Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    There is a rumor going around saying that Gilbert had run out of money...
    There is a rumor going around saying that the Pope ran out of Holy Water.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    There is a rumor going around saying that the Pope ran out of Holy Water.
    He should come to Michigan. We have plenty of it.

Just checking to see if it's a rumor
    Have you heard of this awesome "Snake Oil" stuff? I discovered it went I visited some Brazilian tribes last summer. Seems to cure everything! Only $80 a vial

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Have you heard of this awesome "Snake Oil" stuff? I discovered it went I visited some Brazilian tribes last summer. Seems to cure everything! Only $80 a vial
    Lol. What if the rumor has substance.

Lol. What if the rumor has substance.
    Rumor is the feds are going to give Detroit ten trillion dollars. What if this rumor has substance?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Rumor is the feds are going to give Detroit ten trillion dollars. What if this rumor has substance?
    It will need it if the sneakers cost $8,500!

Those sneakers are just going to sit on the shelf. Remember, Downtown is not Rodeo Drive. What happened to Papa Joe's. What happened to Apple? It is excellent the Gilbert had renovated these buildings. I as well as others will continue to shop at the malls in the suburbs for basuc needs where stores who sell them are not opening downtown midtown

Personally I'm am very happy when ANY business makes a go of it in the city of Detroit. The fact that there is someone that is going to take a shot at making it in Detroit is a great sign for the city's future and is what free enterprise is all about, some win, some lose, simple to understand. What I never understand is all the folks who don't lay down the capital for these businesses feel that they should proclaim themselves an expert at what will be successful and what is going to fail. It's a free country so if you have the idea for what "Detroit needs" start a business, make money, move to a "real city", give it to a pension fund, park endowment, start a bus service, save all the boarded up architecture you want instead of expecting "they" to do it for you. Then buy out Gilbert, Penske or "God" [[trust, they have #, it can be done)

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Personally I'm am very happy when ANY business makes a go of it in the city of Detroit. The fact that there is someone that is going to take a shot at making it in Detroit is a great sign for the city's future and is what free enterprise is all about, some win, some lose, simple to understand. What I never understand is all the folks who don't lay down the capital for these businesses feel that they should proclaim themselves an expert at what will be successful and what is going to fail. It's a free country so if you have the idea for what "Detroit needs" start a business, make money, move to a "real city", give it to a pension fund, park endowment, start a bus service, save all the boarded up architecture you want instead of expecting "they" to do it for you. Then buy out Gilbert, Penske or "God" [[trust, they have #, it can be done)
    I am happy that Gilbert had started the ball rolling. I would start a business in Detroit if I had the capital, patience, a money to pay off elected officials to remove the red tape. As a taxpaying resident of Detroit I do have a say so on what is needed in the city especially from developers who had received incentives from city government with our tax dollars

I am very grateful that Gilbert had done something to these buildings that were rotting for over a decade on Woodward. There is always a master plan to a city. Downtown is not going to be the downtown of the past. It is true that everything is purchased online. I was hoping that the rumor wasn't true that is why I had brought it up for discussion for refute. I had also believed that one person or entity should not be the cure all for the city. Matty Moroun has not done anything to the train station as well as other dilapidated properties that he allegedly own around Detroit. Illitch had given us Comerica Park but is slowly renovating the United Artist Building. I still would love to see more pedestrial traffic on Broadway as it is in Greektown. Whatever Gilbert open in the Z building is alright with me. It's his money and time that he is putting into the city and not ours.

There is a rumor going around saying that Gilbert had run out of money so some of his projects are on hold.
    Just curious, Stasu...how is Gilbert funding this? I haven't seen him panhandling.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014052...hnology-center

Whatever Gilbert open in the Z building is alright with me. It's his money and time that he is putting into the city and not ours.
    I heard he plans to relocate Jazz Convenience from Woodward into the Z.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I heard he plans to relocate Jazz Convenience from Woodward into the Z.
    As long as the name is changed to Peetes Coffee Shop I would be in full support of it

Now Downtown Detroit can look like Ferndale, Royal Oak, and Birmingham all rolled up in one Thanks, Dan Gilbert. Our next Mayor of Detroit after Duggan.

believe14 Guest

Just curious, Stasu...how is Gilbert funding this? I haven't seen him panhandling.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014052...hnology-center
    Difference is Quicken makes money. His Detroit real estate holdings do not.

Yeah what happened to Papa Joes.

Crains Detroit about month ago had an article it was going to cost Papa Joes another $400,000
    to renavate the space in the FNB. they were going to take over most of the lobby, part of the basement and some space on the second floor, to much money for them

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Crains Detroit about month ago had an article it was going to cost Papa Joes another $400,000
    to renavate the space in the FNB. they were going to take over most of the lobby, part of the basement and some space on the second floor, to much money for them
    Honestly, $400K doesn't seem like a ton of money in the grand scheme of things to a grocery store/deli that would be pretty heavily trafficked. How much revenue does a 15K sq ft store bring in for a week?

dont know Spartan thats what the article read, but have you been to the other Papa Joes's very expensive, so its not for the common folk, maybe for the lawyers and other rich people in the building. Dan should put a City Target in down here,

How do you know this? Have you reviewed all of his financials? You don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by believe14 View Post

The claim was that Gilbert has run out of money. Please give me proof he has run out of money.

believe14 Guest

The claim was that Gilbert has run out of money. Please give me proof he has run out of money.
    Run out of money... to pump into his Detroit portfolio. Wouldn't surprise me. How many years can someone spend millions on Detroit real estate before they want to see some returns? The guy doesn't have to squander his fortune on Detroit. It's been 5+ years... Is he supposed to patiently wait another 5, 10 or 20 spending and propping up real estate with no return in sight? Maybe in your dreams.

Run out of money... to pump into his Detroit portfolio. Wouldn't surprise me. How many years can someone spend millions on Detroit real estate before they want to see some returns? The guy doesn't have to squander his fortune on Detroit. It's been 5+ years... Is he supposed to patiently wait another 5, 10 or 20 spending and propping up real estate with no return in sight? Maybe in your dreams.
    How do you know what his returns have been thus far?

How do you know what his returns have been thus far?
    Yeah, it's not like he just bought a bunch of empty buildings Ilitch style. Almost all his buildings are fully occupied [[or at least close). I don't think he's leasing space for free, and he got most of the buildings pretty cheaply.

Dans not out of money, he gets thousands monthy , remember he owns casios, and he is as lo buying buildings in Pittsurgh or is it Cleveland.doing the same there as he is here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast