Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Yeah, the income minimum does seem low. I can't imagine buying any house on that kind of salary, let alone one in B-E, while needing help with the down payment.

edit: whoa I totally read that wrong. You have to be UNDER 32K to get assistance? I no longer agree with the program. To me, that is encouraging people to buy that will likely fail. How are you supposed to succeed in purchasing, rehabbing and upkeep with low income and low capital like that?
    I don't really agree with this. It would be very difficult to maintain an old, large house on 32K, but a smaller house should be manageable if you can do some work yourself. People have to live someplace, and buying is generally cheaper than renting in Detroit, even including maintenance. However, if you buy something three times the size of what you would rent, not.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't really agree with this. It would be very difficult to maintain an old, large house on 32K, but a smaller house should be manageable if you can do some work yourself. People have to live someplace, and buying is generally cheaper than renting in Detroit, even including maintenance. However, if you buy something three times the size of what you would rent, not.
    Yeah, I wouldn't have much issue with it on the lower-cost, smaller homes. But it's targeted toward the nicer areas with larger homes. To me, they're aiming at the wrong market with this strategy. It would be a better program if it focused on some of the cheaper areas, not neighborhoods like Boston-Edison.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't have much issue with it on the lower-cost, smaller homes. But it's targeted toward the nicer areas with larger homes. To me, they're aiming at the wrong market with this strategy. It would be a better program if it focused on some of the cheaper areas, not neighborhoods like Boston-Edison.
    They did mention that eventually this program would expand to other neighborhoods.

I noticed that the city is now rolling out a "side lot" program as part of the auction site.

http://www.buildingdetroit.org/sidelots

Although there is no auction involved, as you have to live next to the lot and the cost is set at $100.00. Seems like a good idea.

The homes near Marygrove are up for auction as well as the rehab grants provided by Talmer Bank. Grants are 20% forgiven for each year the buyer lives in the home for up to five years and of course the grants can't be used to buy homes, only rehab ones already bought.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...bank-authority

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    The homes near Marygrove are up for auction as well as the rehab grants provided by Talmer Bank. Grants are 20% forgiven for each year the buyer lives in the home for up to five years and of course the grants can't be used to buy homes, only rehab ones already bought.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...bank-authority
    I really like the city's new approach. A lot of interesting info in this recent article in the Freep:

http://www.freep.com/article/2014071...homes-nuisance

Some of the points:

-The city originally targeted 79 homes in the Marygrove area; that increased to 90 after getting title to some from the county.
    -Of the 90, consent agreements have been signed by 35 owners to get the house repaired and occupied.
    -The city has gained title to 22 houses after taking the owners to court, and is in the legal process on others.
    -Unfortunately, 20 are slated for demo, but I'm sure that would be higher the longer any of the others sat empty. Paging Nicole Curtis: I'm sure she could save some of those 20.....

I really like this approach of targeting a significant number of homes within a relatively small area. Ninety homes within a 16 block area can have noticeable results, and hopefully seeing homes being fixed up and occupied instead of abandoned and stripped will give other residents reason to make improvements. Its an area of nice homes, but like so many its pockmarked by blighted and vacant homes. It would be fantastic for the mind set on some of these areas to change to one of "its hit bottom and is on the rebound."

So many houses with interesting roof lines and brick work, such as this one on Cherrylawn:

Name:  Cherrylawn.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  54.4 KB

As they say, "they don't make 'em like this anymore."
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; July-26-14 at 02:03 PM.

They really don't. Or if they try to, it ends up looking ugly as shit. That's what kinda worries me about vacant lots in areas like these. If these neighborhoods came back and there was demand for new construction, the new houses would probably stick out like a sore thumb.

I went to the Marygrove open house last weekend. While the neighborhood seems nice and is in fairly good condition, there were a lot of empty houses on the five blocks where houses were being auctioned. Easily a third were vacant, some with for rent signs in the windows. That being said, I am still interested in buying a house in the neighborhood.
    The selling prices, however, were all over the place, the home in the poorest condition, but still completely salvageable, sold for only $1,000 while the largest and in the best condition sold for $52,000. I really wonder what the composition of the neighborhood will be like once everything is sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    I went to the Marygrove open house last weekend. While the neighborhood seems nice and is in fairly good condition, there were a lot of empty houses on the five blocks where houses were being auctioned. Easily a third were vacant, some with for rent signs in the windows. That being said, I am still interested in buying a house in the neighborhood.
    The selling prices, however, were all over the place, the home in the poorest condition, but still completely salvageable, sold for only $1,000 while the largest and in the best condition sold for $52,000. I really wonder what the composition of the neighborhood will be like once everything is sold.
    Welcome!

With the city targeting this area, hopefully it will improve. If you do in fact bid and acquire a property, please let us know how things work out. I'm sure many here would be curious.

For the lookie loos like me, the auction site has new Boston-Edison and EEV listings.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Welcome!

With the city targeting this area, hopefully it will improve. If you do in fact bid and acquire a property, please let us know how things work out. I'm sure many here would be curious.

For the lookie loos like me, the auction site has new Boston-Edison and EEV listings.
    Thank you,

I am definitely watching closely. I believe there are about 35 city owned properties in the neighborhood working their way to auction. I'd like to have more cash but if the price is right I will pick one up.

I live in Boston Edison so I also went to that auction this past Saturday. Most of those were in rough condition and it was obvious most of the people there were just looking. I'm interested to see how those six figure projects will pan out.

Whoa.

Starting next week they'll be auctioning off homes forreal forreal in the hood.

They mostly seem to be multiple units.

Be very interesting to see if, and how much they're sold for.

If they actually start auctioning off homes at Six and Van Dyke where I grew up I will be impressed.

They're selling homes in my old hood betwee Dexter and Linwood. Well, duplexes really. I wonder if for the duplexes you only need one occupant or both units to be occupied to satisfy the requirements.

@Detroiteronthewestcoast & Shai_hulud, The homes are moving pretty well , and some are slowing closing on them .

Most are selling on the site, some people aren't really clear on what's expected once they "win" it's going to cost a lot to rehab these houses .

I meet pretty much every person who wins a bid and some are excited to get to work getting their contractors in asap.

It really is a labor of love the winners have for these houses and for the city, you could almost build a new house in the city for the amount when it's all said and done .

Most of the people who win have a real interest in the city which is good .

On the other hand you wont' believe what people want off the demo list ?

I'm amazed everyday ! some of these house need untold amounts of work and money but people still try .

What I'm finding is their is a BIG push for the north end , with the farming groups ect , some are already asking for places up near the state fair grounds, It's starting to get pretty tight on places available up there .
    Last edited by Detroitdave; August-05-14 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    They're selling homes in my old hood betwee Dexter and Linwood. Well, duplexes really. I wonder if for the duplexes you only need one occupant or both units to be occupied to satisfy the requirements.
    I want to buy a flat somewhere in this area or between the Lodge Freeway and Linwood. It's the only housing and area in Detroit that fits where I am in life now. It's a risk. This area could easily remain the same way it's been for the last 40 years. Outside of Boston-Edison and Russell Woods it's ROUGH.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    @Detroiteronthewestcoast & Shai_hulud, The homes are moving pretty well , and some are slowing closing on them .

Most are selling on the site, some people aren't really clear on what's expected once they "win" it's going to cost a lot to rehab these houses .

I meet pretty much every person who wins a bid and some are excited to get to work getting their contractors in asap.

It really is a labor of love the winners have for these houses and for the city, you could almost build a new house in the city for the amount when it's all said and done .

I'm amazed everyday ! some of these house need untold amounts of work and money but people still try .

What I'm finding is their is a BIG push for the north end , with the farming groups ect , some are already asking for places up near the state fair grounds, It's starting to get pretty tight on places available up there .
    I'm amazed also but I think I understand why. It's like restoring a rusted out Yenko Camaro or Boss 429. If you were to build houses like this today they would be not be affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    I'm amazed also but I think I understand why. It's like restoring a rusted out Yenko Camaro or Boss 429. If you were to build houses like this today they would be not be affordable.
    Absolutely ! we've all heard the term " Detroit houses have good bones" and they dont' and wont built them like that anymore " well it's true and that's what some people see as value .

@detroitdave: In what capacity do you meet with the buyers?

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    I want to buy a flat somewhere in this area or between the Lodge Freeway and Linwood. It's the only housing and area in Detroit that fits where I am in life now. It's a risk. This area could easily remain the same way it's been for the last 40 years. Outside of Boston-Edison and Russell Woods it's ROUGH.
    I never actually realized how close BE was since I mostly stayed north of Sturtevant. South of there always seemed pretty sketchy to me. Lots of great architecture though for what otherwise was rapidly built working class/middle class housing. It's an area I really hope to see come back and thrive but I don't have any expectation that it will.

@Detroitieronthewestcoast, check your inbox here .
    I explained my capacity of how I meet the buyers.
    I can't go into details on the thread .
    Thanks

@Detroitieronthewestcoast, check your inbox here .
    I explained my capacity of how I meet the buyers.
    I can't go into details on the thread .
    Thanks
    Could you PM me also? I will more than likely be looking to purchase soon and would like any info I can get on the process.

Anyone still following this?

Petoskey-Ostego, Virginia Park and Russell Woods all saw very little interest. Not surprising as the neighborhoods are rather rough and composed mostly of duplexes. There are also a couple of re-listings on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    Anyone still following this?

Petoskey-Ostego, Virginia Park and Russell Woods all saw very little interest. Not surprising as the neighborhoods are rather rough and composed mostly of duplexes. There are also a couple of re-listings on there.
    I, for one, am still following the auctions. I find the differing levels of interest in the various neighborhoods to be interesting, and not surprising. I hope a few more of those duplexes find good owners and can be fixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I, for one, am still following the auctions. I find the differing levels of interest in the various neighborhoods to be interesting, and not surprising. I hope a few more of those duplexes find good owners and can be fixed up.
    The auction is a canary in a coal mine. It will give ammunition to those who want to do wholesale clearing.

when people "win", how long do they have to actually pay? Hopefully it has to be on the spot or 30 days at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    when people "win", how long do they have to actually pay? Hopefully it has to be on the spot or 30 days at the most.
    10% of sale price within 72 hours. 60 days to pay in full if less than $20,000. 90 days if over $20,000.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast