Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    While there is still a ton of vacant land in Midtown, I hope that at some point the momentum will indeed spill over into nearby areas.

It would be nice if this gap between Boston Edison and New Center - where Philadelphia Street is - was not as large as it is. That would make it easier for redevelopment to spread south from Boston Edison and north from New Center and create a decent area uniting those two neighborhoods. On the other hand, this area is only three blocks wide from Woodward to the Lodge, and it really could have some potential in the future.
    Yes, although I think I would expect development on the east side of Woodward over to Oakland or I-75 as well, so the corridor is more like eight blocks wide than three. Certainly that is what is being promoted in the North End redevelopment being discussed in the NY Times recently.

I'm reasonably convinced that area will redevelop, but it could take decades. If I were spending money on rehab/redevelopment in the Woodward corridor, I'd spend it somewhere from Virginia Park south; I just think those areas are likely to revive sooner. W. Philadelphia is a bit ahead of the curve in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    While there is still a ton of vacant land in Midtown, I hope that at some point the momentum will indeed spill over into nearby areas.

It would be nice if this gap between Boston Edison and New Center - where Philadelphia Street is - was not as large as it is. That would make it easier for redevelopment to spread south from Boston Edison and north from New Center and create a decent area uniting those two neighborhoods. On the other hand, this area is only three blocks wide from Woodward to the Lodge, and it really could have some potential in the future.
    I think there's a fairly low barrier to entry in this neighborhood, while still being dense enough to be interesting. The houses are approximate in size to Woodbridge or parts of Southwest, not as small as Corktown, though.

I would imagine that the size, quality, and relative density of this area would be more inviting to one-off renovations by "pioneers" than the massive undertaking of a B-E mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    Does anyone know why this area was chosen to rehab a bunch of houses? Its great that this is getting done, but the area is far from being even close to rebounding, and still looks to be in decline. Unless these are HUD, doesn't make much sense.
    This likely will be one of the next areas to begin rebounding with new development. In fact, it's already happening on this street. Not only are these houses being rehabbed, a new art gallery, Michael Jon Gallery, just opened this week at the corner of 2nd Ave. I can see North End becoming a rising residential area with many more rehabs and new construction, as well as commercial development following it. The proximity to Midtown, Hamtramck and all the freeways only helps.

I drove through this area on my way home from work today. The renovations are certainly not limited to Philadelphia St as several of the neighboring blocks had lots of activity as well. They appear to be doing a considerable amount of work to some of them too. One house on Philadelphia near the Lodge even appeared to have had a new basement poured.

Quote Originally Posted by scottn55 View Post
    I drove through this area on my way home from work today. The renovations are certainly not limited to Philadelphia St as several of the neighboring blocks had lots of activity as well. They appear to be doing a considerable amount of work to some of them too. One house on Philadelphia near the Lodge even appeared to have had a new basement poured.
    Great to hear that the renovations are more widespread! Maybe someone can take a few pics when in the area.

Pretty awesome. Makes sense for the North End to rebound. This is North End right? I feel that revitalization in this area will occur on the westside of Woodward before the east for some reason

The North End has so much great housing, and it is close to Woodward ... you could ride your bicycle downtown or to Eastern market, it deserves to come back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2