Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

I was always under the impression that SE Michigan was pretty well fixed for parks and recreation.

Between the Bloomer parks, the Dodge Brothers Parks, and the Metro parks, there is a lot of "green" on a map of SE Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Realistically, the number of $400k houses in Detroit is very small. Even the $100k number is high in most cases. So your argument is quite academic.
    I completely agree on that!

Why is the question. Of course property taxes are only part of the equation. I think the fundamentals are being missed here. Why have so many big beautiful homes in Detroit fallen into ruin? Why haven't more people grabbed them up a bargin prices and fixed them up? Because if you do the property taxes will eat you alive. 67.74 mills of tax is high, among the highest in the state period. Thats Non-homestead! Could there be a bigger deterrent to fixing up houses to excellent condition if after every permit you pull they are going to jump on you with a insanely high tax rate?
    https://treas-secure.state.mi.us/pte...TEstimator.asp

Do you see residential houses caving in on themselves in the land of prop 13? How about hundreds of thousands of empty lots? They practically never build new without tearing down first in some of the most dense single family home areas in the country. Show me pics from google earth of anywhere in the greater LA area where there are blocks of housing that where demolished and now stand vacant with crumbling sidewalks and driveways that were poured decades ago. In fact they complain that their problem is TO MUCH density. Why because land has value, houses have value, taxes are not going to over run you if property values increase. All I am saying is take one page from their book that has worked well and improve it then make it work for us like it did for them. There are other ways to raise tax revenue, let people be rewarded for fixing up there homes and neighborhood instead of taxing the living shit out of them for doing it.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; August-07-14 at 05:53 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5