Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Aren't these artists part of the hip creative class Gilbert is hell-bent on subsidiz- I mean attracting?

He should give them an award for engaging their creative talents in Detroit instead of Brooklyn or Berlin...
    Swing and a miss...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Swing and a miss...
    ...swinging one's self out of the batters box...

Serves them right for coming into Detroit vandalising property. If they all are first time offenders, they'll get a slap on the wrist and life goes on, but I wonder what the sentence would be if they were black girls spray painting buildings in GP? Would it be the same? Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Serves them right for coming into Detroit vandalising property. If they all are first time offenders, they'll get a slap on the wrist and life goes on, but I wonder what the sentence would be if they were black girls spray painting buildings in GP? Would it be the same? Hmmm....
    There's nothing to wonder, the sentence would be much, much harsher. In addition, consider the response if the situation would be reversed:

1. GPP girls tagging Detroit [[And I have seen that Izzy tag around the city, this isn't her first time) and the response will be to give them another chance.
    2. Detroit girls tagging GP and people in GP would be calling for nothing short of capital punishment, walling off the city and that the problem is 'those people;'

Good for Dan Gilbert to have the resources to get the information out and to be able to id the vandals!

there was absolutely nothing redeeming or artistic about the vandalism these pawgs got up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Aren't these artists part of the hip creative class Gilbert is hell-bent on subsidiz- I mean attracting?

He should give them an award for engaging their creative talents in Detroit instead of Brooklyn or Berlin...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    What's the message here, though? Don't fuck with Dan Gilbert? Because that's kind of what it looks like. You can tag the homes of hardworking people in the city and get away clear, but if you tag a person with means and connections, you're going down?
    What's your problem? Seriously, I don't get it.

So a downtown businessman catches some folks that did vandalism downtown and you're pissed that he isn't out in the neighborhoods trying to catch other vandals?

The law is going to hit this people because THEY ARE ON VIDEO TAPE AND HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED.

Out in the neighborhoods there are not video cameras covering every square inch.

Some vandals got caught and are going to be punished, stop whining. This is why Detroit can't move forward, because some people will NEVER EVER be happy.
    Last edited by Scottathew; July-03-14 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Now THAT would be a great punishment.

It's not likely that these girls were only targeting Gilbert's buildings. It's great to see that Gilbert's increased security measures have resulted in a few of these asshats getting caught. If they're arrested for vandalizing these buildings they'll be less likely to vandalize other Detroit buildings where the owners may not have the means to go after them.

Interesting to see how these comments are going. In the past many folks who post here would have defended the taggers. It seems to have shifted towards my thinking. Zero tolerance! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Dan Gilbert would still be very rich and very successful if he never spent a penny in or on Detroit. I do think he will make money on his investments here. But I suspect he makes money on most of his investments, wherever he locates them. Does the man get lots of great press? Sure. But his work downtown has been truly transformative. His vision is: if you build it, they will come.
    His practice is, if I buy it, give me a tax abatement. Then, after the wealth is transferred from the poorest to my pockets, I'll handle the public realm too, unaccountably, with all that sweet money you essentially gave me.

Call it philanthropitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

So a downtown businessman catches some folks that did vandalism downtown and you're pissed that he isn't out in the neighborhoods trying to catch other vandals?

The law is going to hit this people because THEY ARE ON VIDEO TAPE AND HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED.

Out in the neighborhoods there are not video cameras covering every square inch.

Some vandals got caught and are going to be punished, stop whining. This is why Detroit can't move forward, because some people will NEVER EVER be happy.
    I'm perplexed as well. That rant was nonsensical.

And I know why you don't get it. Because the issues make you uncomfortable so you'd rather not examine them. And that, my friend, is why you will never, ever get it.

And I know why you don't get it. Because the issues make you uncomfortable so you'd rather not examine them. And that, my friend, is why you will never, ever get it.
    No, because your obvious dislike of Gilbert clearly blurs your viewpoint of this specific situation of a private citizen using his cameras on his private buildings to ask his employees to identify individuals who have vandalized his property. Go off on Gilbert being greedy or whatever you want, but realize it has jack squat to do with this story.

I would try to find them and bring them before a judge. Tagging a building is vandalism, period. I don't sympathize with proponents of dereliction.

No, because your obvious dislike of Gilbert clearly blurs your viewpoint of this specific situation of a private citizen using his cameras on his private buildings to ask his employees to identify individuals who have vandalized his property. Go off on Gilbert being greedy or whatever you want, but realize it has jack squat to do with this story.
    That's funny. When I raised my point initially with Briz, he seemed to understand exactly what I was saying. And I understood his point. So it seems to me the problem lies somewhere else.

I understand that you'd want to take a serious criticism of Gilbert's business practices and cast them in an emotional light, but that's not the case. I don't hate Gilbert. I may see his business practices as ultimately destructive to the city, but that's quite different from hating the man.

Speaking of people who are filled with hate to where it blinds them, have you checked a mirror or other reflective surface lately?

That's funny. When I raised my point initially with Briz, he seemed to understand exactly what I was saying. And I understood his point. So it seems to me the problem lies somewhere else.

I understand that you'd want to take a serious criticism of Gilbert's business practices and cast them in an emotional light, but that's not the case. I don't hate Gilbert. I may see his business practices as ultimately destructive to the city, but that's quite different from hating the man.

Speaking of people who are filled with hate to where it blinds them, have you checked a mirror or other reflective surface lately?
    Alright...what do I "hate"? Please explain.

It's obvious your dislike of Gilbert skews your viewpoint on this singular incident.

Aw don't be so harsh.... maybe Dan Gilbert could institute a "SnitchYES" policy... where he could give away gallons of splashy color paint as a way for witnesses of tagging in the city [[in the hood, away from his cameras) to report it... imagine 2 gallons of "Ghetto Green" for the right snitching tip! Otherwise I have nothing to add....
    Last edited by Gistok; July-03-14 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Aw don't be so harsh.... maybe Dan Gilbert could institute a "SnitchYES" policy... where he could give away gallons of splashy color paint as a way for witnesses of tagging in the city [[in the hood, away from his cameras) to report it... imagine 2 gallons of "Ghetto Green" for the right snitching tip! Otherwise I have nothing to add....
    Maybe one of these days I'll go into PR and pitch this to the G-man.

I did examine them, but you didn't quote or respond to most of my comment, you just cherry picked one sentence and then YOU proceeded not to examine the issue.

You're claiming that Dan Gilbert is getting special treatment because he's Dan Gilbert. I think he's getting special treatment because he has:

1) Pictures of the girls who did it
    2) Videos of them vandalizing the buildings
    3) Identified the people who did it

Out in the neighborhoods you have:

1) Generally pictures of criminals in the act
    2) Generally no video of a crime while it happens
    3) You may or may not know who did it, but even if you did you don't have evidence
    4) A no-snitch policy

So once again, you're upset the bad people were caught and are possibly going to be punished for vandalizing a building in Detroit.

DetroitNerd, I challenge you to cite a recent example where an ordinary person has come to the Detroit Police with such a wealth of evidence and didn't get a response.

I can cite two recent examples to the contrary where video evidence helped the DPD catch criminals; [[1) the Utash beating and [[2) the gay pride beating.

Also, the title of this thread is way off-base, as Gilbert did not offer cash or any kind of reward or bounty to anyone. What he offered was the opportunity to assist in the prosecution of vandals, and his employees seemed to be more than willing to do it for free because it was the right thing to do.

Thank goodness they were white suburban girls, because I think people would be even more upset if they were black kids from the city. Meanwhile, all the people that actually want Detroit to succeed are happy that those that vandalized a downtown building are going to meet justice.
    Last edited by Scottathew; July-03-14 at 05:17 PM.

Alright...what do I "hate"? Please explain.

It's obvious your dislike of Gilbert skews your viewpoint on this singular incident.
    Well! I guess you showed me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV3U...ature=kp#t=11s

Ya know 307 and gistok, I know it is easy and funny yo mock the fact that people in the city aren't always willing to snitch but you seem to overlook two important facts [[1) if you snitch, the cops may or may not take action and [[2) if they take action there very likely will be retribution and the cops likely won't respond to a call if you are in danger.

It is easy to sit up high and judge people but the reality people in the city face is much different and scary.

But feel free to sit in communities that have actual response time and judge others.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Ya know 307 and gistok, I know it is easy and funny yo mock the fact that people in the city aren't always willing to snitch but you seem to overlook two important facts [[1) if you snitch, the cops may or may not take action and [[2) if they take action there very likely will be retribution and the cops likely won't respond to a call if you are in danger.

It is easy to sit up high and judge people but the reality people in the city face is much different and scary.

But feel free to sit in communities that have actual response time and judge others.
    I didn't pass judgement, I stated a fact there is a no-snitch culture that will prevent crimes from being prosecuted.

So because there's a no-snitch mentality in the neighborhoods, does that mean we shouldn't prosecute crimes downtown?

That is what DNerd seems to be suggesting. He's upset that Gilbert got his crooks because he thinks that vandalism should be resolved in neighborhoods where people won't snitch and don't have video surveillance.

I didn't pass judgement, I stated a fact there is a no-snitch culture that will prevent crimes from being prosecuted.

So because there's a no-snitch mentality in the neighborhoods, does that mean we shouldn't prosecute crimes downtown?

That is what DNerd seems to be suggesting. He's upset that Gilbert got his crooks because he thinks that vandalism should be resolved in neighborhoods where people won't snitch and don't have video surveillance.
    I'm sure Joe Sixpack at 7 mile/Gratiot or Dexter/Davison wouldn't have a fear of snitching either if they had the wealth/power/connections Dan Gilbert has...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast