Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default ESPN's 30 for 30 "Bad Boys" Detroit Pistons

ESPN's excellent 30 for 30 series is doing a documentary on the "Bad Boys" Detroit Pistons this Thursday April 17th at 8:00 PM.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-13-14 at 12:46 PM.

I wish they had won in 88 or 91.. it could have been a three-peat.

It's ironic the last "Bad Boy" associated with the Pistons is also being shown the gate this week.....a double feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    It's ironic the last "Bad Boy" associated with the Pistons is also being shown the gate this week.....a double feature?
    He's not totally leaving. He's being kept around as Gores advisor, so he'll still have a opinion on who's hired as GM and coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    He's not totally leaving. He's being kept around as Gores advisor, so he'll still have a opinion on who's hired as GM and coach.
    Gores didn't like his opinion to keep Mo Cheeks......

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Gores didn't like his opinion to keep Mo Cheeks......
    Even though I didn't think Cheeks was the right choice, they totally screwed him by not giving him enough time to succeed. The roster that Dumars gave him didn't help either. Josh Smith is a natural 4 man, and Dumars signed him to play the 3 spot, which created spacing issues with Drummond and Monroe. Also, Brandon Jennings didn't turn out to be any better than Knight was. Outside shooting was non-existent and KCP didn't pan out being the 8th pick in the draft. They should have drafted Trey Burke instead.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-14-14 at 08:58 PM.

Anyone believe the Harlem Globetrotters could beat the Pistons, just askin'?

The documentary was very good I thought. Although they didn't have much to mention about Vinnie Johnson, who was a big part of their team. I guess not to many people watched from the lack of responses on here. Too bad if they didn't
    it was very well done.

GUSHI Guest

I really enjoyed it, brought back memories of me running out on my balcony in Detroit, that was a real nice stretch.

Looks like Adrian Dantley was interviewed in relation to the documentary, and looks as if he's still not really a fan of Isiah... http://www.freep.com/article/2014041...y-isiah-thomas

Seeing that 30 for 30 made me hate the Bulls ALLLL over again. I've been thinking about trying to watch Bulls Basketball since I've been living in Chicago for 5 years now, but I just can't do it.

I just finished watching this yesterday. Great memories. I remember them losing to the Celtics, then overcoming them, only to have to go through the same thing with the Lakers. I was only 14 when they won the first title, and I remember that I got the Bad Boys championship t-shirt that they all wore, the one with all the caricatures, and you couldn't peel that thing off me all summer.

Funny how they gave a one sentence mention to how the Celtics walked off early when the Pistons beat them in 1988, but then they spent five minutes on how awful it was when the Pistons did the same thing to the Bulls in 1991.

Agree on hating the Bulls. Jordan orchestrating the snub of Isiah is worse than anything that any of the Bad Boys did. They may have played dirty, but they left it on the court. Jordan played dirty off the court, and for that I'll never respect him.

Amazing how bitter Dantley remains after all these years. I'm guessing that Vinnie Johnson must have declined to be on the show.

All in all, very good and fun to watch. If nothing else, it served as a reminder to Pistons fans that Isiah was our star. I think all of his missteps as an exec have tarnished his image, but between the Tigers and Wings championships, we had the Bad Boys, and Isiah was the face of that championship team.

This documentary shows how underrated this team was. Think about it, they went through the Bulls[[MJ), Celtics[[Bird), and Lakers[[Magic&Kareem) to win their first championship. The Bulls never really had as hard of a rout to any of their rings.The Lakers and Magic J. were old when they met the Bulls in the finals. Here's a few of my own takeaways...

Laimbeer foul call at the end of Game 6 was ridiculous.

Parrish 2 piece blindside of Laimbeer was total bullshit, "The Chief" wasnt tossed!

Magic Johnson looked pretty immature when he clothes-lined Thomas in that finals game.

The Bulls were pretty annoying with all the crying but MJ does credit the Pistons as the catalyst for all the titles. He evens questions if it would have happened if not for going through Detroit. That's about the highest praise you will get from an egomaniac like Jordan.

The Pippen Migraine thing was bullshit, I really dislike Pippen.

The Dream-Team snub was dishonorable by all involved. I get this suspicion that Magic might be more of a snake than Isiah. I like how how Isiah blew up Stockton for 45pts in a game following the snub.

This team was really fun, I wasn't old enough to really remember anything about the team so this was very educational. Generations of fans will be able
    to watch this and learn about them. "Badddd BoySSSS"