Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    That car is definitely a 1974 Plymouth Gran Fury. I would say it was taken around 1974-76
    So we have a base limit of about 1974. Does anyone have a source regarding when Woodward was narrowed to 4 lanes so that the sidewalks could be widened? I can recall in the late 70's it was there and was bus only with plans to put a roof on it [[like Muskegon Mall). http://www.muskegon-mi.gov/cresource...wn-history.pdf

I think you are dead on with the Gran Fury, Cincinnati kid. You can tell from among other things the nameplate behind the front wheel well.

I believe that Woodward between Campus Martius and Grand Circus Park was narrowed and closed to all but bus and emergency vehicle traffic some time around 1978.

One of my best friends had a '74 Gran Fury [[bought from his grandfather in 1980 when his LTD was smashed in front of my house), and the close up makes it clear that that is the car in this picture.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-20-14 at 11:26 PM.

Woodward was narrowed in front of the Hudson's building in 1977. Cars did traveled up Woodward from Campus Martius northward but it was more of a challenged driving from Campus Martius to Adam

Danny I think that a Microsoft and Apple will come but after the renovation of Woodward and more gestapo like security patrol the downtown area. Most of those shops will outprice the average trouble making window shoppers from being in the area saving maybe a few wayward girls from Grosse Pointe to add a little urban graffiti flare to give the area that edge

Lots of hustle and bustle during the day. What was downtown like at night during this time period?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I believe that Woodward between Campus Martius and Grand Circus Park was narrowed and closed to all but bus and emergency vehicle traffic some time around 1978.

One of my best friends had a '74 Gran Fury [[bought from his grandfather in 1980 when his LTD was smashed in front of my house), and the close up makes it clear that that is the car in this picture.
    Mine had a 360 4 barrel and would kick into final gear about 65 mph and fly like hell. Not that I would ever speed as a 17 year old. I was an angel!

Remember how fun it was to drive those old boats in the snow?

Okay so we are now looking at probably sometime between 1974 and 1977 [[considering it probably took the entire season to narrow the traffic lanes and widen the sidewalks). Seems late considering the clothes, but we are working with what we got in the photo. Maybe Detroit was a few years behind the times in terms of fashion, or held onto the wild paisley longer than the rest of the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Lots of hustle and bustle during the day. What was downtown like at night during this time period?
    A ghost-town. This was the heart of the retail district, and at the time was considered the 100 percent corner. Sundays too. Most of the stores were closed then.

"The 100-percent corner is a real estate term used to denote the most important corner in downtown, Aspen said. "It's not the entry into downtown, but it's where you really know you're in the heart of downtown." "
    http://www.chrislandcommercialreales...%202-24-10.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    A ghost-town. Most of the stores were closed then.
    You're right, as far as retail, ALL the stores were closed after hours and on weekends. But back then, Downtown Detroit still did more than it's fair share of restaurant and nightlife business. Top of The Flame, Caucus Club, Ponchetrain Wine Cellars, Topinka's, Flaming Embers, and Detroit's staples, American and Lafayette Coney Island's, just to name a few. Coming into Detroit for dinner and a show was a first class big deal. As the populace left and settled elsewhere, quality restaurants emerged in those neighborhoods, and the downtown business tapered off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2