Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Oh, puh-leeze. It's a library for Christ's sake. What functions does it need, besides to house books and provide an internet connection?
    [/COLOR]
    No argument there... but those that care about that stuff say its not fitting the modern uses for activity rooms, and multi media rooms, computer rooms, tool rental and movie rental...etc and etc. Personally, I think a large empty room with lots of wifi, no staff and no inventory is a better use of anyone's money... its not a museum for rare books. Partner with Amazon and buy everyone a e-reader with the money blown on this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

If restaurants matter, GP is suddenly getting better, and it has the Restaurant of the Year, Marais, right downtown.
    Which brings the total to three on the same street within a mile of eachother.... The Hill and Dirty Dog are past winners.....

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    I guess I should've given some more information about myself. I own a viking 42, so even if I were to live in OC I would still commute to the eastside to get to lake st. clair. The only thing I wouldn't like about the eastside, is the winters I guess. I feel as if there is way more to do when it is cold out in, say royal oak, or downtown birmingham than in GP. I do know that the commute to downtown from the OC is bad however, and GP is closer to where I work but I also have this notion in my head that GP is just where the older crowd lives. In Royal oak, which is just a short drive from Birmingham, I feel everyone is younger and the nightlife is better as well. Also, I know the two areas pretty well and as bham1982 said, I'm not looking for a starter home either.
    Ok, NOW were getting somewhere. I changed my mind about recommendations. Move to Midtown, [[enjoy the nightlife and the $10 coffees), moor the boat either @ DYC, [[my first choice because of the variety of non-boater activities) or Keanes. There are other places on the river, [[Edison comes to mind) but you'd probably enjoy the first two choices the best, IMO. Anywho, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey
    No argument there... but those that care about that stuff say its not fitting the modern uses for activity rooms, and multi media rooms, computer rooms, tool rental and movie rental...etc and etc.

I get it, but if they want a teenager hangout room with beanbags or whatever, they can always build an extension. I don't understand why Americans are so obsessed with new buildings, even when the quality is inferior to what was before.

It really blew my mind when I visited Armada, MI and saw that the town had attached a new library to its old, architecturally distinguished Carnegie library and had completely cut off access to the latter aside from historical tours. Why not have it open to the public? Why not put books or computers in there? 'Twas nuts. Carnegie would be rolling in his grave.

Of course, most Carnegie libraries in smaller towns sit unused, shuttered so a squat, ugly "modern" building can serve the community instead. It's like reusing a structure is a concept beyond what they can fathom, especially when their builder buddy that they want to give a kickback tells 'em that he doesn't know how to renovate, but he can erect a new library out of particle board in no time.

"See these big, thick walls," the builder motions. "Ya can't hear what's goin' on 'round the other side! Build ya a new library and you'll be able ta hear what's a-happenin' every which way at any time."
    Last edited by nain rouge; May-13-14 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    IV's census tract is 50% with bachelors and 30% with masters which is about double even the highest census tracts in MC, and about the same as the GP census tracts.

That fact, plus the decline of manufacturing, the decline in service industry wages, the poor school choices, the age of many of the residents, and a bunch of other factors make me think that MC doesn't have a bright future and that there is nowhere in MC where buying a house will be a good investment.

GP's longterm future depends on downtown Detroit's success. GP is a bedroom community that needs someplace to commute to. It doesn't have a Troy or Southfield like OC does. GP's Big Beaver is Detroit. In the future it won't be able to count on MC for high paying jobs or office space, and NIMBYs would prevent GP from developing office buildings itself.

I haven't been comparing OC because it's bad for boating and for commuting to downtown.

GP has a small subset of people who are patrons of the arts [[Hawkins Ferry being the best historical example), or have an interest in art and design either professionally or as a hobby, or have an interest in local history. The public library is a good example of this dynamic. The overwhelming majority of people in Grosse Pointe wanted it demolished because they thought that it was bad. Even the library board of all people! The commercial renovations and new construction and the new houses tell you what GPers think is good. But the library was saved because of external, international pressure, and [[I'll give credit where credit is due) patronage and support from a small number of locals.

People in GP are just as likely as the people in MC to say that modern art [[aka "all art from the last 100+ years") is garbage that a 5 year old could do, and to say that all the stuff at the local crafts fairs is "good art". And whatever actual art from centuries past that they actually do like they know nothing about.

I'm not going to say that IV is any kind of mecca, but I do think there's a stronger interest in local history there, and I think there's more awareness of art and design there. At the very least IV [[and West Village which I'm sort of bundling it with) has a few hipsters, and despite their flaws hipsters at least have some aesthetic sensibilities. The recent commercial interiors there are better than any recent ones I'm aware of in GP.

Or maybe I know MC and GP too well, and IV not well enough. So I might be overrating IV but I'm definitely not underrating GP.
    You're embarrassing yourself. You should be quiet while your betters discuss these things.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Jeepers GP, I wish I could be like you. Sounds great.
    When I was a little kid I used to tell my ma that when I grew up I wanted to be rich enough to own a triple wide mobile home. She'd just slap me upside the back of my head and tell me us poors wouldn't ever have nothin' that nice.
    I guess she was right cus we just weren't enlightened enough. Sure woulda been nice though. I really admire people of your stature though.
    Darn, the thought of waking up on hotel pool furniture has always been something I've always dreamed about.
    Ahh, that's the great thing about the corinthian sport of yachting, you don't need to be rich. The first professional sailors were kids from the canneries and men from the ships that fed the canneries. They were wedged next to the Vanderbilts, Roosevelts and, Rockefellers right on the rail. Not only would they get a paycheck, but they'd get to party with them after. And so the noble tradition of sailors sticking together off the water was started.

Side note: Those rich men would pass down the secret to staying rich to their sailors. Never buy a boat.

Waking up in a precarious position on some strewn about pool furniture is a triumph, especially if its with last night's waitress.

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post
    Waking up in a precarious position on some strewn about pool furniture is a triumph, especially if its with last night's waitress.
    I went to bed at 2 with a ten and woke up at 10 with a 2.

Attachment 23498

42 Viking? GP then, that boat needs a home at the GPYC......

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    42 Viking? GP then, that boat needs a home at the GPYC......
    I know DYC fairly well [[family member is member), and that isn't a typical DYC boat. So, I agree GPYC is better choice. Move to the East Side, somewhere close to the lake, GP if you have some money left over from paying for the boat, SCS if you don't.

Here's my recommondation:

If you own a Viking 42, and are looking for something more than a starter home, and work downtown - you appear to be in a much better financial situation than most twentysomethings.

I would strongly consider living in Grosse Pointe - to minimize your commute to downtown, minimize your commute to your boat, and have the ability to get out on the water as much as possible during our short-but-intense Michigan summers. Living in the GP area will make it much easier to get out on your boat, particularly on summer evenings after work. It would be a pain to leave work, get to your boat, and then be looking at a 30-45 minute trip back home if you even want to think about getting out on the water in the evening. Even on the weekends, you are looking at a 30-45 minute commute to the lake from Oakland County.

On the flip side, during the other times of the year, GP gives excellent access to everything in the downtown/midtown area. If you want, drive out to Royal Oak or Birmingham on the weekends when you desire. You will likely find Royal Oak to be over-rated and/or not your type of scene anyways.

Gpforlife is a bad representation of eastsiders, comments like you poor, unenlightened etc sure make the pointes sound stuffy and elitetess. Ignore that crap. Boaters are a tribe unto themselves. We are honorary members of the Fugaway boating club.

Fugaway is short for, "where the F*** are we. Grew up on the river. My Dad had a fishing boat and a sail boat moored at Jefferson Beach Marina. Me, I am lazy, really just enjoy watching the river flow from a vantage point on Belle Isle these days. Our sons are both excellent sailors due to good folk in GPP. Better to know someone with a boat then own one. They pay for the ride and one pays for lunch/dinner. Great arrangement.

So where did you decide to move?, "inquiring minds want to know"! Just enjoy where ever you land. We made friends where ever we moved and are indeed richer for all our experiences.

I haven't moved yet guys, as sumas was wondering. I am currently living in the area, but just looking at homes here and there so I will hopefully find something by the end of the summer either in grosse pointe or B-ham.
    B4L

believe14 Guest

Royal Oak or maybe Birmingham and this isn't even close. 696 to your boat for the 3 months you'll actually use it.

Late 20s and single in the Pointes? I seriously can't imagine a more boring existence. Everyone I know from the Pointes went to college and lives out of state now; very few 20-somethings in the Pointes, outside of medical residents or nurses.

Once you find a fiancee or wife: the Pointes, Rochester Hills, Northville or Birmingham.
    Last edited by believe14; May-18-14 at 08:49 AM.

Harrison TWP near the mouth of the Clinton River. The real boaters, not the yacht club types, hang out in the local bars around there.

Still searching in both area, anyone have any last words needed to sway one way or another? Most of my friends live in the birmingham/ royal oak area. I love the water, but only get to use the boat for 3 months here in michigan, so is it really worth it for the other 9 months while I could be closer to malls, restaurants, and shopping?

My best guess is if most of your friends are in Birmingham/Royal Oak you should buy there and commute to your boat.

The eastside has lots of pluses and many new and even exciting developments but friends nearby make for a pleasant lifestyle.

I do laugh a bit about the shopping being appealing. I worked retail as a buyer and store manager for various companies. You couldn't get me into a mall to this day. They are creepy fake cities. I much prefer small independent stores. As for restaurants, we have a few we like. Little private businesses that know our name when we walk in. That is age talking.

Lots more action Royal Oak way.

Which ever way you choose, just enjoy life. We have always made friends wherever we lived. Good neighbors are key to value added to a home.

I moved to this side of town almost 25 years ago and the shopping does suck. Planning a trip out to partridge creek or somerset takes half a day. However with the internet and some great small specialty stores it is much easier. If you like chain restaurants you are in for a shock, but there are some fantastic local ones that make up for it.

Assuming that you drive, I will say that driving is incredibly hassle free in and around Grosse Pointe. There is effectively no congestion, including on thoroughfares like Mack Avenue, and highway feeders like Moross, 8-mile, or Outer Drive, and the downtown access streets like E. Jefferson and E. Warren. The streets are, moreover, 'complete,' with enough room for two way traffic and bikes [[a bike lane initiative is getting started too) and sidewalks on most every street, both sides. It's quiet and there are no freeways or collector roads with noise and fumes within earshot. I find it much calmer and more placid than the more modern, collector-road criss-crossed OC. Again, if you are commuting daily, I swear you'll be in a better mood if you're heading home to the east side.

There are also numerous neighborhoods where you can have a SMART bus heading downtown go right down your street or a nearby avenue. It's a nice options if you have regular hours and a downtown job.

Lastly, there is a majestic lakefront and all the cooling summer breezes that come with it for free.

It sounds like you like to shop til you drop, but I think all of the above should probably outweigh your preference for OC malls. It's not like you won't be able to find most of what you need in and around GP. Besides, there is a positive retail trends in the CoD-- that is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    ...if you are commuting daily, I swear you'll be in a better mood if you're heading home to the east side.
    Not if you get off on I-94 anywhere between I-75 and Cadieux.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Not if you get off on I-94 anywhere between I-75 and Cadieux.
    What's wrong with taking Jefferson? If you're from the Pointes, you can easily drive 50-60 mph all the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What's wrong with taking Jefferson? If you're from the Pointes, you can easily drive 50-60 mph all the way home.
    True.

But in terms of being in a certain mood, it's not the most pleasant drive aesthetically in some parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    True.

But in terms of being in a certain mood, it's not the most pleasant drive aesthetically in some parts.
    Detroit chic is an aquired taste.

Downtown, Birmingham, avoid all others like the plague. Or just live somewhere far out so your boat can be on the water.

GUSHI Guest

Just a FYI, Gpp now has a farmer market,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast