Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Very nice article in the Detroit News about World Cup soccer. And yes it feels like "NFL playoff football." I thought of that as I have been watching these matches.

This is why I think Detroit 'needs to get with the program':

"More and more Americans are watching this World Cup — ESPN set a men’s soccer viewership record of 11.1 million during the 2-1 victory over Ghana. [[emphasis mine) Combine ESPN’s audience with Spanish-speaking Univision and the number grows to 15.9 million, not far from the 17.9 million that watched Game 5 of the NBA Finals. FIFA officials have said U.S. fans bought more tickets to the games than any country except host Brazil."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz35S07rGl1

MLB might be 'America's sport' but watching 162 games is like watching a 26.2 mile marathon, very, very long and drawn out, not much captivating drama.

I rarely watched a MLB game not involving the Tigers [[or perhaps the Nats).

That isn't true in the NFL where fans seemingly will watch any NFL game on Sundays, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night, Thanksgiving, etc.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-23-14 at 03:55 AM.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...record-on-ESPN

23M at the peak yesterday which is pretty remarkable. See this statement from Detnews:

"Sunday’s United States vs. Portugal World Cup match was the most-watched event ever on ESPN, excluding the NFL and college football."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz35UtIdUy7

The Detroit numbers were mediocre. That could be the ole chicken and egg debate:

Is it because Detroit doesn't have a MLS team or Detroit doesn't have a MLS team because no owners [[big bucks) though Detroit had the interest?

The big thing is that these games are being played in the same approximate time zone as Detroit.

Thursday's game is at noon.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-23-14 at 05:59 PM.

I hear there's going to be a huge screen setup in Cadillac Square tomorrow to view the game.

Today, July 5, 2015 at 7pmET on Fox the US Women's soccer team takes on previous world champion Japan for the Women's World Cup. Consider this dessert for the Holiday weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    I was at Thomas Maggee's last night, it was out-of-control. I'm a USMNT fan, but not like the contingent of American Outlaws there last night. They make for a fun/wild atmosphere. I'm not sure where else people are gathering, if at all, but there were a solid 250 there last night.
    A year later, we still enjoy the photos from Thomas Magee's that day!
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...TS07/306160118

Our boy Dan...front and center!!!

I haven't read a peep about soccer plans in Detroit since I saw an article in April about Duggan's brother...

Better get something going, building even a 5K stadium takes time [[probably more to acquire financing and the land than building it) and, of course, he doesn't have his USL franchise either...

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I haven't read a peep about soccer plans in Detroit since I saw an article in April about Duggan's brother...

Better get something going, building even a 5K stadium takes time [[probably more to acquire financing and the land than building it) and, of course, he doesn't have his USL franchise either...
    Don't worry. There is movement in the Detroit soccer scene, and it is not coming from a Duggan. Detroit City FC continues to sell out Cass Tech, attracting over 3,400 people to what is essentially an bunch of college players. Their owners run a professional organization, and are looking at moving to the NASL [[Tier 2) ina year or two. Word on the street involves them moving to Keyworth Stadium in Hamtramck, or maybe a new stadium on the Riverfront on city land. Plan is for a 9k stadium. If you have not been to game, you will get no better soccer atmosphere in North America, I promise you that.

www.detcityfc.com

https://vimeo.com/127846801
    Last edited by JDKeepsmiling; July-07-15 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    Don't worry. There is movement in the Detroit soccer scene, and it is not coming from a Duggan. Detroit City FC continues to sell out Cass Tech, attracting over 3,400 people to what is essentially an bunch of college players. Their owners run a professional organization, and are looking at moving to the NASL [[Tier 2) ina year or two. Word on the street involves them moving to Keyworth Stadium in Hamtramck, or maybe a new stadium on the Riverfront on city land. Plan is for a 9k stadium. If you have not been to game, you will get no better soccer atmosphere in North America, I promise you that.

www.detcityfc.com

https://vimeo.com/127846801
    My posting here on soccer is less as a fan but more from the point of view of development and growing soccer to major league sports status. [[There are enough soccer fans so that Tiger fans can watch the Tigers and soccer fans can watch their soccer team).

So to me it is the 'intersection' of sports and development and how a 'great' decision on a new stadium for a soccer team [[or teams) would be good for soccer [[and it fans) and the stadium would be integral to what Detroit is trying to do in terms of development in key area [[e.g., CBD, midtown, river front, etc.).

Any athletic facility [[e.g., baseball, football, soccer, or indoor sports) shouldn't be placed in some corn field or desolate area where folks drive and drive out ASAP. Think of the old Olympia where folks parked in fenced parking and got out ASAP). It should be surrounding by places to eat and drink, adequate parking or even public transportation [[e.g., M-1 rail, subways in other cities), etc.

That said, I wonder if Detroit FC [[if we are speaking only of them) could see that the stadium at Cass Tech be enlarged by rebuilding the west side stands [[which are 'visitor stands' seating only hundreds) and increasing capacity to say 4,500? Short term for a few years? 9K? That would indeed require a new site.

Quite frankly, I don't know what purpose there is to refurbishing an old stadium in Hamtramck.

Yes, the riverfront would be a nice, beautiful destination but would bars and eateries spring up for what would be what 25 home dates???
    Last edited by emu steve; July-07-15 at 08:34 AM.

BTW, my question [[and maybe I didn't need a long post):

If a new stadium is built along the river front, where [[I have no ideas)?

If a new stadium is built in midtown or CBD, where?

I would love to see a stadium at Cass between Temple and Ledyard. I believe there is one shuttered building and a Baptist center and a multi-family house there [[is it like a hostel????). It would cost some big bucks to acquire the entire block...

Folks could park at the parking garage to be built at Clifford/Henry. There is what the Stadium Bar [[I think that is the name) a few yards away.

Park/drink/parade to the stadium... Enjoy!! Isn't that what soccer is supposed to be?
    Last edited by emu steve; July-07-15 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    If you have not been to game, you will get no better soccer atmosphere in North America, I promise you that.
    Love the atmosphere at DCFC games, but let's not get carried away. The Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders and Sporting KC all have some of the best atmospheres in sports, let alone soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by AarunFast View Post
    Love the atmosphere at DCFC games, but let's not get carried away. The Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders and Sporting KC all have some of the best atmospheres in sports, let alone soccer.
    Not to mention Mexico. I've had season tickets for DCFC three years now and love it, but I'm pretty sure there are better atmospheres to be found at some Mexican stadiums, in addition to some of the MLS/NASL teams, or international competition.

So there's going to be another stadium in Detroit for what amounts to, if I'm understanding, 25 home games of a sport that the majority of American's only know exists outside of childhood when America can possibly win a world cup, or when someone condescendingly corrects us when we say "Football" instead of "American football."

Quote Originally Posted by jayz View Post
    So there's going to be another stadium in Detroit for what amounts to, if I'm understanding, 25 home games of a sport that the majority of American's only know exists outside of childhood when America can possibly win a world cup, or when someone condescendingly corrects us when we say "Football" instead of "American football."
    Maybe, but we are talking small bucks, less than 10M for a 9K seat stadium.

I'd have no problem if [[and this would be very difficult because it involves the DPS and the City) but acquire the properties behind the Cass Tech football stadium [[and home of DCFC) - west side and replace those smallish, land-locked stands, with say 3K new stands to bring the stadium up to say 6K capacity, which might be enough for anything less than top tier minor league soccer.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a stadium costing say 150 - 200M [[exclusive of land costs and infrastructure costs) like the proposed D.C. United stadium in S.W. D.C., near Nationals Park.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-09-15 at 11:16 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2