Park???

If I'm reading Bill Shea's article in Crains correctly, Dan Duggan is thinking big, even for his 5K+ stadium for a USL team.

Apparently he feels that 'just any' stadium [[e.g., re-doing WSU's FB stadium) would hurt the team, and, in the long run, hurt his chances of getting a MLS team.

Apparently spending 5M for stadium to house a USL team + Detroit City FC is a necessary investment which must happen and must succeed before there is the next step, MLS. Kind of like in love, if there is no good dating and engagement, there is no marriage. If the team 'fails' [[or is a mediocre draw at a bad stadium) that kills his grand hopes.

I'm really wondering if Duggan would like to get his hands of some of the excess land that the Ilitches own within the Woodward/Temple/Cass/Fisher footprint. That land has access to the Fisher, M-1 rail, etc. [[most of the land Ilitches need is east of Park).

If not, something further west, perhaps close to the Masonic Temple, near Cass Park???
    Now that Ilitch has "developed" the area in that end of town, you can bet it'll be sold back to the City for four times it's worth.

Now that Ilitch has "developed" the area in that end of town, you can bet it'll be sold back to the City for four times it's worth.
    You may have, inadvertently [[?), made an interesting point:

Assume [[Dan) Duggan and associates want to build a 5M stadium, how do they get the land [[assume buy it from Ilitch or others) BUT how does it stadium get built and who owns it?

Could this be entirely privately funded because of the small amount? And privately operated? Taxed as privately owned?

If the public [[i.e., City of Detroit) is involved no way does all of this get done in nine months. How about one year and nine months? Never?
    Last edited by emu steve; July-26-14 at 09:23 AM.

For those that don't think soccer is that popular in this area, how do you explain the Manchester United/Real Madrid match at the Big House selling out in less than a day with ticket prices on the secondary market averaging $386.00 each? A Detroit MLS team in a 20k seat arena would sell out every game. Bring It!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2