Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Let's just ignore the whole text message situation and look at what he did.

You have a sitting council president, in a time of unprecedented and dire crisis, up and skip town without a word. No Dear John resignation letter, no postcard from NY saying goodbye, I quit, no kiss my ass, nothing. The city and it's government were left completely in the dark and were stalled for weeks. If you're going to ghost so be it. It's crappy but it's legal, however, the absolute least you can do is email or fax your intention not to return so the thousands of citizens who elected you in good faith can move on without lawyers.

Go get him, media. While you're there eat at his restaurant and leave a penny tip.

Exactly. And an all boys school, of which he was entrusted as part of a mentoring team. Not a buffet line for Pugh select and pursue a sexual relationship from. Stick with adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Not @ the time of the tex'n he wasn't. He turned 18 shortly after.

May skip criminal, just may......but not $1million+ civil.

BTW: Innocent people do not run or flee from home, job, family, friends.......

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    May skip criminal, just may......but not $1million+ civil.

BTW: Innocent people do not run or flee from home, job, family, friends.......
    You mean the civil suit that has not actually been filed?

He is guilty of being a self absorbed, moron with boundary issues. He's guilty of being a coward on how he left. But again, I ask, how many more pounds of flesh need to be extracted here? He's as ruined as they get. This will follow him for the rest of his life, there is no mea culpa he can make that will be taken seriously by anyone and eventually he'll fade into obscurity [[which I think for a person like him is a fate worse than death.).

Mom saw dollar signs... too bad she killed the goose before it could lay any eggs for her.
    Even Assistant Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper, in deciding not to bring any criminal charges against Pugh, questioned Gaines' rationale for coming forward.

"When we talk about credibility, there appears to be some type of motive in the reporting of this incident," Cooper told the Detroit Free Press in December.

A Free Press investigation turned up troubling details about Gaines. Shortly after the incident occurred, the Free Press reported that the rental home the family lived in had been foreclosed upon, and that Gaines and her husband had made no payment arrangements with the new owner. The Free Press also reported that Gaines and her husband had both received personal protection orders against each other at separate times. A win in court, or a swift settlement, could drastically change the family's financial status.

Many are wondering why the lawsuit names Bing and the city of Detroit as defendants, but Seikaly revealed his reasoning in his Fox 2 interview: it's because Pugh doesn't have the type of money he's after.

Thats how I feel bailey, he screwed up and is paying for it dearly. If there are charges I am sure we would all know about it and Pugh would be a fugitive.
    It seems it was obviously a money grab for mom. I honestly hope Pugh finds some peace and that reporter got a speeding ticket on the way home. It was a national enquirer type piece. If I was Pugh I might have punched that dude in the nose for stalking me, and gotten in even more trouble. The reporter obviously couldn't find a real story. I guess I just feel for Pugh a little bit and I cant help but think that if this was a straight man proping an 18 year old woman it wouldn't be all that much of a story.

Not the same django, man on boy is different than woman on girl. Difference is older woman don't go for young girls inappropriately, sad to say men do.

Should have remained a news person

Word is that Pugh was not well liked at WJBK, he made a lot of trouble and had a diva attitude with demands. He can't get a gig anywhere in the media world. Voice overs maybe, but that might be just a cover. Waiter suits him fine. Charles is a huge coward that runs away from responsibility and is a selfish liar. That man has severe personality defects. Glad WXYZ did a follow up, so the people that still believe in this turd will face the truth. Detroit and this area need a lesson in who and what to believe. we have been taken by con artists way too often the most recent elections. Kwame, Monica, Cushingberry, Pugh. There are a few others too.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    IAWTC. Detroit media has a tendency to follow political figures well past the expiration date of the story, for whatever reason.
    Detroit media has to follow people who try to flee from consequence, such as Kwame and Pugh.

I'm really disappointed with Pugh. I'm not 100% sure he broke the law, but he sure as hell doesn't want to stick around to find out. Everything he does makes him look very guilty.

Regardless of the law, he's a morally bankrupt and disgusting person for trying to take advantage of a young man in a very vulnerable position.

Not long before the story first surfaced i saw him at the Park bar eating with a highschool age kid. 1 and only time i saw Charles Pugh in public

I went to pughandyou.com. You can tell the web site hasn't been updated in a while, but I wonder why his text line is still active. 313-473-PREZ [[7739). I called it and it's him voice on there.

Until Mr. Pugh is charged with a crime, this story is spent, finished. His conduct was incredibly inappropriate. There's no dispute there. But no provable crime occurred. He moved on [[doing so in a completely unprofessional way). Everybody else might as well move on also. No apology necessary from Mr. Pugh now as long as he stays away from public life.

On another issue, but equally as troubling to Detroiters all the same, is the cynical hustle that the young man's family and lawyer are playing by trying to attach municipal liability to Mr. Pugh's conduct. A better watchdog role for the local media would be to press the lawyer on the precise factual and legal basis for the claim and assess whether the claim is valid one or is simply an extortion attempt dressed up in the form of a legal pleading.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    On another issue, but equally as troubling to Detroiters all the same, is the cynical hustle that the young man's family and lawyer are playing by trying to attach municipal liability to Mr. Pugh's conduct. A better watchdog role for the local media would be to press the lawyer on the precise factual and legal basis for the claim and assess whether the claim is valid one or is simply an extortion attempt dressed up in the form of a legal pleading.
    Exactly. Naming DPS? ok, can see that as he was given access to their facilities. What oversight, etc was in place.... I get that. But the CoD? from the PrideSource article
    Many are wondering why the lawsuit names Bing and the city of Detroit as defendants, but Seikaly revealed his reasoning in his Fox 2 interview: it's because Pugh doesn't have the type of money he's after.

Seikaly said the city "has an obligation to indemnify [Pugh] under the charter."
    I'm not going to bother looking it up, but I'd imagine that duty ends when the conduct has nothing to do with city business. I mean run over a kid in a City car? sure. This? c'mon now.

I have zero regard for Mr. Pugh. Have thought he was an empty suit since he stopped in at the Dyes picnic and demonstrated he didn't have the slightest idea how his unicorn ranch plans would actually work.

however, almost every day we hear how some teen is being charged as an adult while committing a robbery, assault or murder. Yet, in this case the young man is considered a child because he may have been underage.

sure do wish we would make up our minds on this issue.

As far as Mr. Pugh goes: he is a coward, a putz, a fool, but he is a private citizen. I dare anyone to endure a series of "have you quit beating your spouse" questions from a man with a microphone. I agree with Django that Pugh was essentially mugged by the reporter.

Pugh is ruined. His entire life and desire for adoration is over. He is in a personal hell. I see no reason to give him a chance to get out of it by giving him access to a camera and microphone.

All the more reason why I hardly ever watch local news. Sure, as a constituent that didn't vote for him and never cared much for what he did on council, I am curious why he didn't show more responsibility to his job and position when the accusations surfaced. Running away was indefensible. And after this story, I still don't know why. No news here. The story about him living in NYC could have been covered in two paragraphs and without the camera.

I appreciate the thoughtful discussion that has taken place here. I wanted to address the couple of folks who have questioned why we pursued this interview.

This story is not about sex and, believe it or not, wasn't put on Channel 7's precious airwaves to generate ratings or grab attention. Charles Pugh's behavior is significant for two reasons: it took place while he was in positions of great authority [[city council president and the mentor to young men and boys) and he vanished amidst the most chaotic time in Detroit in a generation. What's more, he never had to answer for any of it, and worked very hard to make sure he never would.

Last year, when Charles learned we had questions about his conduct with his student—prompted by the young man’s mother—his reaction was not to address them, but to vanish. Literally. He left in the dark of night, shut off his phone and abandoned his position on the council [[where he and his large staff are paid handsomely with scarce tax dollars).

You should remember that on the night Pugh was the top vote getter in the 2009 primary election, he pledged devotion to Detroit:

"We will work diligently everyday with the other colleagues at the Council table to make the tough decisions," he said. "We're going to make you proud of the people you elect."

It would be improper to disappear like this during good times; these were anything but. As everyone here is aware, Detroit was about to file the largest municipal bankruptcy in the history of the United States. Everyone from city employees to retirees to residents was worried and anxious over what the filing meant and how it would affect them. That Pugh chose to run and hide during this extraordinary time requires an explanation, in and of itself. But this was not the end of Pugh’s most unusual behavior. Far from it.

It is not up for debate that Pugh used manipulation to coerce this young man into taking sexual videos that he did not initially want to do. When he learned the young man needed money for a prom hotel room, Charles pledged to help him out...but only if he made another graphic video.

The student didn't feel comfortable, and told the City Council President. “I dnt think I’m gonna make the vid,” he wrote. “It just feels weird.” Pugh responded. “That’s alotta damn money…ain’t nobody ELSE gone give it to u.”

Charles was not charged with a crime, and we have certainly not said that one took place [[though Oakland County's prosecutor labeled Pugh a predator and said she worries he is up to the same tactics in New York City). But regardless of where Pugh is living now or if he chose to resign, we sought him out in New York for one reason: accountability is not negotiable. He owed the city and this young man an explanation. For what it's worth, Pugh refused to talk to police investigating his behavior, too.

I took no glee in reporting this story; it is incredibly sad...both for the student, but also for Mr. Pugh. As I mentioned last night, Charles had an awful childhood: both of his parents died violently while he was young, and he relied on role models for his upbringing. Thanks largely to them, Charles thrived.

He, maybe more than anyone, knows how invaluable a mentor could be.

Ross
    rjones@wxyz.com

Well done! If Charles Pugh was a priest, many on this board would have supported following him around until he answered a few questions. Why not a man who was next in line to mayor?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Jones Channel 7 View Post
    This story is not about sex and, believe it or not, wasn't put on Channel 7's precious airwaves to generate ratings or grab attention. Charles Pugh's behavior is significant for two reasons: it took place while he was in positions of great authority [[city council president and the mentor to young men and boys) and he vanished amidst the most chaotic time in Detroit in a generation. What's more, he never had to answer for any of it, and worked very hard to make sure he never would......
    You should remember that on the night Pugh was the top vote getter in the 2009 primary election, he pledged devotion to Detroit:
    Imagine if half of these efforts in tracking him down and ambushing him on the street were invested in vetting candidates for high office in Detroit in the first place?

But yea, since this was not all about salacious sexts and vids and all about the public trust being violated, I'm looking forward to Channel 7 hitting Horace Sheffield with something more than bean bags ahead of the primary or how about just getting John Conyers to comment in any meaningful way about why his "wife", former Pro-tem of CC, needed a taxpayer funded lawyer for her corruption trial? heck...where is she now by the way?

Speaking of Pro Tems of CC...George Cushingberry is actually on the council right now, and yet channel 7 thinks Pugh is the "bigger" story? It was bigger for one reason, it came with dirty text messages.

I just fail to see the endgame here. He's ruined. He's a waiter in new york. he'll never hold office again...he'll never work in TV again...and this will follow him the rest of his life. What new information are you bringing us?

Last year, when Charles learned we had questions about his conduct with his student—prompted by the young man’s mother—his reaction was not to address them, but to vanish. Literally.
    And the kid's mother's reaction to finding the texts was to call 1800-Lawyers and not the police.

It is not up for debate that Pugh used manipulation to coerce this young man into taking sexual videos that he did not initially want to do. When he learned the young man needed money for a prom hotel room, Charles pledged to help him out...but only if he made another graphic video.
    operative word there being "man". Again, please in no way take my post to be in any way supportive of Pugh or his actions... but the kid was an 18 yr old adult. I don't recall anyone in the media advocating for treating the "young men" that beat steven utash half to death as anything but adults. As was posted above... you don't get to have it both ways.

Charles was not charged with a crime
    that is usually what happens when no crime was committed.
    and we have certainly not said that one took place [but that doesn't stop us from implying it in the following parenthetical] [[though Oakland County's prosecutor labeled Pugh a predator and said she worries he is up to the same tactics in New York City).
    [[fixed that for ya.)

What did she think about the mother of the victim or the story in general? did you bother to ask her? here's what she said in December of last year.
    Even Assistant Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper, in deciding not to bring any criminal charges against Pugh, questioned Gaines' rationale for coming forward.

Cooper said there are credibility issues in the case.

“When we talk about credibility, there appears to be some type of motive in the reporting of this incident,” Cooper said. “[[The family) went immediately to a civil attorney. The civil attorney went immediately to the press, and nobody went to the police until well, well after this occurred. And then when they went to the police, the young man wouldn’t come forward for another three months.”
    But regardless of where Pugh is living now or if he chose to resign, we sought him out in New York for one reason: accountability is not negotiable.
    evidently only when its beyond mattering in any real sense....
    Last edited by bailey; May-08-14 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Imagine if half of these efforts in tracking him down and ambushing him on the street were invested in vetting candidates for high office in Detroit in the first place?
    i see. if you're the #2 elected official in Detroit and are suspected of wrongdoing, just run away and you don't have to answer for what you did. future crooks, take note.

how about just getting John Conyers to comment in any meaningful way about why his "wife", former Pro-tem of CC, needed a taxpayer funded lawyer for her corruption trial? heck...where is she now by the way?
    um...so, let me get this straight. in your argument that we shouldn't pursue answers from Pugh because he gave up his job 6 months ago, you suggest reporters SHOULD pursue the SPOUSE of a congressman who gave up her public position FIVE years ago. makes perfect sense.

I just fail to see the endgame here. He's ruined. He's a waiter in new york. he'll never hold office again...he'll never work in TV again...and this will follow him the rest of his life. What new information are you bringing us?
    did you WATCH the story? it was awfully straightforward. pugh fled, pugh lied, pugh never had to explain for what he did.

please in no way take my post to be in any way supportive of Pugh or his actions...
    hmm. i betcha.

if it weren't for the media, pugh would still be here. still operate as he did before. still run his mentorship program. forgive me if i won't join you on your lonely island.

Mr. Pingree, while I can't speak for Bailey, I think you have cast B in the undefendable position of being on Pugh's side. I don't see it that way.

For me the Channel 7 guy was making a "click-bait" piece. No news. Nothing new, just a video mugging.

Pugh is a sleazy creep. The kid's mother ain't much better. The kid himself is no hero and has hidden behind his non-status as a minor. He wasn't. He was and is an adult.

now, if Ross Jones really wanted to do some engaging tv he would have had the young man ask Pugh questions. But he didn't do that. Jones followed a beaten man for 15 blocks and got nothing.

nothing. He got no apology, no explanation that made sense, nothing. What we saw was someone hounding a known fool for the entertainment of those fapping away at home.

What is next for Mr. jones, film of rabid dogs being out down?

we just wont agree i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazen Hingree View Post
    i see. if you're the #2 elected official in Detroit and are suspected of wrongdoing, just run away and you don't have to answer for what you did. future crooks, take note.
    No, but thanks for playing. I'm asking what is the endgame here. He's GONE. there are NO CRIMINAL CHARGES. He's been ruined. he's not running for office or trying to get his old anchor job back.

I'm saying the CURRENT #2 on Council is running around town drunk and high and playing the "Do you know who the fuck I am card" when he's caught, followed by the "driving while black" card when the incident gets a little notice. .... but no follow up on that....or the various other lawsuits and ethical complaints against him. nope, off to new york to stalk a guy that has no relevance to Detroit any longer. it's low hanging, salacious fruit instead of real actual investigative journalism.

worked though...we're still talking about it. Got to get those clicks....

um...so, let me get this straight. in your argument that we shouldn't pursue answers from Pugh because he gave up his job 6 months ago, you suggest reporters SHOULD pursue the SPOUSE of a congressman who gave up her public position FIVE years ago. makes perfect sense.
    Um. again, no. I'm saying that no one in the intervening FIVE YEARS [which if he had made it that long,if I'm understanding your point...he would have been free from inquiry?] has gotten any answer from the current ranking member of the house judiciary committee, 50 year Congressman from Detroit CURRENTLY RUNNING for re-election why his wife [[who he still remains married to) needed the taxpayer to fund her public corruption defense. I'm further asking why no one has asked the Congressman what efforts his WIFE [[who he currently remains married to) has made toward repayment of those fees incurred by the Tax payer.

And as a side note, nolan finley put in print the other day something that has been rumored for years, Conyers is apparently mentally unfit for office as he appears to be suffering from dementia if not full blown alzheimers. Where is the ambush interview of Conyers or his staff on that? hell, where is just ANY interview with him on ANY topic?

.... And I noticed you failed to mention the representative from the remaining Detroit kleptocracy waiting in the wings to take Conyers' place that the Media allows to be taken seriously. I mean due to Conyers' incompetence, Sheffield will walk to DC. Where is his ambush interview on his credentials and his sketchy background or why his cronies are all recycled Detroit political gadfly garbage? I mean Adolpho Mongo !?! c'mon Channel 7

What has more relevance to the current challenges facing detroit and the public's trust?
    did you WATCH the story? it was awfully straightforward. pugh fled, pugh lied, pugh never had to explain for what he did.
    .. and he quit. Look, I'd be right there with you and Channel 7 if this was back during the time he was just gone, but still collecting a paycheck. He's gone. He Resigned. Good riddance. We all know why.

let me ask you, WHAT is "accountable" here? What would you require of Pugh that hasn't been demanded of any of the dead beat CC members before?

if it weren't for the media, pugh would still be here. still operate as he did before. still run his mentorship program.
    Sure, and they got their scalp. he's gone. he's not doing any of those things. point of fact, of course, is that the media simply showed up to a press conference called my mom's first set of lawyers, they didn't expose anything.

Would have been nice, though, if the media was this dogged in vetting him in the first place and maybe we'd not have had a financial deadbeat and maladjusted moron with boundary issues on the council in the first place.

I would also note that no one, including you it seems, is the least bit perturbed at Cooper who in December says she thinks the family is lying and then for the interview on 7 thinks Pugh is a predator and a danger. Where's the follow up there on how she let a "predator" walk? Or if she says it's wayne county's problem... where is the walking ambush interview of Worthy on her office's complicity in letting this "predator" walk the streets?

forgive me if i won't join you on your lonely island.
    That's ok... you weren't invited.
    Last edited by bailey; May-09-14 at 09:44 AM.

What's the legal age for offering a kid, @ least half your age, money to show you a close-up of his naked body and private parts? Am I now allowed to proposition 16 year old cheerleaders? I can just see the posts on this forum from that.

Eggsactly. The point being that a mentor and a political leader wrapped in one should be able to distance themselves from sexual play with minors under their "supposed guidance".

I mean, why did the guy not find someone older to engage with, period?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Eggsactly. The point being that a mentor and a political leader wrapped in one should be able to distance themselves from sexual play with minors under their "supposed guidance".

I mean, why did the guy not find someone older to engage with, period?

Because he likes young boys, period. And he put himself in a position, through his stature, where he would have access to young boys. THAT'S the problem I have with this. As someone earlier pointed out, if this was about a Catholic priest, the tone of most of these posts would be totally different.

Because he likes young boys, period. And he put himself in a position, through his stature, where he would have access to young boys. THAT'S the problem I have with this. As someone earlier pointed out, if this was about a Catholic priest, the tone of most of these posts would be totally different.
    ...hate to pick nits on such an icky subject, but he apparently likes young "men" ....not young "boys". that is a distinction with an enormous difference. If this WERE about allegations of criminal sexual conduct with young boys, you're right, the tone would be different.

But it's not because this isn't about child rapists and covering for child rape....it's about terrible judgement and a disregard for appropriate boundaries.
    Last edited by bailey; May-09-14 at 09:42 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast