Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I consulted the Michigan concert database site. They indicate that the "Four Together World Hunger Concert" was held at Olympia on 10/15/77. They list the final concert at Olympia as 10/24/79 when Jethro Tull performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beech Cricker View Post
    I consulted the Michigan concert database site. They indicate that the "Four Together World Hunger Concert" was held at Olympia on 10/15/77. They list the final concert at Olympia as 10/24/79 when Jethro Tull performed.
    Wow that is quite a resource!

My uncle was an usher at Olympia for a number of years. He had an odd shaped
    nose unlike anyone else's in the family; when I asked about it I was told he got it
    from breaking up a fight.
    One time he procured choice seats for my Dad and myself right behind the Michigan
    Tech hockey team bench. My Dad had attended Michigan Tech for a couple of years
    in the early fifties. Who they played that time, I don't remember.
    Another time all the aunties and cousins and children gathered together for a gala
    outing to see the Ice Capades. These were the ice dancers in sequined suits of
    their day. I think Peggy Fleming skated with them but I could be wrong again!

Thanks, Beech Cricker! That was the concert!

Wow, that is a pretty cool resource. And it links into a giant database of concerts at all kinds of venues everywhere. I just wasted an hour of my life confirming my memories of concerts past, and I'll probably spend a few hours more.

So, the Earth Wind and Fire concert I went to was not the last concert at Olympia after all. I must've gone back up to East Lansing by the time of the Tull concert, because I normally would have seen them too.

The arena was in pretty rough shape and clearly not being maintained much by that time.

Here's a setlist for the Four Together concert, if anyone is interested. Evidently there was a bootleg recording of it. I've heard a recording of Irish Lullaby, it was horrid

Name:  hunger-inlay-650.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  67.0 KB

I went to a Led Zeppelin concert at Olympia. I remember at one point Jimmy Page was playing an acoustic guitar and became angry at the crowd because we were making too much noise. I thought at the time you know, it's rock and roll and you're in Detroit. The chances that we're going to get all quiet and contemplative are at best, unlikely.