Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The 'Big Painting' Exhibition in Industrial No Man's Land in Highland Park is Huge

Imagine this. A sculptor with means from New Zealand [Robert Onnes] is gobsmacked by how cheaply a factory is offered in HP and buys it...

...then connects with a well-known god-father of Detroit Cass Corridor art [Robert Sestok] and...

...the result is this major exhibition in a re-purposed abandoned factory in an industrial no-man’s land.

This is easily the biggest [in cultural significance and physical size] art event in recent Detroit history, certainly in this century, with a honor roll of important Detroit artists.

BTW the Facebook page for this event is here.

It is having a 3 day opening, last night was the first. There is gated/guarded parking and a small but very worthwhile $5 admission.

pretty amazing

Highland Park as the next artist's colony perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Highland Park as the next artist's colony perhaps?
    There is a degree of fore shadowing in what you write. With the gentrification of the former Cass Corridor arts bohemia and consequent rise in rents artists have moved on. I think Highland Park is a ways away from claiming that crown. But who knows. It has always been the home to many artists.

I had the pleasure of visiting 333 Midland a few weeks ago, while Bob and Jim were getting ready. It was a funny feeling, kind of like going in a time machine back to 2002 at Hastings Street Ballroom.

This is how it begins, doubters. Good luck, Highland Park.

GREAT SHOW Yesterday!I urge everybody to go experience it….the biggest event around here since KICK OUT THE JAMS!

That is incredibly cool. Nice work people! :-)

The Howling Diablos rocked it out in front of my Gary Grimshaw homage/remix painting tonight. The Spaceband, Dark Red and others play tomorrow. There's also an Airstream trailer dubbed The Pink Flamingo selling some really good grub on site. I've had 3 Vietnamese steak sandwiches and Mexican corn on the cob so far. And the mayor of Highland Park was there opening night. It's well worth the trip!

Looks pretty awesome. Could be cool if this was an annual thing.

This is GREAT! I highly recommended coming out. Good art, good music, good food, great people!

city needs legal walls. Used to have the market yard but now its a bike trail