Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Great thread. Had my first underage drink at Coral Gables in Taylor. I remember when Kraftwerk played Uncle Sam's. Awe-some!

I DJ'ed at a bunch of places in the 80's and still have the vinyl to prove it:
    Sabatini's on Plymouth, Gangster's on Telegraph and Joy [[till it burned down), Club Mayhem I think was on Grand River, Shot's on Southfield in Allen Park, the Bob-Lo boat in '84, Tangerine Room/River Place [[88-90), the Warehouse downtown, Ortheia's Place on 8 Mile, Van Dyke's Lounge, Club UBQ, Sud's Factory in Ypsi, and my favorite: Gibson's Lounge!

What was the name of the place that was on Telegraph in Dearborn [[Heights?) that was pretty awesome looking from the road? I never went in there but I remember driving by it a zillion times and it looking pretty spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Great thread. Had my first underage drink at Coral Gables in Taylor. I remember when Kraftwerk played Uncle Sam's. Awe-some!

I DJ'ed at a bunch of places in the 80's and still have the vinyl to prove it:
    Sabatini's on Plymouth, Gangster's on Telegraph and Joy [[till it burned down), Club Mayhem I think was on Grand River, Shot's on Southfield in Allen Park, the Bob-Lo boat in '84, Tangerine Room/River Place [[88-90), the Warehouse downtown, Ortheia's Place on 8 Mile, Van Dyke's Lounge, Club UBQ, Sud's Factory in Ypsi, and my favorite: Gibson's Lounge!

What was the name of the place that was on Telegraph in Dearborn [[Heights?) that was pretty awesome looking from the road? I never went in there but I remember driving by it a zillion times and it looking pretty spectacular.
    Actually Gangsters became the first Club Mayhem. It was located right next to Ashley's where Benny and the Jets were the house band for years. After it burned it moved to GR and US-24. After the fire, the old location's sign read "We are too hot for this location, go to Grand River"!

Desoto's.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Actually Gangsters became the first Club Mayhem. It was located right next to Ashley's where Benny and the Jets were the house band for years. After it burned it moved to GR and US-24. After the fire, the old location's sign read "We are too hot for this location, go to Grand River"!

Desoto's.
    Yes, I remember the fire well. A guy that I DJ'ed with back in the Gangsters days called me when he saw it on the news and we drove down there. I still have the pictures of the remnants. Then when Greg [[the guy who owned the place) moved to Grand River and I worked there for a while but it just wasn't my scene. Didn't he change the name to "Grand River Rock Cafe" or am I thinking of another place?

Thanks for the Desoto's flashback. Couldn't remember the name and never did make it in there.

Oh yea... Blondies on 8 mile.

Detroit cover bands I remember besides Bittersweet Alley are, The Look, Halloween, Adrenilin, Seduce, The Rockets, Wally Jackson [[Mustang Lounge, Inkster)

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Oh yea... Blondies on 8 mile.

Detroit cover bands I remember besides Bittersweet Alley are, The Look, Halloween, Adrenilin, Seduce, The Rockets, Wally Jackson [[Mustang Lounge, Inkster)
    cover bands? I seem to remember BSA, the Look, Adrenalin and the Rockets doing some covers, but a fair number of originals.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Great thread. Had my first underage drink at Coral Gables in Taylor. I remember when Kraftwerk played Uncle Sam's. Awe-some!.
    OMG, I was at that concert. Remember Florian handing his "pocket calculator" controller into the crowd.