Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Calling it the Motor City at this point is delusional and has nothing to do with providing mass transportation reliably like many other cities have done at this point.

Motor City is an antiquated concept that should not be propped up like some old Raggedy Ann doll and espoused as some sort of proud tradition as many folks are freezing their asses off waiting for a bus that may or not come to get to a job in the Motor City.

Are there not motors in mass transit vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Calling it the Motor City at this point is delusional and has nothing to do with providing mass transportation reliably like many other cities have done at this point.

Motor City is an antiquated concept that should not be propped up like some old Raggedy Ann doll and espoused as some sort of proud tradition as many folks are freezing their asses off waiting for a bus that may or not come to get to a job in the Motor City.

Are there not motors in mass transit vehicles?
    I don't see the issue with continuing to call Detroit the "Motor City."

Even if very little actual manufacturing takes place here in 2014, much of the American Auto Industry's Administration is still based here.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-26-14 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I don't see the issue with continue to call Detroit the "Motor City."

Even if very little actual manufacturing takes place here in 2014, much of the America Auto Industry's Administration is still based here.
    There is a huge amount of manufacturing in this area of parts for the global auto industry, and it's increasing. Motor City is what it was called since I was young and many still identify it with the transportation industry. And transportation has evolved. Buses eliminated street cars and passenger trains, and affordable cars eliminated the need to take a bus for many people. Maybe things will change back to mass transit but the market [[what people want) will drive that.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    The talking points in this region are so contradictory it is sad and funny. Who has some good ones?

I'll start:

Kids in Detroit have the same opportunity if they work hard in school.........but, I would never send my kids there.

Kids in Detroit have the same opportunity if they work hard in school.........but, the city won't turn around until the schools improve.
    Kids in Detroit don't have the same opportunity in school. They're more likely to be in a single-parent household. They're more likely to to live in a household with less resources. They're more likely to be the victims of crime.

However, that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be an expectation that the child won't finish high school, won't have a plan on what to do beyond high school, etc...

Too many excuses are made for minority and inner-city kids. Expectations are so wildly low; those that aspire and dream are sometimes even mocked or told that they're trying to be white for daring to want to have a good and successful life.

I'm white, I live in Rochester Hills, and my 2 year old has more in his college fund than what most families in Detroit have saved up in the bank. Of course my kids have a leg up in the world.

More importantly than resources, my kids are being told from a young age that they're going to finish school, go on to college, pick a career, and they're going to succeed. We make it a point to tell my daughter that her gender doesn't limit her. We point out noble professions and tell her how she can be a teacher, a doctor, a scientist, etc...

This isn't to say that there are not people in Detroit that don't have expectations for their children, but the inner-city\black culture needs to throw away its excuses and start aspiring and expecting more of their children.
    Last edited by Scottathew; December-26-14 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Neither does yours and that wasn't the point. Motor city + moving here not intending to own a car = contradiction. No more or less valid than any other posts in this thread.
    Yup and that's the worst attitude in the region, IMO. I love cars but frankly that excuse is pathetic. I'm proud of the car heritage in Detroit, but it's time to let go and build sustainable transit.

Yes. A good city or metropolis requires a healthy mix of transit options. Otherwise, you get long, frustrating commutes that limit quality of life. Think about that the next time you're stuck on I-75.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Yup and that's the worst attitude in the region, IMO. I love cars but frankly that excuse is pathetic. I'm proud of the car heritage in Detroit, but it's time to let go and build sustainable transit.
    I agree that it would be good, but it will never happen because our entire area has the attitude. I tried to set up a car pool when gas was pushing $4.50 a gallon and the three people within a half mile of me wouldn't do it. That's why it's a contradiction!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2