Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

someone said it. Do the crime pay the fine. If you cant keep your drinks in plastic cups tucked out of sight idk what to tell ya. Starting to think this is about making some money. Police pull you over or come up when your slippin and they can steal a little from you. If you look like you can afford it why would they cut you a break.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Sometimes I do get conflicted, personally we always get great police response on the few occasions we needed them. EMS has been outstanding.

But also have huge issues with how sometimes laws [[and non Laws) get enforced. Riff-raf excluding thieves, car jackers and rapists are actually amusing. I have never ever had an issue on the island. I avoided the high school crazies at grad time but on occasion have driven through that nuttiness and never once felt intimidated.
    You must have been living out of town when a group of men were hassling a young woman and she jumped off the bridge to get away, sadly drowning. I will never forget that story among a few others just because it was so awful. I would guess it was 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    You must have been living out of town when a group of men were hassling a young woman and she jumped off the bridge to get away, sadly drowning. I will never forget that story among a few others just because it was so awful. I would guess it was 15 years ago.
    No dear I wasn't out of town or out to "lunch". Our news media aren't good at telling the whole story either. Crap, they keep bringing in pretty faces from out of town to report news and have no clue if they are in southwest or north west communities.

No dear I wasn't out of town or out to "lunch". Our news media aren't good at telling the whole story either. Crap, they keep bringing in pretty faces from out of town to report news and have no clue if they are in southwest or north west communities.
    Well please, tell us the whole story. I'd like to hear what REALLY happened. I never did think Dwayne X Riley was much of a cutie.

Please do not be snide. Every prison in the state gives parolees a one way ticket to a Detroit Half-way. We inherit state shit. Prisons do nothing regarding rehab. We get dumped on. Big time!

My point regarding Belle Isle is, it is fine to get rid of obnoxious behavior and leave the rest of us us in quiet peace. Leave the hippy beach alone, passive and charming, easy targets too.

Hah! Have you ever heard the kind of eh' crumped-up music that disruptive folks let loose when left to themselves? It's not usually Pharrell's 'Happy' song!

That's why some city ordinances don't allow ultra loud music banging and booming from your car, or in their parks.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    ....If you're scared of a little loud music and people drinking, maybe you need to loosen up...

Please do not be snide. Every prison in the state gives parolees a one way ticket to a Detroit Half-way. We inherit state shit. Prisons do nothing regarding rehab. We get dumped on. Big time!

My point regarding Belle Isle is, it is fine to get rid of obnoxious behavior and leave the rest of us us in quiet peace. Leave the hippy beach alone, passive and charming, easy targets too.

I'm not snide, I'm "shirty". I'd still like a reply to my question about what REALLY happened the night the woman jumped off of the McArthur Bridge? Dwayne X Riley reported she had dinged a guy's custom car, he came out of his car with a baseball bat, he was twice her size and intimidated her into stripping butt naked in front of some 200 people, no one intervened, out of embarrasement, she jumped off of the McArthur Bridge and drowned. You replied "Our news media aren't good at telling the whole story either" insinuating there is another side to this. Please, I'm sure we'd all like to hear the inside scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm not snide, I'm "shirty". I'd still like a reply to my question about what REALLY happened the night the woman jumped off of the McArthur Bridge? Dwayne X Riley reported she had dinged a guy's custom car, he came out of his car with a baseball bat, he was twice her size and intimidated her into stripping butt naked in front of some 200 people, no one intervened, out of embarrasement, she jumped off of the McArthur Bridge and drowned. You replied "Our news media aren't good at telling the whole story either" insinuating there is another side to this. Please, I'm sure we'd all like to hear the inside scoop.
    I love that word "shirty".

You succinctly told a tragedy in a few short impersonal sentences. You obviously know the "inside " scoop. The rest of the story might be why 200 witnesses did nothing? Did the perps get arrested? I am not at all a brave person but I would have done something. Out of 200 something "embarrassed" people NO ONE did a damn thing? Yes there is a story there that certainly got no follow up. Please do update us on this tragic event.
    Last edited by sumas; May-28-14 at 11:58 PM. Reason: redundency

Just being "shirty", about that same time we hosted a family from Germany, went to the Yacht Club for dinner on his company's dime. Drove through the high school graduation parties and pretty sure they were scared. We were offered no violence.

The amusing part of this story is the couple had a one month old baby, Mom breast feed in their major dining room. Very discreet, we were asked to leave by management, they were offended. My husband polled all other diners and no one had objections, we finished our dinner and never ever went back.

Damn straight, I am shirty. I don't tolerate bull shit.

Please, I'm sure we'd all like to hear the inside scoop.

My Livonia Friend is the one who found her downriver the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I've been to the big parks in NYC and people openly do things there that would have Metro Detroit suburbanites in a major tizzy if it happened in their neighborhoods. New Yorkers, by necessity, accept diversity in a way that makes "safe and clean" mean something way different than it does in Detroit.
    I've also seen the park cops bust people for those behaviors

Nain thinks the rules are too strict here and looser in NYC - let's see by reviewing the list of potential violation in Central park and the size of the fines and determine whether NYC means business or not:
    ECB Code Section/Rule Description Penalty
    [[$)
    [[$)
    AA01 56 RCNY1-03[[a)[[3) Unauthorized presence in park when closed to public 50 200
    AA02 56 RCNY1-03[[b)[[6) Faliure to have/display/ comply with required permit 50 200
    AA03 56 RCNY1-03[[c)[[1), 3-19 Failure to comply wth directives of officer/park employee 250 1,000
    AA04 56 RCNY1-03[[c)[[2) Failure to comply with directions/prohibitions on signs 50 200
    AA05 56 RCNY1-04[[a) Injury/defacement/abuse of Department's property or equipment 500 2,000
    AA06 56-RCNY1-04[[b)[[1)[[i) Intentional destruction/removal/permanent damage to tree 1,000 4,000
    AA07 56-RCNY1[[04)[[b)[[1)[[ii) Destruction/defacement/abuse of park vegetation 250 1,000
    AA08 56 RCNY1-04[[b)[[2) Walking/permitting animal/child to walk on newly seeded grass 50 200
    AA09 56 RCNY1-04[[b)[[3) Unauthorized entry/allowing entry into fenced/restricted area 50 200
    AA10 56 RCNY1-04[[b)[[4) Unauthorized possession of gardening tool/plant 50 200
    AA11 56 RCNY1-04[[c)[[1), 3-08[[e) Littering or unlawful use of park waste receptacle. 100 300
    AA12 56 RCNY1-04[[c)[[2) Polluting waters within park 250 1,000
    AA13 56 RCNY1-04[[c)[[3) Unlawful dumping 1,000 4,000
    AA14 56 RCNY1-04[[c)[[4) Storing/leaving unattended personal belongings 50 200
    AA15 56 RCNY1-04[[d) Possession of glass container in restricted area 50 200
    AA16 56 RCNY1-04[[g)[[1) Molest/kill/remove/possess animal/nest/egg, etc. 1,000 4,000
    AA17 56 RCNY1-04[[g)[[2) Unlawful feeding of animals 50 200
    AA18 56 RCNY1-04[[i), 3-18[[d) Unleashed or uncontrolled animals in park 100 200
    AA19 56 RCNY1-04[[j)[[1), 3-18[[b) Failure to remove canine waste 250 250
    AA21 56 RCNY1-04[[k) Unlawful urination/defecation in park 50 300
    AA22 56 RCNY1-04[[l)[[1-3) Unlawful entry to or climbing on park property 50 200
    AA23 56 RCNY1-04[[o) Obstruction of benches, sitting areas 50 200
    AA24 56 RCNY1-04[[p) Unauthorized camping 250 1,000
    AA25 56 RCNY1-04[[q) Spitting on park building/monument/structure 100 200
    AA26 56 RCNY1-04[[r) Unlawful use of fountain/pool/water/for personal/animal hygiene 50 200
    AA27 56 RCNY1-o5[[a)[[1,3) Unauthorized assembly/exhibition/parade, etc. without permit 250 1,000
    AA28 56 RCNY1-05[[b) Unauthorized vending 250 1,000
    AA29 56 RCNY1-05[[c) Unauthorized posting/display of notices/signs/banners, etc. 50 200
    AA30 56 RCNY1-05[[d)[[1) Unreasonable noise 350 875
    AA31 56 RCNY1-05[[d)[[2) Operating speaker device/sound amplifier without required permit 140 350
    AA32 56 RCNY1-05[[d)[[3) Playing instrument/radio, etc. during unauthorized hours 140 350
    AA34 56 RCNY1-05[[e) Commercial cinematic production without a permit 250 1,000
    AA35 56 RCNY1-05[[f) Unauthorized consumption/possession of alcoholic beverage 25 100
    AA36 56 RCNY1-05[[g) Failure to comply with bathing restrictions 50 200
    AA37 56 RCNY1-05[[h) Failure to comply with fishing restrictions 50 200
    AA38 56 RCNY1-05[[i) Failure to comply with bicycle riding restrictions 50 200
    AA39 56 RCNY1-05[[j) Failure to comply with boating restrictions 50 200
    AA40 56 RCNY1-05[[k) Failure to comply with ice skating restrictions 50 200
    AA41 56 RCNY1-05[[l) Planting tree/flower/shrubbery/other vegetation without permit 50 200
    AA42 56 RCNY1-05[[m)[[1) Failure to comply with restriction re: fires 50 200
    AA43 56 RCNY1-05[[m)[[2) Unlawful disposal of flammable materials 50 200
    AA44 56 RCNY1-05[[o) Unauthorized construction/storage of materials 1,000 4,000
    AA45 56 RCNY1-05[[p) Unauthorized excavation 1,000 4,000
    AA47 56 RCNY1-05[[r) Failure to comply with area use restrictions 50 200
    AA48 56 RCMY1-05[[t) Unauthorized distribution or demonstration of products 100 400
    AA49 56 RCNY1-05[[u) Failure to comply with rollerblading/skating restrictions 50 100
    AA50 56 RCNY3-05, 4-03 Interference with emergency vessel boarding 100 400
    AA51 56 RCNY3-06[[a), 3-17, 4-04[[a) Failure to have/display/comply with required permit 50 200
    AA52 56 RCNY3-08[[a), 4-06[[a) Use of unauthorized toilets on vessel 250 1,000
    AA53 56 RCNY3-08[[b), 4-06[[b) Illegal discharge onto docks/waters/walkways, etc. 250 1,000
    AA54 56 RCNY3-08[[d), 4-06[[d) Unreasonable noise 350 875
    AA62 56 RCNY3-16[[b) Unauthorized launch or storage of kayak or canoe 50 200
    AA64 56 RCNY1-04[[i); 3-18[[d) Unleashed or uncontrolled animal in Park - 2nd offense 200 400
    AA65 56 RCNY1-04[[i), 3-18[[d) Unleashed or uncontrolled animal in Park - 3rd offense 400 800
    AA66 56 RCNY1-04[[i), 3-18[[d) Unleashed or uncontrolled animal in Park - 4th offense 700 1,400
    AA67 56 RCNY1-04[[b) 3-18[[d) Unleashed or uncontrolled animal in Park - 5th offense 1,000 2,000
    AA68 56 RCNY1-04[[b)[[1)[[i) Destruction of tree branch/pruning without permit/minor tree abuse 100 400
    AA69 56 RCNY1-04[[b)[[1)[[i) Major damage to/accidental destruction of a tree 500 2,000
    AA70 56 RCNY1-04[[b)[[5) Unauthorized possession of a metal detector 50 200
    AA75 AC 17-503[[d)[[3) Smoking in a Park or other property under the jurisdiction of Parks 50 50

You succinctly told a tragedy in a few short impersonal sentences. You obviously know the "inside " scoop. The rest of the story might be why 200 witnesses did nothing? Did the perps get arrested? I am not at all a brave person but I would have done something. Out of 200 something "embarrassed" people NO ONE did a damn thing? Yes there is a story there that certainly got no follow up. Please do update us on this tragic event.
    It could have been an example of the 'bystander effect'--people react slower or not at all to others in distress in the presence of crowds. The reaction [[or lack thereof) is compounded as the crowds get larger.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    It could have been an example of the 'bystander effect'--people react slower or not at all to others in distress in the presence of crowds. The reaction [[or lack thereof) is compounded as the crowds get larger.
    Its a pretty natural reaction. As a group gets larger, the potential cost of intervention increases. A big crowd. And you go in with imperfect information about a situation. You think you will help, but you might just make the 'fight' bigger. And you don't know till its too late what was about to happen.

For each 'tragic incident', there are thousands of similar incidents that defuse naturally without death. Its easy to look back and say 'someone should have done something' -- but if they had they might have just got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    My Livonia Friend is the one who found her downriver the next morning.
    And your point being, what, about an "inside scoop", John?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-29-14 at 01:04 PM.

Nice try @ a grade school level attempt of trying to turn my post around. YOU are the one who posted the whole story wasn't told, "Our news media aren't good at telling the whole story either". Re-read my post, I said nothing about "200 something embarrassed people", I said she was "intimidated her into stripping butt naked in front of some 200 people".

You see it now folks. A police state is coming to America. And it starts will Belle Isle!

Nice try @ a grade school level attempt of trying to turn my post around. YOU are the one who posted the whole story wasn't told, "Our news media aren't good at telling the whole story either". Re-read my post, I said nothing about "200 something embarrassed people", I said she was "intimidated her into stripping butt naked in front of some 200 people".
    Please do tell, and no.... the whole story was not told or reported. Hey, what grade level do you function at. You claim to be devastated at a 15 yr old story. Where were you when I was abducted and raped repeatedly by multiple perps. Where is that indignation, I got past that as best I could. How about my 87 yr old neighbor who was home invaded and pistol whipped for filthy lucre. How about a neighborhood child that got raped behind a local gas station that is known to sell drugs. I have plenty of indignation and am known for doing and improving my neighborhood.

Hey, you are all that.

Try Sending money to help feed kids whose parents sell food stamps for cash. We feed these kids real food. As a neighborhood, we try to teach life skills. My money is spent in my neighborhood. Problems exist in abundance and many joys and blessings too. So dwell on the past, do nothing to promote a betterment of society. Just post bitter posts against wrongs that that can't be righted.

Like I have said before, I pit my MBA against anyone's GED.

Oh screw it. Arm chair critics have fat buts and blubber on the brain. Pitch in, do something to change Detroit dynamics. If it suits you to insult me, so be it!

And your point being, what, about an "inside scoop", John?
    I thought it was plainly stated. Why would you seek additional details regarding this poor woman? My friend is able to tell everything, from his initial impression of what he rode over on his jetski to the texture of her hair...his horror when he finally came around within his range of eyesight again...the way the watercritters treated her fingers and toes. I'm sure he'll tell you all the gory details you require to fully feel scooped.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I thought it was plainly stated. Why would you seek additional details regarding this poor woman? My friend is able to tell everything, from his initial impression of what he rode over on his jetski to the texture of her hair...his horror when he finally came around within his range of eyesight again...the way the watercritters treated her fingers and toes. I'm sure he'll tell you all the gory details you require to fully feel scooped.
    You seem a little slow catching on, John. Let me ask you why you and sumas post things like "Our news media aren't good at telling the whole story either", Then turn right around and try blaming someone who wants to know what it is they're talking about?

I was recently at the Grosse Pointe Woods park, casually sitting with my family on a picnic table, enjoying my 40oz Miller Lite.... I was harassed by the park guard telling me that alcohol is not allowed in the park.... granted, this wasn't the state police, but only an old man in a pick up truck..... but it's not just a Belle Ille thing....... the man is keeping us partiers down everywhere.....

Out of all Detroit's problems, overly aggressive policing ain't one.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I was recently at the Grosse Pointe Woods park, casually sitting with my family on a picnic table, enjoying my 40oz Miller Lite.... I was harassed by the park guard telling me that alcohol is not allowed in the park.... granted, this wasn't the state police, but only an old man in a pick up truck..... but it's not just a Belle Ille thing....... the man is keeping us partiers down everywhere.....
    Ummm, 12oz cans with the little foam insulators. No one knows if you have a coke or a beer. Like I used to tell my soldiers when I was a company commander, "I am not trying to catch you, but don't be so obvious I have to take action."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    You see it now folks. A police state is coming to America. And it starts will Belle Isle!
    First they came for the deer, and I did not speak out, for I am not a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Ummm, 12oz cans with the little foam insulators. No one knows if you have a coke or a beer. Like I used to tell my soldiers when I was a company commander, "I am not trying to catch you, but don't be so obvious I have to take action."
    you are correct sir.... perfect quote

like I tell my kids when they ask if they can stay up late: "be quite, don't cause any problems, and I won't even know you are still up".....

keep it on the down low and no one gets hurt.....

[[I was at Belle Ile on Saturday before memorial day, had a beer in my bike water bottle carrier and enjoyed a few on the beach, no problems, those darn 16oz cand dont fit so well into the coozies).Name:  beerile.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  39.6 KB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast