Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

And more from Curbed from another part of Capitol Park. But can't they please ditch that atrium?

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ake-a-tour.php

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    And more from Curbed from another part of Capitol Park. But can't they please ditch that atrium?

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ake-a-tour.php

I see that building every day. It is not that bad of an addition.

ive toured the building and they cant ditch the atrium. the atrium itself is more of a light court. in order to bring the building up to code a stairwell was placed in the front of the "atrium" space taking the building from a U shape like the dime building to an O shape. it would be much more dynamic if it were opened up completely, but that isnt going to happen. considering what they had to do, the "atrium" was well done and really masks the unfortunate work that had to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    ive toured the building and they cant ditch the atrium. the atrium itself is more of a light court. in order to bring the building up to code a stairwell was placed in the front of the "atrium" space taking the building from a U shape like the dime building to an O shape. it would be much more dynamic if it were opened up completely, but that isnt going to happen. considering what they had to do, the "atrium" was well done and really masks the unfortunate work that had to be done.
    Thanks for the explanation southen!! I think that that 4th blank atrium wall screams for a trompe l'oeil painting!

Capitol Square Building [[The Bamlet?) looking pretty snazzy, at least on the ground floor.

https://www.facebook.com/TheDailyDet...9346790249297/
    Last edited by animatedmartian; September-15-14 at 06:23 PM.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...shed/23231223/

This article states that the old strip club will be demolished for a new building; does anyone have any information on this new building? Residential by Gilbert?? A parking garage?

You all mean Gilbert Park! gentrification. It's doing great. Filling those buildlings up with Dan Gilbert's family.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    You all mean Gilbert Park! gentrification. It's doing great. Filling those buildlings up with Dan Gilbert's family.
    Do you know the definition of gentrification? How is this gentrification if nobody is being pushed out of this plot? Would you rather keep this surface lot with a burned out strip club? The more development the better!!

Wonderful news, good riddance to bad rubbish.

That's fantastic, although I wonder why it took a year to get it torn down finally.

It was an elegant little building, too bad it couldn't be saved and built around.

So what's this new building going to be?

I saw drawings for this project...it will be something that this region/city doesn't have...pretty interesting.

And you didn't snap a shot on your smart phone for us?!?

Haha...and with this you have me gripped.

"I saw drawings for this project...it will be something that this region/city doesn't have...pretty interesting."

Do you mean the type of building, it's purpose, or it's tenant?
    Last edited by ParisianLesion; February-11-15 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Forgot the quote

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    I saw drawings for this project...it will be something that this region/city doesn't have...pretty interesting.
    Question, does this inovle the lot to the north and the one to the south? With this building gone, this will be a totally vacant block from Clifford to Grand River. It's an awkwardly shaped lot, so it'll be interesting to see how they work it. I imagine they wouldn't be demolishing this tiny building just to use that particular site, so I imagine this will be quite a significant development. It'd make since for this to be at least as tall as the back of the buildings which front Woodward.

OMG a building being torn down...Can't it be rehabbed? It must be saved. Who does that billionaire think he is, neglecting that building for a year and now expecting to demolish it and put up a building where he will line his pockets with dollars. And he's building it on a public street, and expecting the city to provide streetlights and fire hydrants and sewers. Better it sit there for the next 5 years until someone develops a plan to reuse the building. But we know that will never happen and the city will cooperate with the evil landowner. I'm suprised Olympia hasn't grabbed the building and demolished it without a legal permit. Oh wait, wrong project.

Just kidding.
    Last edited by detroitbob; February-12-15 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WPitonya View Post
    Do you know the definition of gentrification? How is this gentrification if nobody is being pushed out of this plot? Would you rather keep this surface lot with a burned out strip club? The more development the better!!

The poor low-income disabled section 8 folks who used to live in the once Griswold Apts. [[ Now call the Albert) can tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Wonderful news, good riddance to bad rubbish.

​What! kick the poor out like trash.

Can we expect any concrete details on what building is coming after the Historic District Commission meeting on the 18th or just approval of the demolition? This site is the first item on the agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ​What! kick the poor out like trash.
    Just the strip club trash, Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by catalogofoddities View Post
    Can we expect any concrete details on what building is coming after the Historic District Commission meeting on the 18th or just approval of the demolition? This site is the first item on the agenda.
    if the renderings of the project have already been seen by a forum member and this is on the agenda i would imagine there would be something for people to look at. at least that is my hope. i imagine we are going to see something modern, perhaps with an emphasis on being green. capitol park has so many great historical structures that sprinkling in some modern ones would really add to the area and the contrast would be a welcome addition to the city.

That's what I'm hoping. You have to hope that all of this time that it's been sitting there vacant since the fire has been used by the developers to put together a solid proposal. I'm decently optimistic.

According to U.S.Census by block tract in 2010 the area in Gilberttown Detroit at the Gilbert Park area was 26.6% white. This was before the gentrification and Dan Gilbert real estate rush. Three years later after gentrification, in the Gilbert Park area increased to 38.8% white. Do you see all the progress Dan Gilbert did to his park and bringing his family in his real estate. Do you see the rehab of the buildings surrounding that area. Before 2009 when all the D-DOT buses left the once Capitol Park that area is loaded with DEAD [[C) KRAK HEADS, mutants, pigeon rats and thieves waiting and watching for innocent prey to rob and rape. That park is now beautiful and I don't have to walk a wino and see titty bars and ghetto marts on the way further downtown.

Now I see DIME music college, Westin Book Cadillac Hotel, Sky Bar, and new bike shop and Archdiocese of Detroit headquarters coming soon. You can thank Dan Gilbert for his works on his own park. A place where [[nouveau riche) people can walk on.

I feel really sorry for those welfare section 8 folks who got put out from Griswold Building [[ Now the Albert). I do know the Wingate all offer them a nice place to stay in one of their old collapsing buildings.

I'd bet microlofts.

I really reallly hope it looks like the Z Lot............said nobody. Ever.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast