Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I believe it is worth mentioning here that in some sense the phoenix did rise from the ashes.
    Both Peter Stroh and my dad [[Morten Meilgaard) bemoaned the monoculture of tasteless, fizzy 'gnats piss' beer that was 99% of the market back then.
    Peter and my dad were ardent supporters of micro breweries in the US and put significant effort into helping them, becoming in essence the 'Johnny Appleseed's' of the fledgling micro brewing industry by distributing the wide variety of yeasts that were then unavailable.

[[My Dad formulated Stroh's premium "Signature Beer", created the 'flavor wheel' and his book, "Sensory Evaluation Techniques" in its fourth edition is still arguably the bible for any serious micro brewer.)

Name:  japan_001.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  30.7 KB
    Morten visiting Suntory Breweries, Japan.

Name:  flavorwheel.gif
Views: 498
Size:  39.9 KB
    The Flavor wheel

Also, Yeungling's comeback as a new regional brewer has been through the production of its lager [[reintroduced in 1987) and its purchase of the large Stroh's Tampa brewery [[where it kept many of the Stroh's employees).

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Was Pfieffer's [[Hey, Johnny Pfieffer) a local Detroit beer?
    Yes sir - brewed locally until the mid-60's......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Anyone here remember, or ever go to the Stroh House on Gratiot & 75? Used to be a great place for hosting work parties. Back in the day, it was $6 a head to get in. That included all varieties of Stroh beer you could drink, cold cuts, open face sandwiches, salads, and Stroh's ice cream for desert. Stroh was also instrumental in funding the Stroh River Place project.
    i sure do! went to several office parties there.

Quote Originally Posted by esteban View Post
    I believe it is worth mentioning here that in some sense the phoenix did rise from the ashes.
    Both Peter Stroh and my dad [[Morten Meilgaard) bemoaned the monoculture of tasteless, fizzy 'gnats piss' beer that was 99% of the market back then.
    Peter and my dad were ardent supporters of micro breweries in the US and put significant effort into helping them, becoming in essence the 'Johnny Appleseed's' of the fledgling micro brewing industry by distributing the wide variety of yeasts that were then unavailable.

[[My Dad formulated Stroh's premium "Signature Beer", created the 'flavor wheel' and his book, "Sensory Evaluation Techniques" in its fourth edition is still arguably the bible for any serious micro brewer.)

Name:  japan_001.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  30.7 KB
    Morten visiting Suntory Breweries, Japan.

Name:  flavorwheel.gif
Views: 498
Size:  39.9 KB
    The Flavor wheel
    Interesting contribution, don't mind telling US more stuff abouti Strohs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2