Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I think what bothers me a little bit about threads like this is the general "tone" of people's expectations. No, Detroit won't "boom" again, never the Automotive Capital Of The World. But then, it won't be the Stove Capital of the World again either.

What I hope would happen is that Detroit and the surrounding area [[it's going to be a joint process, after all) retool itself, figure out a good solid direction to go, then go there, maybe becoming Kansas City with a better baseball team. Not spectacular or fancy, just a good, solid place to work and live. That would be fine by me.

The population in Detroit is still declining. This time it is black flight. But Hispanics, Arabs East Indians and young professional white folks are filling in the void in most inner cities where poor black folks and DEAD [[c) KRAK HEADS used to live. Look at the sudden building boom from Downtown Detroit [[Gilbert town) to Midtown. That will the future of our city.