Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

DetroitDad Guest

I agree, check out Royal Oak or Ferndale. Plymouth, Farmington, parts of Livonia, and the Grosse Pointe areas are also nice. I would stick with the suburbs if you are looking for a more suburban type setting.

If you live in the suburbs than you are going to have to deal with lots of driving and traffic, depending on the suburb. The transit outside of the greater Downtown Detroit area is pretty bad, and in some suburbs it is completely absent. However, in the greater Downtown Detroit area you would have to deal with blight and property crime issues if you live in Downtown Detroit outside of the Central Business District.

Taxes and insurance will vary from community to community, but the actual city is generally higher on one if not both. There are nice community colleges and universities in both city and suburbs, as well as nearby Ann Arbor.

not so keen on living downtown anymore, Sean?

I agree with Detroit Dad, If I were looking for something like Micky Mac is. Well the RO/Ferndale deal might be the ticket. Because I do not go out on the town much anymore I myself am not a good source of info on that end. Good luck in your search. And I would say Wayne yet the whole Westside seems like a void still. BUT maybe if your into COUNTRY/WESTERN then ya got Club Canton and the Diamondback