Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Mack is wide, smooth and very, very well patrolled. And it's only a block away.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    They mention Stone Street in NYC as "inspiration" for this project. It's literally one of the shortest and most narrow streets in Manhattan. http://goo.gl/maps/16pgz

If it really was an inspiration, how come GPP didn't put a similar barn/dead end on the other end of the strip at Beaconsfield? They could have repaved that whole section of Kerchival with brick or stone and only limit vechicle traffic to the alley ways. They could have had a whole pedestrian mall!

Even if the intent wasn't malicious, the whole thing is very bad execution. GPP needs to better plan their projects.

The freep story says not a word about the property issue. “The city is currently reviewing its legal options regarding this project,” is pretty vague.

Quote Originally Posted by ptero View Post
    The freep story says not a word about the property issue. “The city is currently reviewing its legal options regarding this project,” is pretty vague.
    Article is a bit off in general. There's a whole section headed "Just Like Ferndale?" that never says anything like that, except to quote Spivey saying Ferndale doesn't put up blockades to be successful.

An interesting coincidence that Mayor Palmer "we don't need to get permission from anybody" Heenan and Mayor Pro-tem Theokis forgot to mention the planning professionals they consulted.

Meanwhile, Michigan's most well-know planner says this:

But to Robin Boyle, chair of urban planning at Wayne State University, the white-painted blockade is an eyesore.

“The street is coming back, the visitors are coming back, but as for that agricultural shed — I’m about speechless,” said Boyle, who also chairs the Birmingham Planning Board.
    Blocking the street “flies in the face of the contemporary view of cities, which is not about closure — it’s about open access,” he said.
    Last edited by swingline; July-28-14 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    An interesting coincidence that Mayor Palmer "we don't need to get permission from anybody" Heenan and Mayor Pro-tem Theokis forgot to mention the planning professionals they consulted. Meanwhile, the Michigan's most well-know planner says this:
    Maybe you could ask Boyle to walk down Kercheval, from Conner to Grosse Pointe. Then report back how walkable that part of the City is.

Maybe someone should axe the architect at HomeDepot Associates what the concept was behind the shed installation.

Did they pour a concrete slab or did they intentionally keep the aspenite flooring to make a statement?

All these questions are important/unimportant, but at least they are questions to feed the trolls, and my relative insanity. I said relative, not relative's.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Maybe someone should axe the architect at HomeDepot Associates what the concept was behind the shed installation.

Did they pour a concrete slab or did they intentionally keep the aspenite flooring to make a statement?

All these questions are important/unimportant, but at least they are questions to feed the trolls, and my relative insanity. I said relative, not relative's.
    Well, the point of a slab, with rat wall, is to keep rats from Occupying Shed. Since it IS sitting on a concrete slab, of sorts, there probably wouldn't be a need for slab on slab. As for as all the rhetoric about the Home Depot shed floating around on this thread, it does resemble a barn, [[well, sorta). I bet they end up painting it red with white outlines, to make it look like a barn. Therefore: barn = farmers = farmer's market. You can bet some Dolly Decorate on the council cooked that one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Maybe you could ask Boyle to walk down Kercheval, from Conner to Grosse Pointe. Then report back how walkable that part of the City is.
    Sorry HT, I don't understand your point.

I'm confused: The articles specifically states that both GP and Detroit officials agree that Detroit was never asked about or consulted about this project. This seems to fly in the face of earlier statements on this thread that GP approached Detroit officials about this and Detroit didn't want to be involved.

Quite a contradiction.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Sorry HT, I don't understand your point.
    NP, My point was that Kercheval, from Conner to the shed, isn't that walkable. From the shed going East, North, etc., is very walkable. When I quoted your original post, somehow:
    "The street is coming back, the visitors are coming back, but as for that agricultural shed — I’m about speechless,” said Boyle, who also chairs the Birmingham Planning Board.
    Blocking the street “flies in the face of the contemporary view of cities, which is not about closure — it’s about open access,” he said.
    was left off. If people really do want to walk into Detroit, like to go to the liquor store, or the Texas Bar, all they have to do is cross the street. It's not an electic fence with razor wire, it's just a concrete sidewalk-like slab.

Well, the point of a slab, with rat wall, is to keep rats from Occupying Shed. Since it IS sitting on a concrete slab, of sorts, there probably wouldn't be a need for slab on slab. As for as all the rhetoric about the Home Depot shed floating around on this thread, it does resemble a barn, [[well, sorta). I bet they end up painting it red with white outlines, to make it look like a barn. Therefore: barn = farmers = farmer's market. You can bet some Dolly Decorate on the council cooked that one up.
    True, the Barney look will suffuse it with open air market marketability. If Gilbert weren't so stuck up on Detroit be all/end all, he could consider doing a rent-a-wife to spread the joy into GP.
    Said wife could redesign barn à la Mondrian, and freak out what is left of the blue haired crowd in the Pointes...
    Last edited by canuck; July-28-14 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    They mention Stone Street in NYC as "inspiration" for this project. It's literally one of the shortest and most narrow streets in Manhattan. http://goo.gl/maps/16pgz

If it really was an inspiration, how come GPP didn't put a similar barn/dead end on the other end of the strip at Beaconsfield? They could have repaved that whole section of Kerchival with brick or stone and only limit vechicle traffic to the alley ways. They could have had a whole pedestrian mall!

Even if the intent wasn't malicious, the whole thing is very bad execution. GPP needs to better plan their projects.
    That was odd because this seems nothing like Stone St. Stone St is not a through street right there. It's blocked by a skyscraper and a small pedestrian plaza at the other end, which is why they are able to use it for outdoor seating for the bars and restaurants on that block.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    True, the Barney look will suffuse it with open air market marketability. If Gilbert weren't so stuck up on Detroit be all/end all, he could consider doing a rent-a-wife to spread the joy into GP.
    Said wife could redesign barn à la Mondrian, and freak out what is left of the blue haired crowd in the Pointes...
    Now THAT'S a barn color!

Name:  Chase-Hallway.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  85.4 KB

Now THAT'S a barn color!

Name:  Chase-Hallway.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  85.4 KB
    A veritable chicken coop of a call center. Old Foghorn Leghorn would have a field day in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I'm confused: The articles specifically states that both GP and Detroit officials agree that Detroit was never asked about or consulted about this project. This seems to fly in the face of earlier statements on this thread that GP approached Detroit officials about this and Detroit didn't want to be involved.

Quite a contradiction.
    Huh, go figure! The people who were saying that GPP did due diligence out the wazoo aren't at all interested in acknowledging this? Well color me shocked!!

It's just further proof that even though two DetroitYes forum posters discovered some documents that said otherwise, the issue is still unsettled and even the officials agree that they forgot to do what would normally be done.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post

Exactly right. Stone street looks like Europe, and its entrance off the main streets is not a barn, but a tiny little parade barricade.

Such bad execution; such poor choices.

Big Slim wants to know if they are selling "hot buttered corn".....just the messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    It's just further proof that even though two DetroitYes forum posters discovered some documents that said otherwise, the issue is still unsettled and even the officials agree that they forgot to do what would normally be done.
    My guess is that someone from public works did the due dilligence and measured where the boarder is. When they figured out everything was going to be in GPP they saw no need to ask for Detroit permission.

I'm happy so see that someone finally firgured out where the boarder is and actually measured it.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/g...attle/26987996

So now 9 pages in, can we stop for a second and recognize that it never mattered whether they built this in GPP or Detroit. I'm sure Detroit would have no problem with GPP trying new ideas out. If it was within Detroit City limits, I'm also sure Detroit would have been gracious and agreed to it -- for perhaps a 3 year period to see how it works out.

The only issue here is that certain malcontents are making this non-issue into a big issue so they can keep racial prejudice alive in order to validate their feelings of inferiority.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Huh, go figure! The people who were saying that GPP did due diligence out the wazoo aren't at all interested in acknowledging this? Well color me shocked!!

And all this according to media stories which are always 100% accurate. Smh.

I'm sure GPP surveyed this before they built it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    So now 9 pages in, can we stop for a second and recognize that it never mattered whether they built this in GPP or Detroit. I'm sure Detroit would have no problem with GPP trying new ideas out. If it was within Detroit City limits, I'm also sure Detroit would have been gracious and agreed to it -- for perhaps a 3 year period to see how it works out.

The only issue here is that certain malcontents are making this non-issue into a big issue so they can keep racial prejudice alive in order to validate their feelings of inferiority.

Well said Wesley...and quite frankly I'll bet you WILL see more foot traffic coming from the Detroit side into GPP now that there is something a little more fruitful [[no pun intended) than just another Liquor store selling forties [[the old Arts party store). That is of course if they make it thru the barbed wire, motion sensors, claymores and armed guards at check point Charlie....The race baiting singing "WSO" gets real tired.
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; July-29-14 at 03:43 AM.

[QUOTE=EASTSIDE CAT 67-83;445318]Well said Wesley...and quite frankly I'll bet you WILL see more foot traffic from the Detroit side into GPP now that there is something a little more fruitful than just another Liquor store [[the old Arts party store). That is of course if they make it thru the barbed wire, motion sensors, claymores and armed guards at check point Charlie....The race baiting singing "WSO" gets real tired.

Funniest post in a long time. Thanks eastsidecat, I very seldom get a belly laff.

Seeing that "live" in the video really highlights how cheap and tacky that really looks. I guess I've given the Pointes too much credit over the years. Can you image Birmingham approving such a ticky-tacky mess?

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast