Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Poletown Area?

I remember quite a few businesses and still many Polish residents along Chene as late as 1980. The Ferry Market was still operating as well as some bakeries, a few bars, hardware store, etc. The Polish residents were largely elderly by then. The 'Poletown plant' finished the area off, dividing it from Hamtramck. After the land clearing of the Poletown neighborhood the Chene St. area more or less ceased to exist and was abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Well, there is this thread here that you've obviously not seen yet. It's was in the archives of the old forum, and can't seem to access it now, but Google's so kind as to have an archive of the discussion and pictures.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us

I'm sure you've seen the photos from the Library of Congress HABS program, havent you? All about the upper half of Poletown razed by GM.

Of course you know this building.

PM me here if you need more info or pictures.

Vox, I think this is what you're looking for:

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1235348633

It is hard to believe that such a vibrant area, a jewel to the city, could turn to nothing so fast.

My Uncle used to own a corner bar in Medbury St. Between E. Grand Blvd/ McDougall connector and Mt. Elliot St. in 1979 until late 1990s. The rest of Poletown is DEAD! due the dodge main plant plotted by Coleman Young and General Motors.

Browsing old phonebooks in the Burton Historical collection I noticed many Polish busniness and residence names on Chene south of Grand Blvd. up until late seventies which I wouldn't have thought would have been the case taking into account white flight before and after the 67 riots...

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Browsing old phonebooks in the Burton Historical collection I noticed many Polish busniness and residence names on Chene south of Grand Blvd. up until late seventies which I wouldn't have thought would have been the case taking into account white flight before and after the 67 riots...
    It was still hanging on, into the late 70's. Many younger Pole's who stayed were digging in for the long haul. Then when the northern part, above I-94 was razed for the GM Poletown Plant, the area rapidly declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    It was still hanging on, into the late 70's. Many younger Pole's who stayed were digging in for the long haul. Then when the northern part, above I-94 was razed for the GM Poletown Plant, the area rapidly declined.
    aha...great area to go for pics..and you know Detroitj72 there is some life left in Poletown at the blues spot on Chene that I always forget the name of...patrons, owners and staff tend to be very friendly and welcoming...one of the guys that worked the door and watched the cars whipped out a huge wad of bills and payed my way in the first time I went cause I got there hlf hr till close and just wanted check it out real quick....mature crowd...so even in all the blight there are glimmers of goodness and largesse..

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Interesting. Can you elaborate on why this happened? As in, what about the demolition of the northern part of Poletown caused the southern part to empty out? Why didn't those in the southern part who were "digging in for the long haul" continue to do so after the construction of the GM plant? Why didn't residents displaced from the northern part move to the southern part in any significant numbers?

Was the area bodered by any tough neighborhoods that were a 'dividing' line that wasnt crossed? Do any of you remember any residents or businesses where the expressway now lays? I remember riding down Chene in the mid nineties and seeing lots of Polish names on closed storefronts, I knew then it must have been a very vibrant area at one time...there is a huge former Cathollic church which sits next to one of those old time mini gas stations...if youre in the area check out the inside...its some sort of born again or baptist church now..

terryh

that large church would be St Stanislaus. [[ Go Broncos!) School closed in the early 70's the first wave of Archdiocese closings of churches and schools.

Not sure when Chene Ferry market closed but Saturday morning in that area during the 50-60's was a small Eastern market. Farm vendors, bakeries, yes lots of businesses. As the old folks passed on and the young folks moved to Sterling Heights the area declined. Polish Yacht club lives, but the area around it is deserted. Back in the day 2 family flats were 10 feet apart from Mt Elliot to St Aubin, I 94 to Gratiot.

I don't remember very many at all who were "digging in for the long haul" once the GM plant bought out everyone north of I-94: If anything, those that remained were sorry they were south of I-94 and could easily see the writing on the wall. The area was already in decline. Chene Street [[which turned into Jos Campau north of Grand Blvd, was a direct link into Hamtramck [[remember the Chene bus?) The Poletown plant simply isolated the polish area south of I-94 even more now. Yes, the riot in 1967 started the white flight and the poletown plant was the nail in the coffin, but there were other things at work as well. The housing stock was all wood-frame and crammed together, having been built quickly and cheaply to accommodate the growing number of relatively poor immigrants arriving in vast numbers at the beginning of the 1900's. These were not durable brick buildings and weren't built to last for years and years. Also, the bounds that held folks together as belonging to a "Polish" community [[or Irish or Italian or German for that matter)started to become less important as people became increasingly "Americanized". Moving to an area where there was a specifically 'Polish' church wasn't as important anymore. Although I moved into an apartment elsewhere in the city in 1979, my folks continued living there another 4 or 5 years. I drove by the old home in Dec 2008 and it had burned to the ground; it sat that way until May 2009 when the rubble was finally cleared away and now it's simply one more open field. Although we certainly weren't rich or even middle class, life was good growing up there: You make the best of what you have and the memories are strong and [[for the most part) very good. I think we were all lucky to share a part of Detroit's history.

Hey StStannies,

when did you graduate from Stannies.
    I am class of 67.
    took the Chene bus, to Holbrook to Seven mile, seven mile bus to Van Dyke
    for the last two years so I could finish at Stannies.

used to live at Piquette and Elmwood.
    the old neighborhood now a cadillac plant.
    Born at St Joe hospital, grade school at Immaculate, bowling at Chene Trombley, Saturday afternoon at Home theater.

I lived in the St Hyacinth neighborhood until 1978. Unfortunately like so many other families we were driven out by crime. Growing up in this area we had everything we needed within walking distance; corner stores, banks, hardware stores, bakeries, dry cleaners, churches, funeral homes, bars and a beautiful library. Every saturday I walked to the Chene Ferry Market with my grandparents and helped them with their shopping. My 1st Communion Party was held in the hall upstairs from the bakery on Chene and Palmer. My parents went to St Stannies and I went to St. Hyacinth, St Lad's and Wayne State. After moving out to the suburbs with my family I missed the old neighborhood and hated living in the burbs so I did the next best thing and moved to Hamtramck. After getting married we moved to the suburbs to raise our children but to me "Poletown" will always be home.

Hey-am I the only person on this board who still lives in Poletown?
    My brother owns Bargain Dollar Resale-which has existed since 1983, near 1-94 and Mt Elliot: doesn't someone notice that some Detroiters' still take care of their own little areas?
    It isn't perfect, but the 100 year old brick house is paid for, and I have lots of gardens.
    Hasn't anybody also on this board noticed the small blossoming of an arts colony around St Hyacinths-on Farnsworth-the Yes Farm?

Hi, MJ! You and your brother are to be commended for keeping your little piece of Poletown alive.

Slick, When you were graduating from Stannies I had just fiunished the seventh grade there. After 8th grade at Stannies I went to De La Salle for high school but we still lived in the old neighborhood. When I didn't get a ride in high school [[or had to stay for detention-ha) I'd take the bus as well Chene - Crosstown/Harper at Milwaukee - Gratiot bus. Sometimes I'd just take the Gratiot bus downtown after school and do lord-only-knows-what and then catch the Chene bus home. At the time, I never had any concerns for my safety nor did my parents. It seems impossible that the world could have changed so much in the 40 odd years since then....but it certainly has. Were your folks some of the lucky ones who got bought-out by the General Motors plant or did they leave before that? I grew up near the Chene-Ferry market area.

Just wanted to invite anyone on this site to my yahoo group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CheneToHamtramck/
    this group deals strickly to the area. Like this Detroit forum but very much more specific.
    Janek

Why do the people that grew up here not continue to come back to St. Hyacinth and the other churches in this area and in Hamtramck and keep this area alive? Is it that hard to do? We can drive all of the state but can not come back to this area and try to save the churches, Ivanhoes, Dan and V and the rest of Hamtramck. Do we surrender it to the blight and negative do not care attitudes?
    Janek od Detroit

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Janek od Detroit View Post
    Why do the people that grew up here not continue to come back to St. Hyacinth and the other churches in this area and in Hamtramck and keep this area alive? Is it that hard to do? We can drive all of the state but can not come back to this area and try to save the churches, Ivanhoes, Dan and V and the rest of Hamtramck. Do we surrender it to the blight and negative do not care attitudes?
    Janek od Detroit
    Lots do, but you have to realize that outside of a few establishments like you mentioned, there's really no good reason to go down there anymore. The time for activism has long passed, I believe. But one can still support them even if the neighborhood is shot to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Janek od Detroit View Post
    Janek od Detroit
    I've been attending mass at Sweetest Heart of Mary for the last few years. I attended the pierogi fest, went inside the church and have been going there ever since. I didn't grow up in that area though both my parents did in the surrounding Polish area. It's less than a 15 minute drive down I-75 and I can attend a stunningly beautiful church. You can't beat that.

Also lunch at PYC is on the schedule for tommorow.

Default Ferry Girl Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by FerryGirl View Post
    I am sooo excited to see this thread!!! I grew up on Medbury too! [[and before that we lived on Grandy!). I went to Ferry and St. Stanislaus. We moved in the late 60's. I am DESPERATE to find photos of this area from the 50's and 60's. I dunno what it is, but I have always been rather obsessed about my childhood home. I loved it so much. We were fairly poor and have no photos of the school/streets/general neighborhood. I live in Ann Arbor now and am definitely going to check out the Bentley Library.

I remember seeing "Flipper" at the Home theatre. And "Pinnochio" at the Fox. Ferry Elementary was fantastic. We had "Auditorium" class, speakers from the DIA came with paintings to discuss, we learned how to put on a radio show and make sound effects. I later learned it was quite a good 'Lab" school for innovative ideas in those days. I was rather traumatized by the switch to St Stannies, where we were in one room all day and frequently had to wear our coats indoors in the winter. And yes, those nuns were very very mean.

How about Ferry Market? Butzel Library [[it was so beautiful! Fireplaces in every room! Huge window seats looking out onto East Grand Blvd. Jo Gees [[spell?) and Werners on Chene St. Oh... anyone else wanna share stories?? And photos... any photos??

I still dream of my house [[ok,, a little upstairs flat) and the neighborhood all these years later. Guess that keeps it in my mind so much.

What happens to all the photos that the schools took? Would Ferry still have any photos of the teachers or children?? What about Stannies?

Thanks for any help or ideas,

I remember Medbury Street. Banaszynski's lived on Medbury just behind Milano Bakery that was on the coner of Dubois and the Ignaczak family lived on the SE corner of the same intersection. The Bork's lived between Chene and Dubois as did Sharon Adamski and her little brother, Eddie. This was very much part of my old stomping ground as a kid. There was another family right behind Ignaczak's that has a son and daughter and it seemed that they moved away in the late 60"s. I remember that sometimes when it rained the street right in front of the house would get flooded. I can picture the kids but can't remember their names? She might have been Tina, but I'm not sure. Chene Street back then had everything, all kinds od shops including hardware, bakery, flowers, furniture, dime stores, Candy stores and soda fountians, restaurants and bars, Zarembski Clothing and just about anything else you could want. Although there's virtually nothing left there now, the memories are all still there.

It's a shame to see that what used to be St. Stanislaus church is being/has been stripped of many items but it looks like the folks that did the "stripping" were carefully removing itmes that stil;l had some worth. Perhaps it's good to know that many of those beautiful items will live on elsewhere and be appreciated once again by a whole new audience.

Here is a website that has a lot about Poletown 1981 [[razed for GM plant) and also
    Poletown south of I-94. Check out the Urban Interiors chapter in the site bruceharkness.com
    Quite a bit in here about that northwest corner of the area where St. Stanislaus was. Does anyone
    know Edmund Thiede, long time resident on Dubois??
    Last edited by Eddieson; May-27-11 at 09:25 AM.

My Uncle [[ before he died) used to own a bar on Medbury St Between E. Grand Blvd/ McDougall St. and Mt. Elliot St. from 1978 to 1990s. Lot's of folks from the GM plant came to have happy hours. After the bar closed, the building was left to rot and its demolished.

I'm not familiar with the Poletown designation, but we lived on East Canfield in the late 50's & I attended Greusel Junior High. Like you, Thomcat52, we moved there from the south--North Carolina--& my Dad worked at the Chrysler plant. I can't believe we actually WALKED to the Fox Theatre on Woodward! When we first moved to the area, we lived in Utica, then moved to St. Clair Street in Detroit, & finally East Canfield near the corner of Moran. Many fond memories that also make me & my sisters have the same urge that you do to once again visit a place that reminds us of good times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2