Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyr View Post
    Isn't it a bit hypocritical for him to tell everyone to give Detroit a chance when he drives home to a $4M mansion in tony Franklin each night? I haven't seen the media address this hypocrisy one time.

We could go a step further, Illitchs are all in Bingham Farms, Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. Penskes are in Birmingham, or out of the state entirely. And Rip Rapson, who runs the Kresge Foundation, also lives in Birmingham.
    No, it's a free country. It's fucking awesome that we can live anywhere we want to if you can pay the rent.

I don't really care where he lives or why, but I think it would be pretty funny if someone asked him this to his face. Like, at a press conference or something.

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I don't really care where he lives or why, but I think it would be pretty funny if someone asked him this to his face. Like, at a press conference or something.
    Indeed. But he has Crain's, Freep and D News wrapped around his finger, so nobody ever will call him out on his hypocrisy.

Indeed. But he has Crain's, Freep and D News wrapped around his finger, so nobody ever will call him out on his hypocrisy.
    I just gave him a call and ran this by him, he said he has a community that he has decided that you should move to and live in. Would you like that?

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I just gave him a call and ran this by him, he said he has a community that he has decided that you should move to and live in. Would you like that?
    Cute. Detroit proper is great...so great that the town's biggest ambassador chooses to live 15 miles away. Message received.

Cute. Detroit proper is great...so great that the town's biggest ambassador chooses to live 15 miles away. Message received.
    Gilbert has championed jobs, investments, business, and the tearing down of abandoned houses.

Nowhere have I seen him telling people that they should live in Detroit. He's certainly encouraged people to do so, but I've never seen him making demands of anyone. Therefore, I don't see any hypocrisy.

Now if Gilbert was pounding his fists in front of the media saying, "EVERYONE SHOULD MOVE BACK TO DETROIT", and then he remains in Franklin, then that would be saying one thing, and doing the opposite.

I think it's funny to be so critical of Gilbert. Name me as many individuals as possible that have made such a large impact on Detroit lately. I can't think of one that has made a greater contribution.

I think eventually we'll think of Duggan as doing more good than Gilbert, as Duggan has the power to change the neighborhoods. However, Gilbert has been a changing force in Detroit, as well as a catalyst to get others to make good changes.

So what do you think the solution is? Should Gilbert move all the jobs back to the suburbs if he chooses not to live in Detroit? Or perhaps should you stop criticizing the gift-horse because he doesn't want to live where you want him to live.
    Last edited by Scottathew; April-27-14 at 07:17 PM.

I agree with this quote.

Also, It makes total sense that all of the entrepreneurs that live in Detroit and have suburban companies need to move out of the city. And any property owner that does not live in the city where they conduct business must move into the city where they conduct business.

BTW, If you think Gilbert has a single residence you are naive.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    No, it's a free country. It's fucking awesome that we can live anywhere we want to if you can pay the rent.