Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    I don't know why you would be stared at unless, judging by your screen name, you are a cartoon figure that is green and you have antennae protruding from your cranium. Then you might get some awkward stares because we don't see to many martians in these parts.

But what we do see in the farmer's market and throughout the greater Grosse Pointe area are plenty of black people and other minorities. All who comport themselves with civility, dignity and respect are welcome here.
    Okay, but that doesn't mean there's one or two people in the crowd who aren't used to being around minorities. They might not even be GP residents and could be visiting from out of town, but that doesn't mean those people don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    She should've had it towed.
    That's being over-dramatic. The easier and simple solution is to just have the driver move their car. At least that's I would have done, but I had already joked earlier that day about going to jail because of accidentally doing to same thing. There was an event going on so there were a lot of cars parked on the street and it was bound to happen. Anyway, that's kind of besides the point.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Okay, but that doesn't mean there's one or two people in the crowd who aren't used to being around minorities. They might not even be GP residents and could be visiting from out of town, but that doesn't mean those people don't exist.
    If one or two people out of a whole crowd who may not be used to being around minorities make you uncomfortable then that says far more about you than about them. Perhaps you need to examine your hypersensitivity. Hold your head high and show them that you're no different than they are.

There are plenty of black folks who shop at Kroger in the village because many of them live in Grosse Pointe and some of them come in from Detroit to shop because of the abysmal shopping choices in that city. And guess what, everyone is welcome regardless of their skin color. And that includes you. It is time to let go of the large chip on your shoulder.

If one or two people out of a whole crowd who may not be used to being around minorities make you uncomfortable then that says far more about you than about them. Perhaps you need to examine your hypersensitivity. Hold your head high and show them that you're no different than they are.

There are plenty of black folks who shop at Kroger in the village because many of them live in Grosse Pointe and some of them come in from Detroit to shop because of the abysmal shopping choices in that city. And guess what, everyone is welcome regardless of their skin color. And that includes you. It is time to let go of the large chip on your shoulder.
    I agree. Rich white people are alright, they just dress funny.

No, the city of Grosse Pointe Park was not trying to get pot legalized. It was 2 crackpots from other cities who were trying to get signatures on a petition. One was from Detroit and the other was from either Ferndale or Oak Park, I can't remember which. Fortunately a large number of the signatures they gathered were found to be invalid due to an incorrect date put on the petition. Therefore the proposal will not be on the ballot.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014072...se-Pointe-Park
    Well, small point of fact here, but for the incredibly silly technicality of a screw up on the dating of the form, it would have been on the ballot as GPP residents provided more than enough signatures. This wasn't fraud where the names were made up or the pages were photocopied to make it seem more signed.

Or we can just come to an agreement that racists do exist.

Or we can just come to an agreement that racists do exist.
    I never said that racists do not exist.

But just because "one or two people in the crowd may not be comfortable around minorities" [[your own words) you don't need to martyr yourself and refuse to go somewhere you might want to go.

Not everyone in Grosse Pointe is a racist just as not everyone in Detroit is a crack addicted predator who is laying in wait to kill you for a nickel. You need to stop with the stereotypes.

I myself am a minority in Grosse Pointe. There are far more black people in G.P. than there are Jews. My wife is also a minority, she is black. And neither one of us has ever felt snubbed, mistreated or outwardly discriminated against in decades of living in this community.

But if you want to go around with a chip on your shoulder then it is certainly your right to do so. But if you let go of said chip you just might meet some truly wonderful people [[of all races) and experience some really great things. The choice is yours.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; August-04-14 at 10:26 PM.

I never said that racists do not exist.

But just because "one or two people in the crowd may not be comfortable around minorities" [[your own words) you don't need to martyr yourself and refuse to go somewhere you might want to go.

Not everyone in Grosse Pointe is a racist just as not everyone in Detroit is a crack addicted predator who is laying in wait to kill you for a nickel. You need to stop with the stereotypes.

I myself am a minority in Grosse Pointe. Their are far more black people in G.P. than there are Jews. My wife is also a minority, she is black. And neither one of us has ever felt snubbed, mistreated or outwardly discriminated against in decades of living in this community.

But if you want to go around with a chip on your shoulder then it is certainly your right to do so. But if you let go of said chip you just might meet some truly wonderful people [[of all races) and experience some really great things. The choice is yours.
    I never said I refuse to go to Grosse Pointe. In fact, I've said I been through there repeated times.

I never said I refuse to go to Grosse Pointe. In fact, I've said I been through there repeated times.
    Perhaps I am a little slow on the draw. Please show me where you've said you have been there repeated times and not where you have said you are uncomfortable going there because one or two people in the crowd may be uncomfortable around minorities.

Perhaps I am a little slow on the draw. Please show me where you've said you have been there repeated times and not where you have said you are uncomfortable going there because one or two people in the crowd may be uncomfortable around minorities.
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...132#post446132

http://www.detroitmi.gov/News/tabid/...8/Default.aspx

There's now an agreement between GPP and Detroit.. they'll reopen Kercheval at Alter in november.. Detroit has to do some landscaping and remove some buildings..

This is the outcome I like to see.

Ŕaŕ
    This is the outcome I like to see.
    Agreed. I didn't like the signals this was sending. I am ready to bet this has to do you with what is going down in Ferguson Mo. Detroit can go very far if it deletes the crap out of the sadness of racism. The closed street was a crock of shit. I am glad it is gone, this means there are pols you can count on.
    Last edited by canuck; August-19-14 at 08:58 PM.

If a black person got shot or killed in GPP or anywhere in Metro-Detroit, it would be like Ferguson, MO. even worse than the Malice Green beating death!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Ŕaŕ

Agreed. I didn't like the signals this was sending. I am ready to bet this has to do you with what is going down in Ferguson Mo. Detroit can go very far if it deletes the crap out of the sadness for us of racism. The closed street was a crock of shit. I am glad it is gone, this means there are pols you can count on.
    Meh. I'm just happy that it's a joint agreement between the two cities rather than one trying to upsurp the other.

an agreement to end racism between the two communities??? thats special... onto the next contrived injustice being perpertrated by the man to protest!!!!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...between-cities

I applaud the GPPark leadership for changing course and listening to constituent outcry. Moreover, this is a win for good planning.

Sound's like a peace treaty between East and West Berlin in 1989. But will it last? 'Tear down this wall.'

'Eich Bin Ein Grosse Pointe Park!'

Meh. I'm just happy that it's a joint agreement between the two cities rather than one trying to upsurp the other.
    This does a couple of things well: it brings two important players to the table to settle something fast, and it rids the region of a perceived injustice. Dragging this out would have been very bad, don't you think?

This does a couple of things well: it brings two important players to the table to settle something fast, and it rids the region of a perceived injustice. Dragging this out would have been very bad, don't you think?
    And remember Danny, there is also the Wall of Shame between Israel and Palestine on the West Bank that is still going strong.

Ŕaŕ

Agreed. I didn't like the signals this was sending. I am ready to bet this has to do you with what is going down in Ferguson Mo. Detroit can go very far if it deletes the crap out of the sadness of racism. The closed street was a crock of shit. I am glad it is gone, this means there are pols you can count on.

The street is staying as closed as it was. What is happening is the temporary structures that were never meant to stay long term are being removed at the end of the farmer's market in november as scheduled and Detroit is putting in another traffic circle at Kercheval and Alter.
    As part of the deal, Grosse Pointe Park will reopen motorists’ access to Kercheval at Alter Road and construct a new permanent farmers market building that will be “very visually appealing from all directions,” Grosse Pointe Park Mayor Pro Tem Greg Theokas said today.

“The final concept is going to be a plaza, and it’s absolutely going to be welcoming to Detroiters,” Theokas said. The existing wooden farmers market shed is to be removed by the end of the year, he said.

The traffic roundabout installed last month by Grosse Pointe Park, turning Kercheval into a cul-de-sac, will stay; but the City of Detroit will install its own landscaped traffic roundabout at Kercheval and Alter, both sides said. The goal is to “support the Park’s commitment to creating a vibrant, quaint, village atmosphere for shoppers” as well as “Detroit’s ongoing revitalization,” said the statement from Duggan.

Under the agreement, Detroit officials agreed remove several abandoned buildings along Alter between Jefferson and Mack Avenue, and to collaborate with Grosse Pointe Park to improve their border areas from Mack to East Jefferson — most of their entire border, Theokas said.
    the PR here is great. GP gets what it wanted all along. a closed [[for all intents and purposes..as now you need to negotiate two traffic circles less than a block from each other) street, Detroit promises to clean up buildings GPP has been trying to get Detroit to tear down for two decades, and Duggan looks like a hero. wins all around.
    Last edited by bailey; August-20-14 at 08:20 AM.

While I didn't have an issue with GPP shutting down a road within it's own borders [[which it wasn't doing...) this solution is much better.

I don't think you'd see a Kwame Kilpatrick or a Benny Napoleon reaching this kind of deal, they were about perpetuating the divide.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    The street is staying as closed as it was. What is happening is the temporary structures that were never meant to stay long term are being removed at the end of the farmer's market in november as scheduled and Detroit is putting in another traffic circle at Kercheval and Alter.
    The Freep said that Kercheval will be reopened.

As part of the deal, Grosse Pointe Park will reopen motorists’ access to Kercheval at Alter Road and construct a new permanent farmers market building that will be “very visually appealing from all directions,” Grosse Pointe Park Mayor Pro Tem Greg Theokas said today.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140819/NEWS02/308190178/Detroit-Grosse-Pointe-Park-racism-farmers-market

And remember Danny, there is also the Wall of Shame between Israel and Palestine on the West Bank that is still going strong.
    Only radicals think its an 'injustice'. Regular people of all colors seem to go shopping in harmony. I've not seen this, nor experienced it, but I believe only what fits my world-view. Looks like nobody here minds this thing except some unhappy people for who enjoy finding racial micro-aggressions -- and believing in them because it fits their world-view.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; August-20-14 at 08:58 AM. Reason: remove mideast conflict rant, while needed was off-topic

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Only radicals think its an 'injustice'. Regular people of all colors seem to go shopping in harmony. I've not seen this, nor experienced it, but I believe only what fits my world-view. Looks like nobody here minds this thing except some unhappy people for who enjoy finding racial micro-aggressions -- and believing in them because it fits their world-view.
    I was one of the strongest opponents to this, and I never resorted to the race card, nor was motivated by it [[nor was 'injustice' ever a talking point...what's unjust about this? Who said that?). My objection was physical/aesthetic, with a healthy recognition of how highly irregular it is to place barns in a street at your city limit, with their backside facing your municipal neighbor. The horrid optics of that motivated me in part, but only because I don't appreciate GP or any place having a walled-like appearance [[I disdain all gated communities). I always said from the get go that unless someone could proof racial animus at a trial, I was not going to ascribe even a whiff of that to GPPark.

I believe many in GPP shared this view. They are not racists, and they did not want to be perceived as potentially racists, or scared, or as people wanting walls around them. And better still, they saw this as a terrible plan for Kercheval and not the way to stimulate commerce and foot traffic. The ends-means analysis totally failed in this measure, and the smart people of GPP knew that.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast