Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

LP could not even get a coffee shop in it's area Mackinaw. Actually Lafayette Park doesn't is already set as far as residents and income are concern. The area just needed the type of businesses to compliment and support the area. Not your typical Metro Pcs, beauty supply store, and dollar store. Not saying that those things are not needed but the area needed a more community friendly and needed business that it once had

Did anyone here think that maybe, just maybe, the residents of LP LIKE the sparse, quiet, tree laden area they live in? Not everyone cares to live in a packed Frat house, next to Starbux and a rock and roll pizza bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Did anyone here think that maybe, just maybe, the residents of LP LIKE the sparse, quiet, tree laden area they live in? Not everyone cares to live in a packed Frat house, next to Starbux and a rock and roll pizza bar.
    I don't think anyone is trying to convert LP into Midtown, just somewhere you don't have to walk half a mile to get to anything but other residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Southen: I think it's pretty sad that LP residents-- it's a dense area with some money-- can't support one small retail area because it seemingly isn't nice enough. On the other hand, perhaps some new retail spaces, such as one for that coveted coffee shop that even the snootiest of residents couldn't deny, would do the trick.
    so what you are saying is that the residents, admittedly with some money, should frequent the metro pcs store, dollar store, and beauty supply place? its the fault of the residents for not spending their money in stores that have absolutely zero appeal to them? that makes complete sense.

the owner of the strip mall has taken the tenants he could get and they happen to cater to a different crowd. thats not the fault of the people who reside in the neighborhood. i see neighbors in lafayette foods all of the time. i guess thats the one place all the snooty people agreed was good enough to frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I don't think anyone is trying to convert LP into Midtown, just somewhere you don't have to walk half a mile to get to anything but other residents.
    If it doesn't suite one's lifestyle, which I understand, then look elsewhere. This is one of the most populated, viable neighborhoods in the City. Apparently all the residents currently living there seem to be happy with what they have.

This is one of the most populated, viable neighborhoods in the City.
    True.

Apparently all the residents currently living there seem to be happy with what they have.
    Non-sequitur.

Construction is set to begin this fall with an opening in 2015.

http://modeldmedia.com/devnews/DuCha...struction.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    This development will probably be an "affordable" housing project since the sight was once the sight of one-story senior citizen 'subsidized" housing. Very few of us on this forum will have an opportunity to live there because our incomes will be too high. That's unfortunate. Lafayette Park already has a large chunk of affordable/subsidized housing.

Something of note, I have noticed that many HUD developments lack a commercial or retail component. Woodbridge Estates was supposed to have one on the corner of MLK and the Lodge service drive. Nothing there but vacant land. The former Herman Gardens now called Gardenview Estates is supposed to have a retail component at the corner of Joy and the Southfield Freeway. That has yet to materialize as well. Also, when completed, Gardenview Estates is supposed to have this two to three block pond along the Southfield service drive. Wouldn't this be a great spot for a strip mall for the tenants of the complex? My point here is that HUD is willing to subsidize housing for low-income folks, but it doesn't offer them opportunities through owning businesses or managing the retail component so that they can better themselves financially. I guess that would mean that folks who did that would make too much money and would technically not qualify to live there anymore. However, I've always thought that public housing is supposed to be only a temporary situation, is it not?
    Never thought I'd highlight a previous quote from myself, but I have to eat crow here. The Model D article says that the apartments will be "market-rate." This is a pleasant surprise. Given the cost of rent, I might consider moving into one now.
    Last edited by royce; July-17-14 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Non-sequitur.
    Your reply is Non-sequitur.

A lot of folks complain about the design of developments like this, or the Woodward Garden apartments, etc. However, people complain about the boxy new buildings here in SF too. Such as "Ikon" in the Castro. The orange surrounded windows that stick out on this building might give it some interest [[or might seem terribly dated in a few years), but is this really that much better than what is going up in Detroit? Especially considering that the condos are going for over $1,000 per square foot, with 1 or 0 car parking?
    http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...es_pricing.php

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    A lot of folks complain about the design of developments like this, or the Woodward Garden apartments, etc. However, people complain about the boxy new buildings here in SF too. Such as "Ikon" in the Castro. The orange surrounded windows that stick out on this building might give it some interest [[or might seem terribly dated in a few years), but is this really that much better than what is going up in Detroit? Especially considering that the condos are going for over $1,000 per square foot, with 1 or 0 car parking?
    http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...es_pricing.php
    Looks like it'll give pigeons new spots to roost.

If it doesn't suite one's lifestyle, which I understand, then look elsewhere. This is one of the most populated, viable neighborhoods in the City. Apparently all the residents currently living there seem to be happy with what they have.
    Being happy doesn't necessarily mean it can't be better. I like it there because it is cheap, safe, quiet, and close to downtown. Doesn't mean I don't wish we had something nearby aside from a dollar store, grocer, and two restaurants that all close at 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Being happy doesn't necessarily mean it can't be better. I like it there because it is cheap, safe, quiet, and close to downtown. Doesn't mean I don't wish we had something nearby aside from a dollar store, grocer, and two restaurants that close at like 9.
    @ least the original Sala Thai stayed open until the wee hours, 11 p.m. Were you there when The Paris Cafe was accross the street? Mark had a hard time getting people in through the doors. It doesn't seem like the local residents are too adventurous. But I do know what you mean. You can only wash your floor mats so many times......

Honky Tonk the residents in Lafayette Park are a different breed than the ones who were living in the park when Paris Cafe was open. There are more Quicken Loans, Bedrock, Blue Crosd Blue Shield employees living in Lafayette Park who would support a coffe shop even late into the night. That element wasn't in Lafayette Park 10 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Honky Tonk the residents in Lafayette Park are a different breed than the ones who were living in the park when Paris Cafe was open. There are more Quicken Loans, Bedrock, Blue Crosd Blue Shield employees living in Lafayette Park who would support a coffe shop even late into the night. That element wasn't in Lafayette Park 10 years ago
    I guess things change. Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    That's an interesting point. I have no objective way to evaluate it, but I would suppose that it would likely apply to the future residents of this new *market rate* development.

Looks like a WW-II prison camp.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Looks like a WW-II prison camp.
    Tasteless comment.

HB

Interesting to see how they market themselves. Going hard for that YP crowd. It's a nice spot and a walk or bike to work for many. Will be nice to see buildings nestled up to the street in that part of the city; the greenness of Lafayette Park is wonderful but in particular places the streets are unsurveilled and basically unsettling after dark. This will help.

It's covered in a less rah-rah fashion with a concrete update in today's Crain's.

Pretty ambitious timeline, Q1 2016. Looking forward to seeing this go up.

6-9 months to have it move in ready? Damn, that'd be impressive if that comes to fruition.

Apartment finishes include hardwood flooring, upgraded tile, designer cabinetry with stainless steel appliances, in-unit washer/dryer and built-in dishwashers.
    Can someone explain to the uneducated what "upgraded tile" is? If this place doesn't exist yet what are they upgrading from?
    Last edited by SaintMe; April-02-15 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    Can someone explain to the uneducated what "upgraded tile" is? If this place doesn't exist yet what are they upgrading from?

They expect you to believe whatever tile they put in is a notch above what they had initially chosen.

It's a filler term. Much like infill. What the hell does infill mean anyway? Why would any building be considered infill? I often come across this expression now; Oh, it's going to be nice infill.

If I see the word infill written anywhere again, I'll get angry and who knows what I can do when I'm angry. Don't ever use that word around me.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    They expect you to believe whatever tile they put in is a notch above what they had initially chosen.

It's a filler term. Much like infill. What the hell does infill mean anyway? Why would any building be considered infill? I often come across this expression now; Oh, it's going to be nice infill.

If I see the word infill written anywhere again, I'll get angry and who knows what I can do when I'm angry. Don't ever use that word around me.
    noun
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]noun: infill; noun: infilling; noun: in-fill[/COLOR]

material that fills or is used to fill a space or hole.

• buildings constructed to occupy the space between existing ones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast