Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Why so much animosity toward the young/hipster guys and gals? I feel like every thread I look at is condemning them. I don't even come close to being one, but why all the hate toward them?

As far as Capitol Park is heading, it'll be great to see this place thriving. It's almost a city within Detroit. I love the way it is kinda like a hidden enclave.

Appears the renovation of the Capitol Park Building has begun. Just walked by and they have fencing around the outside and hanging scaffolding about eight stories up.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Why so much animosity toward the young/hipster guys and gals? I feel like every thread I look at is condemning them. I don't even come close to being one, but why all the hate toward them?
    Agree with your feelings...the outright animosity is unfounded. i don't understand why those who profess to care about Detroit in general and downtown in specific resent and consider the new residents to be invaders. I have said for 30 years that a new generation of people, many who have little or no familial allegiance to the city would be the ones to move into and reinvigorate from the core out. Now that it is happening this reaction is strange, until you consider the efforts over the years to grasp onto and to preserve many things obsolete like the JL Hudson building. I am old enough to remember shopping downtown and even attending first run movies at the legendary movie palaces, eating at long gone restaurants and drinking at old bars that are only memories. I also worked downtown and mourned the lack of commerce and evening activity. Mike Ilitch and others initiated the renewal and Dan Gilbert followed and they are the most, dare I say, hated on many threads and face irrational criticism. I guess it is like destroying what you love so no one else can enjoy its companionship or attention. Every time I go downtown, day or night, I am amazed at the amount of new activity, and most importantly the renewed foot traffic. Then i realize that that most of these folks live down here, or at least are working down here. A friend, about 10 years younger, recently stated that downtown and midtown are getting "to be happy" places for the first time in his life. I agree.
    Last edited by detroitbob; August-25-14 at 06:35 PM.

Gilbert Park [[formally Capital Park) development has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Agree with your feelings...the outright animosity is unfounded. i don't understand why those who profess to care about Detroit in general and downtown in specific resent and consider the new residents to be invaders. I have said for 30 years that a new generation of people, many who have little or no familial allegiance to the city would be the ones to move into and reinvigorate from the core out. Now that it is happening this reaction is strange, until you consider the efforts over the years to grasp onto and to preserve many things obsolete like the JL Hudson building. I am old enough to remember shopping downtown and even attending first run movies at the legendary movie palaces, eating at long gone restaurants and drinking at old bars that are only memories. I also worked downtown and mourned the lack of commerce and evening activity. Mike Ilitch and others initiated the renewal and Dan Gilbert followed and they are the most, dare I say, hated on many threads and face irrational criticism. I guess it is like destroying what you love so no one else can enjoy its companionship or attention. Every time I go downtown, day or night, I am amazed at the amount of new activity, and most importantly the renewed foot traffic. Then i realize that that most of these folks live down here, or at least are working down here. A friend, about 10 years younger, recently stated that downtown and midtown are getting "to be happy" places for the first time in his life. I agree.
    I think you nailed it on the head. People are afraid of change, and don't want to see their world altered in a way they don't approve. I've seen it across lots of different age groups, different types of people, you name it. They want Detroit to be 1950s Detroit again, not this new creature that it is slowly involving into. They have very valid points [[cultural preservation, architectural preservation, etc) that I think everyone does need to listen to.

The thing is, after spending about 4 hours biking around downtown on Sunday, when there was no sports games, and seeing the amount of foot traffic and having probably a dozen people ask for directions to [[what are for me super obvious) landmarks, I can say that something is happening. Even Capitol Park, which 5-10 years ago was a pretty gritty/sketchy looking place, looked way better. It made me happy to see everyone out and enjoying the city.

Also.... lets not forget.... it's generally the same people on this forum that do most of the complaining... generally about a half dozen. So don't lump the silent majority in with the vocal minority....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Also.... lets not forget.... it's generally the same people on this forum that do most of the complaining... generally about a half dozen. So don't lump the silent majority in with the vocal minority....
    This is similar to the Belle Isle protests, which for all the hubub and attention generated attracted fewer than 25 protestors. Sure, there will always be people who are disenchanted with the change. But for the most part, the extreme views on both sides seem to garner most of the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    This is similar to the Belle Isle protests, which for all the hubub and attention generated attracted fewer than 25 protestors. Sure, there will always be people who are disenchanted with the change. But for the most part, the extreme views on both sides seem to garner most of the attention.
    That's what can be very frustrating. I completely support people's right to voice their opinion, but at some council meetings you will have a very, very vocal group of people - who happen to be in the very small minority - speak up and sound absurd on certain issues. That sentiment is then made to sound like the viewpoint of the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Gilbert Park [[formally Capital Park) development has begun.
    I've been lurking around for quite some time, so I've seen many references by you to Dan Gilbert. I'm curious... Why are you so down on his investment in the revitalization of Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by loveDetroit View Post
    I've been lurking around for quite some time, so I've seen many references by you to Dan Gilbert. I'm curious... Why are you so down on his investment in the revitalization of Detroit?
    Since you're new, I'll let you know that Danny is like the forums drunk cousin that everyone lets ramble on but doesn't pay attention to.

Snicker! I'll keep that in mind Cushkid. I figured he's a 23 year old that knows everything and wants to show us "old" folks how dumb we are.

Saw this article today about cornice restoration in general, and specific references to Capitol Park:

http://www.freep.com/article/2014090...078/1001/rss01

"But now Lansing-based developer Richard Karp is recreating the historic cornices on three of his buildings in Capitol Park in downtown Detroit. Workers have already installed a partial cornice on the 1212 Griswold building, and when that’s finished work will begin later on two nearby buildings in Capitol Park, 1145 Griswold and the Farwell Building.
    Karp said restoring some of the architectural luster is part of his motivation. “We just happen to take a lot of pride in our work. That’s why we do it,” he said last week."

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Totally. I just mentioned Qwikee today. A friend from Cleveland mentioned old donut shops of the past. I would like to see them back in town.
    The Ham Shops too!

There is a Ham Shop in Greektown

Quote Originally Posted by loveDetroit View Post

Dan Gilbert
    owns 33 percent of the buildings of Gilberttown Detroit. He's running the show so everything from his pop art retails to Qube WHQ building runs on Gilbert Power. He's is the OCP of Detroit.

when will the apartments in the buildings being renovated be available for new tenants?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    when will the apartments in the buildings being renovated be available for new tenants?
    Might I suggest you reach out to the developers? Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Saw this article today about cornice restoration in general, and specific references to Capitol Park:

"But now Lansing-based developer Richard Karp is recreating the historic cornices on three of his buildings in Capitol Park in downtown Detroit. Workers have already installed a partial cornice on the 1212 Griswold building, and when that’s finished work will begin later on two nearby buildings in Capitol Park, 1145 Griswold and the Farwell Building.
    Karp said restoring some of the architectural luster is part of his motivation. “We just happen to take a lot of pride in our work. That’s why we do it,” he said last week."
    Not a single quote? Seriously guys? This is kind of awesome that the developer is committed to making these buildings shine in their former glory. Danny can stuff a sock in it over Gilbert's OCP bullstuff, these buildings are finally getting the attention and TLC that they deserve and that is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    There is a Ham Shop in Greektown
    I tried it, not the same. That is like saying you should go to Tim Hortons or Starbucks instead of Qwickee

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I tried it, not the same. That is like saying you should go to Tim Hortons or Starbucks instead of Qwickee
    You probably liked Ham Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    Exactly what is needed is a very small property tax for all of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties to tear down old buildings, clean up parks and fix up places like Capitol Park in the City of Detroit.

Also, we should raise the SMART tax to 3.0 mil with the present write in ballot which is now well known and get all communities in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties to opt in by supporting fine organizations such as the Transportation Riders United

We also can and should change the state constitution to allow County and City Sales taxes

We have the courage and compassion and the will to all dig just a little deeper into our pockets.

Paying extra an $500 to $2000 per year in NEW or increased taxes for things like a NEW COBO Hall to keep the North American Car Show, stadiums and helping pay the pension of retired Detroit workers, more pay for underpaid teachers and protective shields for SMART bus drivers are all what many or most of us want and need.

Thanks in advance for paying for my SMART bus ride next August by Y'all voting YES, YES, YES.

Please support the write in ballot by Googling save the fuel tax

What's this got to do with rehabbing Gilbert Park? Your comments is Non Sequitur!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

After is done! You won't a see slightest DEAD [[C)KRAK HEAD! in Gilbert Park.
    Last edited by Danny; September-11-14 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post

Here is an example of his work:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...g_348241_7.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

The work they did on the Durant Hotel in Flint is absolutley wonderful as well. http://www.thedurant.com/

Some renovation photos from Curbed:

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...5-griswold.php

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast