Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Very quiet in my area last night Sumas... just a few booms in the distance. I wonder how the Hamtramck works went?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Plenty of noise last night too. Mostly at a distance, Stopped around eleven. Fine with me. I am not cool with fireworks in the hands of amateurs but I don,t control the world. Que sera. Sparklers are about my speed but haven,t those in many years either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Detroit man killed when fireworks go very wrong:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...he-4th-of-july
    Nutty, eh???

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ... A few years back it seemed like it started before Memorial Day and went on to a few weeks after July 4th. This year it started only a few days before the 4th....
    I'm pretty sure they've been fine-tuning laws since it was relaxed. I took these notes on Shelby Township's current ordinance:

From C&G Shelby - Utica News, July 2, 2014:

Shelby Township Fireworks Ordinance:

Allowed the day before, the day of and the day after 10 national holidays:

New Year's Day [[except midnight-8AM and 1-8 AM?)
    Martin Luther King Jr Day,
    Washington's Birthday,
    Memorial Day,
    Independence Day,
    Labor Day,
    Columbus Day,
    Veterans Day,
    Thanksgiving Day,
    Christmas Day

Three categories:
    "low-impact" [[e.g., ground & sparklers) legal year round.
    "consumer" [[e.g., roman candles, exploding airborne fireworks)
    "illegal" [[e.g., mortars, M-80s) never allowed.

Low-impact allowed in parks.
    Consumer fireworks are legal only on private property.

Use with alcohol gets jail or fines.

See ShelbyTwp.org
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-06-14 at 08:31 AM.

Ok. So you decide you need 22" rims and fireworks, and so you let your water bill slide. Eventually it gets turned off. I end up buying the house. How does the water board know I'm not the one who stiffed them? I mean yeah there's a deed, but what if you sell me the house for a dollar, so the water get's turned back on? What if I tell them I'm leasing the house from you? I'm thinking of all kinds of scenarios to get around paying the water bill. In Detroit where some houses aren't worth much, I can see why the DWSD is in trouble.
    The scenarios you noted play out on a daily basis. It is common to inherit some shitbags water bill upon purchasing a house unless you're diligent. In which case, who paid the bill? Other taxpayers.

Probably going to see an increase this month in robberies and shooting two year olds in the face since all the idiot fuckheads blew all their 1st-o-the-month money on fireworks. Expect to see the same pyrotechnic enthusiasts at protests over having to pay their bills.

Very quiet in my area last night Sumas... just a few booms in the distance. I wonder how the Hamtramck works went?
    I heard the Grand Finale was spectacular. There was one huge display in the shape of a Kishka!

The noise at 2AM isn't fun or pretty anymore. I thought there was an 11 curfew for setting off fireworks in a residential neighborhood? I guess it's one of those ordinances that is never enforced.

Hey DUDE, Coming from someone in OC, that has no dog in the fight, DUDE, or refuses to even buy a dog, DUDE, I expect that response, DUDE.
    Mr. Honky Tonk
    I apologize if calling you a "dude" offended, their was no intention.
    "no dog in this fight" isn't clear to me would you be willing to elaborate?
    Sincerely, a dude from OC

Detroit man killed when fireworks go very wrong:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...he-4th-of-july
    This happened 2 doors down from a friend of mine. She said folks at this house were partying all day. When one of the fireworks looked like a dud & didn't blow off right away, the guy went back over it to check it. That's when it went off into his lung and burned right through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I'm pretty sure they've been fine-tuning laws since it was relaxed. I took these notes on Shelby Township's current ordinance:

New Year's Day [[except midnight-8AM and 1-8 AM?)
    Washington's Birthday,
    Memorial Day,
    Independence Day,
    Labor Day,
    Columbus Day,
    Veterans Day,
    Thanksgiving Day,
    Christmas Day

Three categories:
    "low-impact" [[e.g., ground & sparklers) legal year round.
    "consumer" [[e.g., roman candles, exploding airborne fireworks)
    "illegal" [[e.g., mortars, M-80s) never allowed.

Low-impact allowed in parks.
    Consumer fireworks are legal only on private property.

Use with alcohol gets jail or fines.

See ShelbyTwp.org
    Not just Shelby Twp. That's how the state law was amended a few months after the first year of previously illegal fireworks, mostly because so many people complained about all the noise. I remember Jim Fouts being one of the loudest complainers and leading this charge. We didn't have as much in my neighborhood as last year this weekend, but we've had a steady amount seemingly every weekend since Memorial Day. I live near Greenfield Village, though, and many folks come out around Oakwood, Rotunda, Mich Ave, & Sofld service drive to watch the show from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    ... When one of the fireworks looked like a dud & didn't blow off right away, the guy went back over it to check it. That's when it went off into his lung and burned right through it.
    Ouch. That's why you're supposed to douse duds with water. Better to waste it than to risk a life.

Ouch. That's why you're supposed to douse duds with water. Better to waste it than to risk a life.
    Well you know those were some strong fireworks. They weren't the bottle rockets my dad used to light when I was a kid. People are buying some high grade explosives like its Afghanistan or something.

They were strong fireworks that killed the man in Detroit. They came in a large cylinder and were called "Kiss of Death."

Washington's Birthday,
    Columbus Day,
    Veterans Day,
    This always struck me as the most bizarre part of the law. Looks like I can set off fireworks and make a whole lot of noise at 11:30 PM on the Tuesday after each of these holidays! YES!

I'm sure none of my neighbors would mind that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Not just Shelby Twp. That's how the state law was amended a few months after the first year of previously illegal fireworks, mostly because so many people complained about all the noise....
    I believe you're correct.

I discarded the hardcopy of that article but found it online here: Ordinance regulates consumer fireworks use
    Shelby Township passed its fireworks ordinance in August last year to be more in line with the Michigan Fireworks Safety Act, which went into effect Jan. 1, 2012.
    The part that confused me was this:
    The ordinance mandates that although consumer fireworks are legal on specific days, they may not be used during the hours of midnight-8 a.m., or 1-8 a.m. in the case of New Year’s Day.
    But now I think I understand. In general, they forbid consumer fireworks from midnight to 8 a.m. on any of the [[otherwise) legal days yet they made a special exception — just for New Years — to allow consumer fireworks for an extra hour after midnight.

Okay, I can see the logic in that.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-06-14 at 07:50 PM.

Better to have fireworks rather than gunshots.

Local weather guy injured by fireworks:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/dave-rexrot...-meteorologist

Quote Originally Posted by piczka View Post
    Better to have fireworks rather than gunshots.
    I hear you on that! As a kid we used to bang pots and pans at dark on July 4th and midnight on New Years Eve. Did that with our kids too until gunshots became common.

Our gardener [[my that sounds pompous) lives that way he said the Hamtramck festival was just fantastic. The gentleman I mentioned was a former employee many years ago, we reconnected when his Mom a car accident victim [[police chase with her as an innocent victim) and my husband were in ICU. He has been such a blessing. He spent 7 hours in my backyard and yes it needed his attention. 3 dogs do major damage.

Awesome! I as out of town during the Detroit big fireworks and heard there were no problems. Good to hear that Hammy had a grand time.

I wonder how many of those that shot off fireworks picked up after. Probably not many. While riding my bike I saw lots of spent bottle rockets, blown wrappers etc. laying around.

Were these fireworks just shot off in Detroit neighborhoods or do the suburbs report some of the same instances?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I wonder how many of those that shot off fireworks picked up after. Probably not many. While riding my bike I saw lots of spent bottle rockets, blown wrappers etc. laying around.
    Litter is something that drives me nuts. We as a community have tried so hard to educate our kids not to toss stuff. Some kids get it some don't. A neighbor had a block club party and kids just tossed plates etc on the ground. She was pissed and marched around and made the kids come back to clean up their messes. I have another neighbor who will chase people down to pick up what they tossed. Had some area kids visit and gave them snacks they just dropped the wrappers on my porch. I lectured them that they will not litter on my property especially when I have two small waste baskets on my porch. Got blank stares. The eldest of the trio did collect up and tossed stuff into a basket I keep on my porch. Sigh

I talked to a couple of people on two border burbs. In Dearborn I hear fireworks were up and very loud. Same in Redford.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Were these fireworks just shot off in Detroit neighborhoods or do the suburbs report some of the same instances?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-08-14 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    If you read the comments on that petition you will see complaints from all over metro Detroit and the rest of the state.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast