Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Demographics. A big chuck of Detroit's median income level is around $20-$25K. If these outlet malls have high end brands, you're not going to see them in inner-city Detroit unless gentrification has already taken place.
    Actually they do not want to be in areas where they will compete with full priced goods either. Why buy it at Macy's for $75 when you can go to the outlet mall and pay less? Its the Walmarting of America!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    People aren't going shopping on their layovers, they're doing it after they land and before they take off
    In this new era of $25 for the first checked bag [[$35 for the second), jam-packed sardine-can 50-passenger regional jets, limited overhead storage space, and strict airport security...

...I can assure you that, sure as shit, people are NOT going on shopping binges prior to getting on an airplane. It just ain't gonna happen. Folks have been trying for years to use "the airport" as justification why development on this piece of property will succeed.

The truth is, these outlets exist in every ticky-tacky part of America. They're always sold as a way of generating "economic development". Because that's what makes the developer money in the short-term. You deal with the rotting husk of the building after it goes belly-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    This will never happen, so doesn't matter. File this along with "Aerotropolis"
    Aerotropolis is actually pretty successful [[although it just changed its name to "VantagePort"). It was never supposed to be a single large development. It's an economic development marketing program designed to attract industrial businesses to the area around the airport, and it's actually done a pretty good job [[although it could be argued that being near an airport, rail lines, and two interstates makes the area attractive to industry regardless of a marketing program).

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    In this new era of $25 for the first checked bag [[$35 for the second), jam-packed sardine-can 50-passenger regional jets, limited overhead storage space, and strict airport security...

...I can assure you that, sure as shit, people are NOT going on shopping binges prior to getting on an airplane. It just ain't gonna happen. Folks have been trying for years to use "the airport" as justification why development on this piece of property will succeed.

The truth is, these outlets exist in every ticky-tacky part of America. They're always sold as a way of generating "economic development". Because that's what makes the developer money in the short-term. You deal with the rotting husk of the building after it goes belly-up.
    People go shopping on vacation all the time. A shitty experience flying isn't going to do much to affect that. I don't think those things are really killing the retail industry on Fifth Ave or the Golden Mile. Whether they'd do it in Romulus, I don't know.

There are three quite successful outlet malls in Michigan already [[Tanger in Howell, Pr1me in Birch Run and Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills), what makes you think it would go "belly-up"?

Yes, people shop on vacation all the time...usually for goods they can't get back home. What makes you think this is going to be anything more than the usual crap that exists across the rest of the country? Is someone going to fly to DTW to shop at the Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet?

There are three quite successful outlet malls in Michigan already [[Tanger in Howell, Pr1me in Birch Run and Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills), what makes you think it would go "belly-up"?
    I think you answered your own question. Ever notice how existing shopping malls in Southeast Michigan go tits-up whenever a new shopping palace opens?

I mean, the developer can do whatever the zoning allows. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking this is going to become some kind of magical tourist draw.

Half of Birch Run is empty. The outlet malls at Monroe, Port Huron, Sandusky are nearly entirely Empty. There is one at the State line of Indiana and I-69 that is half empty as well. Great Lakes is a hybrid mall that has regular stores and entertainment as well. When it opened the nearby mall closed!

Malls are going bye bye and not coming back. Big Boxes and internet shopping are killing off stores. Look at places like Borders, Service Merchandise and soon Sears and Penny's. Toast.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-09-14 at 08:19 PM.

Simon Properties is one of the most successful mall operators in the world. Their "premium outlets" and "mills" type of mall has been quite successful over the years.

Here is their portfolio:
    http://business.simon.com/search/

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Simon Properties is one of the most successful mall operators in the world. Their "premium outlets" and "mills" type of mall has been quite successful over the years.

Here is their portfolio:
    http://business.simon.com/search/
    Simon already owns Birch Run...and Great Lakes Crossing is very similar to a "Mills" mall, but is/was never owned by Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Simon already owns Birch Run...and Great Lakes Crossing is very similar to a "Mills" mall, but is/was never owned by Simon.
    The original mall was proposed by the Mills chain and was to be known as Auburn Mills. It was not owned by Simon at the time but an East coast REIT [[Real Estate Investment Trust). It was abandoned during the 1990 recession and picked up again by Taubman.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The original mall was proposed by the Mills chain and was to be known as Auburn Mills. It was not owned by Simon at the time but an East coast REIT [[Real Estate Investment Trust). It was abandoned during the 1990 recession and picked up again by Taubman.
    Apparently, Simon bought the Mills chain.

Big boxes are going away too. When was the last time anyone built a new big box store that wasn't a glorified grocery store?

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Big boxes are going away too. When was the last time anyone built a new big box store that wasn't a glorified grocery store?
    Canton, Allen Park, Woodhaven and along Hall Road to name a few.

When were those built? This past year?

There's a big box retail center going up right by you. The old Wixom Ford plant site is becoming a quite large retail center. Menards is one of the anchors.

Nope. They were mostly all built during the 2000's [[decade).

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    There's a big box retail center going up right by you. The old Wixom Ford plant site is becoming a quite large retail center. Menards is one of the anchors.
    Well Menards sells food! Nothing I would eat, but they sell it. Want Jerkey by the 5 pound box? How about some pork rinds?

I'll give you Menards. Home improvement stores might be the exception to the big box trend. But nothing else retail-wise is going up at Wixom Road unless you count the RV center.

I can't believe it took this long to pull the plug. Poor idea from the start, now to be buried and forgotten...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...tlet-mall-plan

heh. an outlet mall should be built in Detroit proper somewhere.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3