Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Hybrid View

My brother did some boxing and our father took him to the matches. But personally I have never been there.

Roller Derby was big at the Barn towards the end! Seemed pretty wild as a sports from what I saw on the telly a few times!

When Thomas "Hitman" Hearns came on the scene in the late 70's, most of his fights were there, and I attended a lot of them. The Olympia use to rock at his fights.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-10-18 at 12:06 PM.

Attended a Red Wings game at Olympia on New Year's eve and watched the game from my employer's private box seat.

Saw the Ice Capades there also. My employer [[see above) gave me 20 tickets to give to customers but I gave the tickets to my parents, brother, sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins.

Also saw a Blind Faith concert at Olympia but Blind Faith showed up so late I had to leave before the concert ended bc my date had to be home by 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Also saw a Blind Faith concert at Olympia but Blind Faith showed up so late I had to leave before the concert ended bc my date had to be home by 11:00.
    Could you find your way home?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Could you find your way home?
    Found my way home before 11:00

My only unique story to add was sitting in traffic, a hot summer night in 71 or 72. Car without A/C so windows down. I didn't attend whatever was going on, just trying to make my way down Grand River. A cab was trying to push his way through despite a DPD officer trying to stop him. At least a couple of times he said stop.

Well the cabbie came close to clipping him. Heard a loud "thump", saw a big flashlight being arced back upwards while he yelled "Next time I say stop d***** I mean stop!"

Nice direct hit onto the fender of that Checker cab...........

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4