Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Detroit PROPER as a whole is one hundred times more dangerous than Pleasanton, California [[based on www.crimemapping.com). A house left unoccupied will have squatters and scrappers dropping in and causing
    massive damage within three months. This will be distressing to the outside
    investor as well as the owner-occupants next door.
    I would recommend to outside investors, if they wish to purchase a single house but leave it unoccupied in the Detroit area, to select a house in a lower crime area such as a suburb. I would suggest Farmington Hills. It will cost more but your chances of recouping your investment are so much better.
    Owner-occupants are generally very welcome and needed in Detroit. You will want to check out your immediate neighbors by your prospective house. If you are a newbie pass up any house next door to drug dealers. Most houses
    are next door to very nice people. Ask a few prospective neighbors with
    nice houses and yards and they will be glad to give you suggestions and
    describe any problems you might encounter [[with city services, crime, etc.).

One thing not mentioned is that EEV has a very strong community group with outstanding leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    One thing not mentioned is that EEV has a very strong community group with outstanding leadership.
    I'd make a point of attending neighborhood association meetings to get a feel for the community. It should be easy enough to do for a local person who's considering moving there.

Dumpling: Thanks for your advice, this is helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    Detroit PROPER as a whole is one hundred times more dangerous than Pleasanton, California [[based on www.crimemapping.com). A house left unoccupied will have squatters and scrappers dropping in and causing
    massive damage within three months. This will be distressing to the outside
    investor as well as the owner-occupants next door.
    I would recommend to outside investors, if they wish to purchase a single house but leave it unoccupied in the Detroit area, to select a house in a lower crime area such as a suburb. I would suggest Farmington Hills. It will cost more but your chances of recouping your investment are so much better.
    Owner-occupants are generally very welcome and needed in Detroit. You will want to check out your immediate neighbors by your prospective house. If you are a newbie pass up any house next door to drug dealers. Most houses
    are next door to very nice people. Ask a few prospective neighbors with
    nice houses and yards and they will be glad to give you suggestions and
    describe any problems you might encounter [[with city services, crime, etc.).