Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Did anyone care to read the second #3 on the signed agreement? Or does Duggan and Detroit just get a free pass on that?

"we've filed 22 nuisance lawsuits against property owners [[quote from Craig fahle of land bank) is not the same as what #3 says above...

driving between jeff and Mack today, I could not count how many properties were 'abandoned...[[ front doors and windows wide open). There were about 7 homes within 70 yards of the shed.
    Last edited by Boy Named Sue; December-15-14 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    It isn't as if Mayor Mike is taking time off from being on his cherry picker where he's installing the lights himself to address this problem. As usual, Ghetto Pointe Park is trying to put a different spin on reality while attempting to pull a fast one on Mayor Mike. He's not the type of guy they can bamboozle. He's an attorney with friends in high places who will make them keep their agreement in both word and spirit. That's why he made it clear to Fox News he was tired of the 'lying' from GPP. He's a guy who chooses his words very carefully so he meant what he said. In case you never saw it, there was actually a document signed by Detroit and GPP on this issue in August. Here it is:
    Did you see all the simultaneous work being done on Alter? Neither did we. Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Named Sue View Post
    Did anyone care to read the second #3 on the signed agreement? Or does Duggan and Detroit just get a free pass on that?

"we've filed 22 nuisance lawsuits against property owners [[quote from Craig fahle of land bank) is not the same as what #3 says above...

driving between jeff and Mack today, I could not count how many properties were 'abandoned...[[ front doors and windows wide open). There were about 7 homes within 70 yards of the shed.
    Too busy removing lanes on Warren and painting bicycle lanes. On Sunday. No, they didn't fix the streetlights there either.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    As I've made so painstakingly clear on previous threads: Acknowledging the problem is part of the healing. Far too many folks over-cope, instead of incisively looking into the situation. To just say "C'mon were better than those times now that we have a Trojan-horse President just as conservative as the powers in office during the '80s" or to say "that was in the past" is a cop-out [[seems conservative folks were so willing to look into the past when it comes to digging up the validity of a candidate's citizenship or how they want to "take back America" for some convoluted perspective of Restorationism). Also, to say "C'mon let's heal" is a tin-halo shtick when the defendant [[or apologist) is pressed by the one's who call them out on an offense. Detroit has had it's fair share of issues that most born and raised would humbly admit is the case; however, the media and the suburbs have swarmed and picked at Detroit like red ants on a beetle lying on it's back for a continuous long time. I still recall well up into the late '90s, none of us would watch the news, as it would always be the same slam stories about Detroit or constant updated rehashes of the same 'Black-involved" crime cases within the city. Sometime in the 2000's the media started to include more suburban crimes [[which many suburbanites have always assured me were just as prevalent as the crimes in the city) occurrences, but it didn't take too long before they slipped back into their old ways....
    The suburbs were born out of racism-not folks looking to get some fresh, clean country air and wide open space. I've listed the many tactics used by suburban and corporate efforts, and it's the painstaking efforts of those who watch the devil in the details and record and keep this continuing problem from being scrubbed the way Germans remained ignorant during [[yes, I will say it) the Nazi regime. Not more than five years ago, when thoughts of opening a Walmarts in Livonia occurred, the initial consternation coming from the citizens in Livonia were clear and undeniable racist words. Of course, as more reports from the media came in, the racist part was scrubbed with people in townhalls blustering and huffing all around the elephant they knew they couldn't address in public. Well, they got a Walmarts now, and it's no where near as bad as the one on Ford Rd. and Southfield [[having been to close to two dozen of them in my travels, that does rank in the top two worst ones out there, along with Hartford, CT.).
    It's the efforts of those folks who focused [[with no genuine reward and incentive-despite the assumed "delegatory self-funding to fight a problem issue" which could be leveled at any government organization or charity or group fighting an illness or what have you.) their lives to speak out and keep us vigilant during a more activist time in the '70s that made things better. Is that something we should remove, and who are the mentalities who'd like to do exactly that? What do they have to gain? Why is it I see the exact same user names popping up, swarming in on these issues [[yes, why is it these particular issues-what is it about these topics that get you guys so noticeably prominent and pulling in in formation here?) and spewing out-of-context, spurious perspectives [[if not personal attacks or character assassinations) with little evidence to back things up. Not just as a historian, I have gathered news and experiences well even into the present time [[as folks will see with my exhaustive posts) that will provide proof that racism and an unjust system still very much exist. Yet, I see no one dares touch what deluges I set before everyone. Do I have to grab at a larger gestalt? Do I have to show examples from ALL over to draw towards the central point? Do I have to drag religion [[like the history of J. Frank Norris?) into it? I have nothing to gain but keeping an ugly, creeping, homogenous meatball at bay.
    G-DDT.... while well intended... you need to keep your sermons shorter... or you will lose people's attention. And also... on this forum you are indeed preaching to the choir....

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Gannon, iit is sad and pathetic!

Also Gannon you got a wonderful compliment from Canuck.[[Not on line).
    I agreed with Gannon that it was pathetic and sad that journalist/reporters dont do their homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    G-DDT.... while well intended... you need to keep your sermons shorter... or you will lose people's attention. And also... on this forum you are indeed preaching to the choir....
    Nothing against long posts but they should be paragraghed

As I've made so painstakingly clear on previous threads: Acknowledging the problem is part of the healing. ... The suburbs were born out of racism-not folks looking to get some fresh, clean country air and wide open space. ... when thoughts of opening a Walmarts in Livonia occurred, the initial consternation coming from the citizens in Livonia were clear and undeniable racist words. ... that will provide proof that racism and an unjust system still very much exist. Yet, I see no one dares touch what deluges I set before everyone. ...
    G-DDT: I read your entire deluge, and although I think you take it too far, agree with you in general.

There's no denying that racism played a central part in the growth of the suburbs around the USA [[although I don't think it was the only factor).

And certainly racism existed/exists in Livoniaites fear of I-96 and of Walmart.

But what of all this? So racism exists. Do we thus have to put aside all things in order to squash this above all else?

I for one am not scared of a dialog on race. Happy to discuss here. But mostly in the hope that we can put this info perspective.

It is not a denial of the existence of racism to say that its time to put accusations of racism to an end. Society has changed. Society has improved.

I say to you: acknowledge the improvement; stop seeing racism in everything, everywhere.

I say to the right: acknowledge that racism exists, and commit to extinguishing its remaining embers in the minds of old farts and the stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    GPP shouldn't celebrate Christmas because it might make Detroit residents focus on their pathetic plight? Maybe you could start a campaign to disassemble all the GPP homes of the 1% and give the wood to the poor in Detroit to warm themselves against the bitter cold?

I'll get right on it.

Here in Grosse Pointe we're happy to invite the remaining 26 [[or so) residents from the "W of Alter" Jeff-Chalm neighborhood over to enjoy the festive new entertainment district. Seriously, the offer........ still........ stands. Put down your pitchforks and torches. Enjoy what is happening with this area - together... with us. Come over. There are exciting new businesses and places to dine. Small businesses flank the banks of the rejuvenated Kercheval corridor. Don't expect Detroit or Duggan to one up us...... so might as well join us. Seriously. This area is for everybody. Walk on over. Today.

Well, they got that last barn moved, and put up a huge Christmas tree in its place.

With the other trees in those planter box barriers, it resembles an extended middle finger. Makes me wonder about the GPP city leaders.

And where are the road dudes going to put the SNOW this year?! [[let's see them get creative on their excuse for doing it before...)

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Well, they got that last barn moved, and put up a huge Christmas tree in its place.

With the other trees in those planter box barriers, it resembles an extended middle finger. Makes me wonder about the GPP city leaders.
    If its looks were intended, I think it's a totally proportional response to Duggan's belligerent rant. But I'm guessing GP leaders aren't that creative.

Do I have to drag religion [[like the history of J. Frank Norris?) into it?
    Please, start a thread on J. Frank Norris. I've long been fascinated with him. He had two congregations, right? One in Texas, another in Detroit, and commuted by plane. The godfather of modern Christian fundamentalism, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Please, start a thread on J. Frank Norris. I've long been fascinated with him. He had two congregations, right? One in Texas, another in Detroit, and commuted by plane. The godfather of modern Christian fundamentalism, right?
    Check out the Azusa Street Revival...

https://www.google.com/search?q=azuz...evival&spell=1

For the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Here in Grosse Pointe we're happy to invite the remaining 26 [[or so) residents from the "W of Alter" Jeff-Chalm neighborhood over to enjoy the festive new entertainment district. Seriously, the offer........ still........ stands. Put down your pitchforks and torches. Enjoy what is happening with this area - together... with us. Come over. There are exciting new businesses and places to dine. Small businesses flank the banks of the rejuvenated Kercheval corridor. Don't expect Detroit or Duggan to one up us...... so might as well join us. Seriously. This area is for everybody. Walk on over. Today.
    This is how to solve problems -- not by being insulted by everything your neighbor does or says.

The right response by Detroit would be "so great that you're fixing up the street. We're gonna match you on our side with a sister market!"

The right response by Detroit would be "so great that you're fixing up the street. We're gonna match you on our side with a sister market!"
    PLEASE - build it as soon as you can. Pass the hat in GPP and you will probably get the money to build it.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Seems to me when you characterize people as carrying a 'pitchfork' or a 'torch' you are implying they are either farm hands [[meaning slaves) or Neanderthals. This sounds like a backhanded invitation to your Detroit neighbors and a slam on Mayor Mike Duggan when you refer to him without his title. Are you trying to 'come down' to the black residents of the Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood?

Seems to me when you characterize people as carrying a 'pitchfork' or a 'torch' you are implying they are either farm hands [[meaning slaves) or Neanderthals. This sounds like a backhanded invitation to your Detroit neighbors and a slam on Mayor Mike Duggan when you refer to him without his title. Are you trying to 'come down' to the black residents of the Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood?
    I associate pitchforks with farmers, not farmhands. Think American Gothic. As to torches, it also seems like a farmers revolt.

I don't see the 'backhanded' part of the invitation. That many see 'backhanded' comments everywhere is a typical part of the problem between these neighbors. But insult is in the eye or mind of the insulted.

If someone says that they did not intend an insult, its best to let it go -- even if the offended party feels, well, offended.

True mediators would not be like Sharpton. They wouldn't be focusing on the history of insults. They'd be looking to a way forward. To how people of different opinions and backgrounds can find common ground.

Let's try to not see the worst in people, but seek out the best.

DetroitBoy Guest

I associate pitchforks with farmers, not farmhands. Think American Gothic. As to torches, it also seems like a farmers revolt.

I don't see the 'backhanded' part of the invitation. That many see 'backhanded' comments everywhere is a typical part of the problem between these neighbors. But insult is in the eye or mind of the insulted.

If someone says that they did not intend an insult, its best to let it go -- even if the offended party feels, well, offended.

True mediators would not be like Sharpton. They wouldn't be focusing on the history of insults. They'd be looking to a way forward. To how people of different opinions and backgrounds can find common ground.

Let's try to not see the worst in people, but seek out the best.
    That's fine. Ask yourself when was the last time you carried a pitchfork or a torch? Seems like a pretty ridiculous question considering you think of yourself as a civilized person, doesn't it?
    Perhaps now you can understand the impact of that type of a reference on someone who's life experience has resulted in them living in an impoverished neighborhood. A person's zip code doesn't make them any more or less civilized than anyone else. A sincere invitation would not have been embellished with this type of reference.

That's fine. Ask yourself when was the last time you carried a pitchfork or a torch? Seems like a pretty ridiculous question considering you think of yourself as a civilized person, doesn't it?
    Perhaps now you can understand the impact of that type of a reference on someone who's life experience has resulted in them living in an impoverished neighborhood. A person's zip code doesn't make them any more or less civilized than anyone else. A sincere invitation would not have been embellished with this type of reference.
    seems like a harmless analogy to me. I will choose to focus on the message, not imagined subtext.

This is how to solve problems -- not by being insulted by everything your neighbor does or says.

Well there is the Alter Mack open air or islandview village open air or maybe Eastern Market doesn't stand up. There is a Charming little market that sells nothing but puts produce out on a stand with a bucket and sign that that says take what you wan, give if you can. Not giving that location away or maybe the two farms on ashland or the grow for hire on Freud. Or the resurgence of bee keeping farms on the near Eastside.

seems like a harmless analogy to me. I will choose to focus on the message, not imagined subtext.
    Maybe, but I didn't like the reference especially used in reference to where I live. I might not like what Duggan had to say but addressing neighbors in Detroit that way is not right.

Well according to the article in this morning's Free Press, traffic will be restored, but to only 1 lane. To me, this is still an effort by GP to limit the amount of people coming though there.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...rder/20568763/

New plan = bad idea. Kercheval needs to be restored to its original configuration - 2 way traffic. GPP has closed most side street access into Detroit. Not commuter friendly and unacceptable. If GPP looking to retain and attract young professionals who work in the City of Detroit and live in the Pointes - this is a huge step backward. Watch out GP, new Live, Play, Work developments coming soon to downtown Detroit's Arena District. Good luck with your wall GPP.

Nice post, inviting Detroiters to "walk" in, was insulting. I was amused when a past poster said he was tired of GPP getting trashed. Wow, how do you think Detroiters feel.

GPP is a great community, lived there but the walls are amazing. From the river to Jefferson only Fairfax is still open to Alter. From Jeff to Mack if memory serves me right only Hampton and Charlevoix are open. Vernor only allows outbound.

Walls work two ways. Oh well, with the exception of a pharmacy that delivers to our home in the darkest of the D, I spend zero now in burbs.

Everyone should invest first in their community and that is what I do. Gpp is entitled to let their city managers establish policy. Nice place, nice community, nice schools. Surprise folks, where I live we have nice homes, nice community and a selection of excellent schools too. The huge challenge is to bring all of Detroit to the same quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aluminum View Post
    New plan = bad idea. Kercheval needs to be restored to its original configuration - 2 way traffic. GPP has closed most side street access into Detroit. Not commuter friendly and unacceptable.
    They have not closed "most" of the side streets. There is only one across Alter that is closed which continues through into the city from GPP. And that's the one we're talking about...Kercheval. Two more across Mack near busy streets to control the flow. Please try again.

I commute in and out of GPP every day. It is not so tough that even professionals couldn't figure it out.

And the arena district will attract a definitely different crowd...I'm sure the family-minded will remain in the ring suburbs for some time.

Cheers anyways!
    John

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast